Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maternity wear? page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

Maternity wear?

Shop Now
    So I've just found out that I'm pregnant for the first time, 3 weeks today, and I'm already thinking ahead! Very typical of me ...lol.
    Anyway, I'm wondering if one really needs maternity wear or if it's possibly to get away with normal clothes? I've got a few things that I imagine will fit even with a big tummy, but that's mostly tops and dresses. How about trousers/ skirts?
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Everyone is different, it's really going to depend on how your body grows. If you're a tiny person then you might get away with pants/skirts that are stretchy.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations!

I know many paleo/primal ladies have not gained much weight during pregnancy (one girl only gained 6lbs the whole pregnancy), so I would imagine you could probably get away with wearing normal clothes as weight gain seems minimal. Especially if you utilize pieces like leggings, floaty tops, etc that have a lot of give, it could accomodate your expanding stomach

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations! Best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Thank you all.

I'm just it happened now that I'm primal and that I've managed to build up a good level of fitness. I really want to do my best for the little one.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

perl is offline Junior Member
    Congrats! One of the best investments I made was in some maternity tank tops (that I embarrassingly still wear - my youngest is 2.5!) and in the belly bands (trademarked under Bella bands, I believe, but there are tons of knockoffs). These will allow you to layer shirts (the tanks are long - my faves are from the Gap) and the belly bands will allow you to wear non-maternity pants for longer as well as cover up after the baby is born. Do a little digging online and you will find lots of options for these. Happy and healthy 9 months to you - how exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by perl View Post
    Congrats! One of the best investments I made was in some maternity tank tops (that I embarrassingly still wear - my youngest is 2.5!) and in the belly bands (trademarked under Bella bands, I believe, but there are tons of knockoffs). These will allow you to layer shirts (the tanks are long - my faves are from the Gap) and the belly bands will allow you to wear non-maternity pants for longer as well as cover up after the baby is born. Do a little digging online and you will find lots of options for these. Happy and healthy 9 months to you - how exciting!
    Thank you very much.

Belly band sounds good, I will have to look for that.
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what kind of work you do, and again how tall you are. Being your first baby, you probably won't get very big. I've had three kids and never gained much with any of them. My last one I gained 15lbs and he was 8lbs 10oz at a little over a week early. However because he was my third baby I got huge, I kept have people asking me if I was having twins. If you stay thin you probably can get away with oversized t-shirts and sweatpants. I grew out of my normal clothes at around 10 weeks with my first and earlier with each baby after that. Snap sided maternity pants are less conspicuous than the ones with stretch panels. Shirts are easier, I just 'borrowed' my husbands shirts, because He is a stocky tall man and I am about 7 inches shorter than him and about 120 lbs lighter.

I wouldn't step on the scale for about six to eight weeks after the baby is born, you won't get anything like a realistic reading. Your body changes so much in those few weeks afterward it just takes that long for your weight to stabilize. With my first two I was 3lbs heavier than prepregnancy and with my last I was 17lbs lighter then where I started. I had a pretty rough pregnancy with my last and an even worse delivery. It took a long time to recover from it.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    what maternity clothes I needed, I didn't need until the third trimester.

if you work in an office, you might get a pair of nice maternity trousers and a nice skirt. then some tank tops, and if you have suit jackets, wear those open. A lot of the ladies here just get a couple of items of clothing and put it under their normal suit jackets and accessories.

for me, i was able to wear my own jeans all the way through, buttoning them under my belly. I wore maternity tank tops, and I had one maternity dress that my mother insisted upon that i wore once. So, i wouldn't get a dress unless you wear a lot of dresses.

i wore my normal yoga pants plus the maternity tank tops, plus my normal denim jacket, plus ballet flats, plus my normal accessories.

I think that -- bare minimum -- one does well with 3 maternity tank tops. and the belly band was hot (and it was summer) so i ended up rarely wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingvildr View Post
    Depends on what kind of work you do, and again how tall you are. Being your first baby, you probably won't get very big. I've had three kids and never gained much with any of them. My last one I gained 15lbs and he was 8lbs 10oz at a little over a week early. However because he was my third baby I got huge, I kept have people asking me if I was having twins. If you stay thin you probably can get away with oversized t-shirts and sweatpants. I grew out of my normal clothes at around 10 weeks with my first and earlier with each baby after that. Snap sided maternity pants are less conspicuous than the ones with stretch panels. Shirts are easier, I just 'borrowed' my husbands shirts, because He is a stocky tall man and I am about 7 inches shorter than him and about 120 lbs lighter.

I wouldn't step on the scale for about six to eight weeks after the baby is born, you won't get anything like a realistic reading. Your body changes so much in those few weeks afterward it just takes that long for your weight to stabilize. With my first two I was 3lbs heavier than prepregnancy and with my last I was 17lbs lighter then where I started. I had a pretty rough pregnancy with my last and an even worse delivery. It took a long time to recover from it.
    I'm about 5' 9" I think and quite slim. I wear a uniform(shirt and trousers or skirt) at work, but I think I will be able to wear my own clothes when the uniform gets too small.

So you tend to get bigger when you've been pregnant before? I wonder why ...

Thanks for your advice by the way.
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast