Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Here Uses a Cheat "DAY"? page

TopFatLossTrainer Guest

Shop Now

Does anyone here utilize an entire cheat "day" to reset leptin levels and rev up metabolism?

I've done a lot of research on this controversial subject and the literature is quite convincing.

I've been using a once weekly cheat "day" followed by a 24-hr fast day with great success and have had tons of my clients experience the same impressive results.

I still see a lot of hesitation when it comes to cheating on your diet for an entire day, however.

Just curious if anyone else is utilizing an entire cheat day, followed up with an IF for quick fat loss results....

I love this strategy not only for the fat loss results, but the mental benefit of being able to look forward to a cheat day every week is HUGE in my book.

Let me know if you've tried using the cheat day before and what your results have been.

Keep in mind that I do a 24-hour fast the day after my cheat day, to create a huge caloric deficit in midst of a newly recharged metabolism. I do not think it would be "as" effective if it wasn't followed by a fast.

The other 5 days are pretty much PB-like...

Let me know your thoughts.

- Brad Campbell

lcme is offline Senior Member

By cheat day do you mean purposely eating non-primal foods?

Assuming you are talking about a day where you eat more than usual; I do think that for conventional diets this works. I feel that the PB on the other hand already has this built in, some days you gorge on foods (a good hunting day) and some days you IF (a not so good hunting day).

I really can't see the benefit of purposely not eating primal foods for a day would be though.

trypleight is offline Junior Member

I use to have Sunday as a cheat day. I also tried having a cheat meal after the Sunday thing failed. In both cases I found cheating ignites cravings; as if non primal food were a drug. The longer I refrain, the easier it becomes. I find will power is the greatest tool in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. No excuses.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I find that "cheating" results in my body punishing me... if we're talking about non-primal foods. For example, today I thought chicken fingers sounded like a good idea (I'm pregnant and have had sort of an aversion to most meat, so when my mind said "chicken fingers" I said fine... maybe will be a good way to get in some protein.)

I ate them and they were "fine" but I could literally taste the gross oil they used for frying. It left a gross taste in my mouth and later on my throat was sore (inflammation from the breading/oils maybe?).

On Thanksgiving I allowed myself to eat cornbread stuffing and corn casserole - we were at a friend's house and those were family recipes of hers... the bloating and indigestion was horrid afterward!!!

So if you are asking "Do you take an entire day to eat nonprimal foods?" the answer is no.

If you are asking about just eating more or maybe more primal carbs (maybe a fruit heavy day) or indulging in some dark chocolate ... sure, but that's not cheating. As lcme said, it's "built in." And I don't plan those days... they come and go as they please. Just like IF - which is something I personally don't plan though I know a lot of people do.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Newly diagnosed celiac, so no cheating grains wise, but I find the idea of a carb re-feed followed by a fast interesting. Next plateau I may give it a try.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Since I'm bulking up right now, I "cheat" pretty often, but always within the primal bounds. I always eat acceptable foods, but a LOT of it, especially on Sundays.

I still have no desire to eat real junk food - it's just not appealing at all. Rather, I cheat on bananas, almonds, cottage cheese, sweet potatoes, etc... but since this is the last week of winter vacation, I might do something a little nicer... ummm that Korean restaurant looks good. =] Rice cakes!!!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Katt is offline Senior Member

I&#39;d also like to know what you mean by cheating. Being gluten intolerant, grains aren&#39;t something I can play around with. Some fridays I have more carbs, as the cafe where I work shuts down its grill and I can&#39;t get an omelet. The half cold scrambled eggs they leave out are disgusting, so I content myself with bacon or sausage and some potatoes.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

shepherd is offline Junior Member

Ditto FlyNavyWife - when I do stray from PB types of foods (especially into the realm of processed carbs and breads), my body administers a good correction - a pretty annoying headache. The fries and ice cream I had on my husband&#39;s B-day gave me the first one. The mac and cheese and fries that came with a free meal of BBQ yesterday gave me the second. I&#39;m going to be thinking long and hard before I let a third one hit me like that. Ouch!

In your face, Space Coyote!

TopFatLossTrainer Guest

hmmm, so the consensus is that most are anti-cheat it seems.

i do mean a no-holds barred cheat day, where greasy french fries, ice cream, cookies, pizza etc is not only fair game, but encouraged.

you see, insulin is directly related to leptin levels and a high GI/fatty meal is what will cause the greatest insulin spike and therefore, boost in leptin.

this has to be maintained for 8-12 hours (therefore a cheat "meal" would be insufficient) to substantially raise leptin levels.

i do agree that it can be a little hard on the stomach, especially when you&#39;ve been primal for some time.

it&#39;s pretty interesting stuff - hard concept for most people to wrap their head around - does seem counterintuitive, but the underlying mechanisms make a lot of sense and the results have been great.

i did a post that explains this in detail on my blog, but i&#39;m not going to post the link, as i don&#39;t want to imply self-promotion.

simply here to discuss the topics i love and help others in any way possible.

i encourage everyone to do some research into the subject with an open mind and see what you find. but then again, "if it ain&#39;t broke, don&#39;t fix it."

problem is, most dieters plateau after so long because of eating too "clean" for too long. starvation mechanism kicks in, leptin levels plummet, circulating thyroid hormone levels decrease, hunger hormones kick in and the body fights against you to keep every last ounce of body fat.

the solution to this, i&#39;ve found is a strategically planned cheat day once every 7days and when followed up with an IF...can be very productive for rapid and consistent fat loss.

-b

Vick is offline Senior Member

@Brad

How long is your fast?

I&#39;ve been doing this for almost 6 months. My focus has been based on insulin resistance. I&#39;m reasonably happy with my results. I&#39;m just really starting to research about leptin

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast