Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Here Uses a Cheat "DAY"? page 2

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

@ Brad

A little hard on the stomach? So you seem to be promoting a poison day every now and then no? Why not provide us here with links or references to research suggesting that a junk food (ie. cheats) day raises leptin levels by spiking insulin. Never mind, I went to your blog and searched leptin and came up with 3. Two of them had no support what so ever about your claims although one had really great photos of half-naked chics

Here is the one that explains what you mean by "cheat day".

I’m taking my cheat day today and I’m starting to feel like K-Fed looks – fat and sloppy. It’s almost like my neighbors know that I’m cheating today too, because when I came home from my caffeine run, there was a huge bowl of Halloween candy that someone had sneakily left at my front door…two words: CHA – CHING.

So I just polished off a half-bag of the Baby Ruth candy bars and now my stomach could almost serve as a table for my laptop. Earlier I ordered a large pepperoni pizza and took down the whole damn thing. It was probably the cheesiest and greasiest pizza I’ve ever tasted in my life…eating it was wonderful and disgusting at the same time.

Let’s see…what else have I devoured today? I made nachos several times, had about a pound of string cheese, apples and cinnamon oatmeal packets with peanut butter and honey added into the mix (cuz’ that’s how I roll)…and a bacon cheeseburger, french fries and spinach artichoke dip with chips for supper. By the way, it’s only 7 pm and who knows how much more I’ll eat before the day is through.

One of these cheat days I’ll have to get out the Flip Cam and post some footage so you can have a visual of this madness. Seriously, K-Fed has nothing on me.

So what’s the point of me bragging about putting down such a massive amount of low-quality calories on my cheat day?

Inspiration.

That’s right…you can still overindulge on comfort food and lose fat at the same time, as long as it’s built strategically into your fat loss nutrition plan. In fact, it actually HELPS you boost metabolism and get lean, when done correctly.

Here’s the simplified explanation of how cheating on your diet gives you a sexy, flat stomach…

A typical diet has you fighting your own metabolism week after week and month after month. The longer you make it, the more your metabolism slows down and tries to store extra fat. When you finally throw in the towel and start eating a ‘normal’ amount of calories again…you can really blow up like K-Fed because of your metabolism getting ‘Chris-Browned’ (aka battered…low blow, I know…sorry Chris) by the previous weeks of restrictive eating.

K FedBy intentionally having a high-carb cheat day at the end of a week, we cause leptin levels to spike. This is important because low leptin levels caused by prolonged dieting will lead to a decrease in metabolism and an increase in appetite. That’s about as cool as K-Fed rhyming while Britney Spears handles the beatbox.

However, with strategic cheating, or carb cycling, we can trick the body, avoid starvation mode and maintain a high metabolism week after week. Plus, you get the psychological benefit of not wanting to eat your arm you’re so hungry.

There’s always a cheat day right around the corner to look forward to and reward yourself with when that day hits. And after the planned cheat day, you’re so freakin’ disgusted by the obscene amount of junk food you ate, that you’re not even tempted to cheat the next few days.

In fact, the day after is a great opportunity to cash-in on a fasting day (or at least a very low calorie day) and burn through some blubber with a newly-revved metabolism. Fasting is another advanced fat loss technique that I’ll break down for you in an upcoming blog post.

For now, just know that feeling like K-Fed looks and being a cheater too, are both okay as long as it’s just one day a week and it’s planned.

Now go get to cheating.

Honestly. You know you can spike insulin with perfectly healthy carbs don't you? I mean half bags of Baby Ruth bars raises leptin and you have scientific proof of this and follow that up with a large pepperoni pizza and other junk food too?

Also, you are already promoting your blog with your user name linked to your blog. Nothing wrong with that as many here do. But no need to remark that you don't want to imply self promotion because you have already done that. And based on your initial thread topic you appear to me at least to be self-promoting. Have you even read Primal Blueprint? Do you know what this forum is about?

Some of us are here because we know better. Some of us are here because we cheated all of our lives and want to learn better. I found your post rather perplexing and not much more encouraging than typical conventional wisdom of "eating healthy balanced meals frequently throught the day with whole grains" and yadda yadda yadda with no scientific support for it. I'm pretty much a newbie here but who are you trying to fool?

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

soror is offline Senior Member

No GLUTEN ever, ever, ever!! Grains expect in small amts very rare(like every couple of months or 1 x a month). However, I do have carb-up days. I need to work on a better system though. I had the stomach flu a few weeks ago and have been wonky since then- Sundays has always been my feast day as well. Like I will have fruit and dark chocolate and maybe starchier veggies and eat more often.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

TopFatLossTrainer Guest

@Asturian

Why are you so angry? As a Doctor of Pharmacy, I've done my fair share of scientific research and all of my suggestions/beliefs are backed by BOTH extensive research AND real world experience.

