Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite kettlebell book and brand? page

Annika is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I'd like to get a book on basic kettlebell training. I'm very new to kettlebells and have only used one once, but my gym (which has been pretty much closed for the past month for college vacation, grrrr) has kettlebells in a variety of sizes, and I'm itching to try them out. What books do you guys recommend? I'm thinking about "From Russia With Tough Love" or "Body Sculpting with Kettlebells for Women".

Also, what brand of kettlebells are best? I used a gray MuscleDriver one in the workshop I went to.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

stevew2023 is offline Junior Member

Enter the Kettlebell. You can get teh book and dvd as a set here http://www.dragondoor.com/

buffalo is offline Junior Member

My kettlebell instructor says that Dragon Door kettlebells are the "cadillac of kettlebells". They have a smoother handle to minimize calluses, and the handle size is the same regardless of the bell (lots of kettlebells will have small handles on the small bells, making it hard to do moves such as the bottoms-up press).

If you can afford it, getting trained by a kettlebell instructor is the way to go for learning the bells. A good instructor will be constantly correcting your form in the beginning, preventing you from learning bad habits and really help to drive perfect form into your muscle memory.

Dragon Door kettlebells are top notch! The Muscle Driver bells aren't bad either.

Buy the book and the DVD of "Enter the Kettlebell." Both are great references for newbies.

Also, ditto to watch buffalo said. Try and get in with an instructor, it will help you a ton!

Kaizen Guest

Just about everyone who promotes some sort of Kettlebell training will reference dragondoor.com. I'm looking at "The Art of Strength" for kettlebells, they look like they're pretty top knotch, but they sell the "beast" which is a hollow kettlebell that can be filled with "shot" or sand and be filled up to 150lbs. Not bad, just hope the handle is big enough. I have a 25lb one, and it's nice, but not big enough for 2 hands to grasp.

stevea_3 Guest

I have Ader kettlebells which I like. I found a set to be reasonably priced as well. They start at 9 lbs.

elbohead Guest

I bought a cheap 30 lb KB at a big box sporting goods store for around $50. I dropped it (oops!) and it broke into three pieces. At that point I decided to go with Dragon Door. The prices are not bad considering the quality, but the shipping was a killer! Anyhow, I'm a firm beliver in "ya get what ya pay for".

Kaizen Guest

Wow, a kettlebell that broke? I'm always doing swings and such with mine and I've dropped it a few times so I need some damn good ones. KB's are expensive, but indeed they're worth the price, as long as you use them.

I had a Power Systems 15lbs kettlebell break as well. I dropped it and the handle cracked in half.

Longquan is offline Member

Get competition style bells (every weight is exactly the same size), everybody who tried them doesn't want to touch other bells anymore. Also, Steve Cotter has a very nice Book/DVD Combo, much better than that Dragondoor stuff. If one wants to get good at kettlebells, Pavel's stuff is IMO not the way to go...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast