Thread: Grok wannabe needs advice! page

suebird is offline Junior Member

Question Grok wannabe needs advice!

Primal Fuel
    Hello to all!
    Let me introduce myself...
    I am a 23 year old wildland firefighter and have been attempting to go grok for several months now. I work odd hours and sometimes grueling days that completely shut down my motivation for making this primal change. Carb flu (and intense sugar cravings) do not diminish within a couple weeks (for me at least), and I feel so weak and tired. I understand this is due to the change in diet as well as high levels of activity, but when will it end! My resolve has dwindled every time! I know this is a much healthier lifestyle than the one I have been living, but I need support. Better yet, I need inspiration! How do I successfully get through this first month? Without cheating! And even if I do, will I be fighting these cravings for the next month? I have been a reader on this site for some time now and it's time to take the plunge and get advice from the pros. This is a lifestyle change I have wanted to make for some time now. If any of you have any words of advice or tips I would love to hear them. Please help!

Bird

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Good to hear from you!

I also have a very active outdoor job, and it does make things a little different. I wish there was a trick to getting past the carb flu, but I don't honestly know of any. You just have to woman-up and do it. I promise, if you stick with it and really keep it clean, the crappy feelings will pass. Just give it a couple of weeks with 100% effort.

I swear, I spent the first couple of weeks fantasizing about 7/11's chocolate frosted donuts. I mean, SERIOUSLY fantasizing about their taste and texture and taking that first bite and... it was just awful. But now it's not like that. I really don't care. I like other foods more now, and I make sure I have the healthy ones around me instead.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Carb flu shouldn't last that long, unless you are giving in and eating sugar and other refined carbs. My [non-primal] answer is to eat potatoes and other starchy veg, maybe some white rice.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Good to hear from you!

I also have a very active outdoor job, and it does make things a little different. I wish there was a trick to getting past the carb flu, but I don't honestly know of any. You just have to woman-up and do it. I promise, if you stick with it and really keep it clean, the crappy feelings will pass. Just give it a couple of weeks with 100% effort.

I swear, I spent the first couple of weeks fantasizing about 7/11's chocolate frosted donuts. I mean, SERIOUSLY fantasizing about their taste and texture and taking that first bite and... it was just awful. But now it's not like that. I really don't care. I like other foods more now, and I make sure I have the healthy ones around me instead.
    +1 to this...You have to keep it clean in order for it to work. Otherwise you will keep relapsing into the Carb Flu...

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If your job is anything like I imagine it to be (days of boredom, interspersed with days of working until you collapse) you are going to need more carbs, especially on days when you are working.

Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and rice are all good options. You can also probably handle more fruit than many here.

Don't try to go too low with your carbs, just make sure you have primal carbs, and plenty of fat.

suebird is offline Junior Member
    Hedonist--

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I was eating too much fruit. Is that possible? I think 3 weeks was my top go with carb flu and I just felt so crappy that I couldnt keep it up with work. I was super strict with my regiment except when it came to fruits, veggies, and proteins. No processed sugars or carbs. What are your thoughts? Maybe I just needed to incorporate more starchy veggies like you suggested...