At 4.3% body fat and having helped many others to achieve fat loss, I thought others may be interested in incorporating a cheat/fast combo worked into their primal diet for potentially better results.

According to Mark himself, he encourages everyone to critically assess everything they come across, especially in regards to health and fitness.

Am I not allowed in the forum if I have a slight variation from the PB?

You are incorrect in saying that healthy carbs would lead to an equivalent surge in insulin and subsequent bump in leptin levels. All carbs would stimulate some insulin release, yes...but Baby Ruth's, pizza and other high GI carbs combo'd with fat produce an exponentially greater response.

As you requested....

Another post that describes in detail how this works: http://www.topfatlosstrainer.com/2009/12/12/cheat-day-for-rapid-fat-loss/

Citations for my RESEARCH:

1. Dubuc GR, Havel PJ et al. Changes of serum leptin and endocrine and metabolic parameters after 7 days of energy restriction in men and women. Metabolism. 1998 Apr;47(4):429-34.

2. Klein S, et al. Leptin production during early starvation in lean and obese women. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2000 Feb;278(2):E280-4.

3. Dirlewanger M, et al. Effects of short-term carbohydrate or fat overfeeding on energy expenditure and plasma leptin concentrations in healthy female subjects. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Nov;24(11):1413-8.

4. Ahima RS, Flier JS. Leptin. Annu Rev Physiol. 2000;62:413-37. Review.

5. Bowles L, Kopelman P. Leptin: of mice and men? J Clin Pathol 2001 Jan;54(1):1-3

6. Ahima RS, et al. Leptin regulation of neuroendocrine systems. Front Neuroendocrinolgy 2000 Jul;21(3):263-307.

7. van Dijk G. The role of leptin in regulation of energy balance and adiposity. J Neuroendocrinol 2001 Oct;13(10):913-21.

8. Rosenbaum M et. al. Low dose leptin administration reverses effects of sustained weight-reduction on energy expenditure and circulating concentrations of thyroid hormones. J Clin Endocrinol Metab (2002) 87:2391-2394.

9. Douyon L, Schteingart DE. Effect of obesity and starvation on thyroid hormone, growth hormone, and cortisol secretion. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2002 Mar;31(1):173-89.

10. Kennedy A et al. The metabolic significance of leptin in humans: gender-based differences in relationship to adiposity, insulin sensitivity, and energy expenditure. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997 Apr;82(4):1293-300.

10. Havel PJ et al. Relationship of plasma leptin to plasma insulin and adiposity in normal weight and overweight women: effects of dietary fat content and sustained weight loss. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996 Dec;81(12):4406-13.

11. Doucet E et al. Changes in energy expenditure and substrate oxidation resulting from weight loss in obese men and women: is there an important contribution of leptin? J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000 Apr;85(4):1550-6.

12. Nicklas BJ et al. Gender differences in the response of plasma leptin concentrations to weight loss in obese older individuals. Obes Res. 1997 Jan;5(1):62-8.

13. Racette SB, Kohrt WM et al. Response of serum leptin concentrations to 7 d of energy restriction in centrally obese African Americans with impaired or diabetic glucose tolerance. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Jul;66(1):33-7.

14. Havel PJ et al. High-fat meals reduce 24-h circulating leptin concentrations in women. Diabetes. 1999 Feb;48(2):334-41.

15. Borden G et al. Effect of fasting on serum leptin in normal human subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996 Sep;81(9):3419-23.

16. Miyawaki T et al. Clinical implications of leptin and its potential humoral regulators in long-term low-calorie diet therapy for obese humans. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2002 Jul;56(7):593-600.

17. Carantoni M et al. Can changes in plasma insulin concentration explain the variability in leptin response to weight loss in obese women with normal glucose tolerance? J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999 Mar;84(3):869-72.

18. Zimmet P. Serum leptin concentration, obesity, and insulin resistance in Western Samoans: cross sectional study. BMJ. 1996 Oct 19;313(7063):965-9.

19. Tuominen et al. Leptin and thermogenesis in humans. Acta Physiol Scand. 1997 May;160(1):83-7.

20. Keim NL, Stern JS, Havel PJ. Relation between circulating leptin concentrations and appetite during a prolonged, moderate energy deficit in women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1998 Oct;68(4):794-801.

21. Haluzik M et al. The influence of short-term fasting on serum leptin levels, and selected hormonal and metabolic parameters in morbidly obese and lean females. Endocr Res. 2001 Feb-May;27(1-2):251-60.

22. Mars M et al. Leptin and insulin responses to a four-day energy-deficient diet in men with different weight history. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003 May;27(5):574-81.

23. Pratley RE et al. Plasma leptin responses to fasting in Pima Indians. Am J Physiol. 1997 Sep;273(3 Pt 1):E644-9.

I'll end in asking you the same thing - where's your scientific proof that strategic cheating DOESN'T provide the benefits I'm suggesting?

Successful Cheater,

Brad Campbell

TopFatLossTrainer Guest

@Vick - I follow the cheat day up with a 24-hr fast and have had great success with this method. After an all-out cheat day, I don't really feel like eating the next day anyways. Look into leptin - it's a game-changer for sure.

-b

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I do a cheat meal once a week... usually pizza or a bar and grill bacon burger and fries

It helps me keep on track...

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Not angry. Perplexed. As in confused and bewildered.

@Asturian

Why are you so angry? As a Doctor of Pharmacy, I've done my fair share of scientific research and all of my suggestions/beliefs are backed by BOTH extensive research AND real world experience.

At 4.3% body fat and having helped many others to achieve fat loss, I thought others may be interested in incorporating a cheat/fast combo worked into their primal diet for potentially better results.

According to Mark himself, he encourages everyone to critically assess everything they come across, especially in regards to health and fitness.

Am I not allowed in the forum if I have a slight variation from the PB?

You are incorrect in saying that healthy carbs would lead to an equivalent surge in insulin and subsequent bump in leptin levels. All carbs would stimulate some insulin release, yes...but Baby Ruth's, pizza and other high GI carbs combo'd with fat produce an exponentially greater response.

As you requested....

<snip> ...

Citations for my RESEARCH:

Until I have a chance to go through your citation, I disagree that you cannot get an equivalent insulin spike from healthy carbs like potatoes; and if fat is a requirement then there is always bacon and potatoes. Baby Ruths are loaded with HFCS and trans fats and who knows what else. Trust me, I know that there are healthier ways to jack up insulin than gluten grains and sugars or Baby Ruth bars.

Of course you are welcome to the forum. Who am I to restrict you. I am just awed and dumbfounded by advising people to eat half bags of Baby Ruth bars. That&#39;s all.

Anyway, thanks for posting the list of references.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

TopFatLossTrainer Guest

Fair enough, have a look at the research and I think you&#39;ll find my points are validated. BTW, Baby Ruth bars are by no means a "cheat day requirement" and are simply what happened to show up in my kitchen that particular cheat day I was describing. Any high GI carbs combo&#39;d with fat will do the trick, as this produces a synergistic effect when it comes to resetting leptin levels.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Seriously? Do you think we&#39;re all "ready to eat off our own arms" and starving with calorie restriction?

In your post you said "A typical diet has you fighting your own metabolism week after week and month after month."

Primal Blueprint isn&#39;t a "typical diet." This way of eating is a "real food"-focused plan. And honestly, I don&#39;t see how you can go wrong eating what nature provides versus what guys in lab coats create.

And the reason most of us feel like crap when we "cheat" (non primal foods) is because that stuff IS crap... industrial oils, refined grains, etc.

Also, if you want a really high insulin response, wouldn&#39;t you just want straight-up glucose? I mean, fructose/sucrose doesn&#39;t affect insulin as much does it?

You keep trying to sound like you&#39;ve done all this research that has led you to scientifically gorge yourself on pizza, nachos, and baby ruth bars... but are you sure you aren&#39;t just eating a too-restrictive diet that makes you want to chew off your own arm, and then rebelling in a way?

Maybe you should try the Primal way.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Hmm, well I&#39;m not as saintly as some of the people here (I eat dairy) but I avoid grains like the plague. I don&#39;t touch fast food and avoid things like pizza, pasta and bread, not to mention cheap "candy" (or what us Brits call "sweets") - I no longer have any desire for them.

Cheating for me is mixes of dried fruit and nuts, *very* expensive gourmet chocolates (the £20 a box sort) and in summer, I will eat ice cream (again, luxury brands made with real cream). I might occassionally have a baked potato but this is rare.

allie Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I don&#39;t really plan a cheat day... it reminds me of diet mentality. If I feel like some dark chocolate, I&#39;ll have chocolate. When I feel like something sweet (rarely), I have a piece of fruit. I don&#39;t actively plan to be really really good, then really really bad.

If I were to overindulge on purpose, I&#39;d still prefer something primal - maybe avocados, mangoes or a whole roast chicken. I&#39;ll be feeling pretty full and heavy, maybe a little tired, but I won&#39;t be feeling -ill- like I would if I were to binge on pizza, lollies and french fries.

Is there a need to go for the unhealthy (well, more like poisonous) stuff specifically? Like Asturian said, if creating an insulin spike with high carbs + fat is the intention; you can do it with natural food. Make a heaping serving of sweet potato mash with coconut milk, or tuck into a large and colourful fruit salad with yogurt. You&#39;re still getting an insulin spike and a whole lot of unneeded calories, but you&#39;re also consuming beneficial nutritients, too. With strategic gorging on junk maybe you&#39;ll lose fat in the grand scheme of things, but by selecting unhealthy choices it&#39;s hurting your body, too.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It&#39;s an interesting theory, and I think it would work when applied strategically in a fat loss plan... but I disagree with the food choices.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast