Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food for thought... page

Bronx is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi,

Just wondering if the following foods are Primal or not and if they are acceptable.

Sausage (homemade Italian)

Capicola (homemade Italian, dried meat)

Veal

Did anyone ever eat breaded veal cutlets or chicken cutlets?

If so, on Primal how do you still eat those, or prepare the bread crumbs when there is no bread or you're suppose to eat no bread?

Thanks everyone

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I eat sausage and capicola on occasion. It's been a long time since I've had veal. I wouldn't eat them breaded. I've had veal without a bread coating, and it's 100x better that way.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

The sausage and capicola most likely have a good amount of nitrates/nitrites/sodium. Correct? If so, they will not *technically* be primal, but still, they aren't horrible as long as you don't have any sensitivities to the preservatives. I know I eat cured bacon/lunch meat (especially capicola...YUM!!!) occasionally, and it never throws me off.

As far as breaded items go, you could either use coconut flour, almond meal, or crushed up pork rinds. A simple google search for low-carb breading will get you far!

okay thanks.

The sausage we make is an extremely good cut of meat with no added perservatives aside from some pepper and not a lot of salt as we don't enjoy salt.

Tonight though, I did have some sausage with red peppers.

Lunch meat - can't do it. Feel disgusting after store bought meats.

Breaded Meats - Thanks for the tips I will look for those next time I'm out. And I do agree, veal sometimes does taste better not breaded.

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

I've begun to question how dangerous nitrites/nitrates are. Some cured bacon is cured using celery juice which is high in nitrates/nitrates. How can that be that bad for you? I haven't done any research on it but it really seems suspect to me. I would say eat as much sausage and capicola and veal you want! Just don't bread anything. Ever.

ANyone do anything special with Pineapple?

Cook?

Fry?

Any recipes would be awesome.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Ok, I've been told (by various people here on mda) and read that nitrates/nitrites are basically smoke. Definitely primal, once they discovered fire.

Veal, if you really have to have it breaded (same with chicken fish or onion rings etc.) use almond meal, mixed with some coconut flour and spices. Super yummy! Works better baked then fried for some reason.

I love to turn pineapple into a yummy tropical salad dressing. Blend with coconut cream, lemon juice, pepper, cayenne and then mix in some flaked coconut.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

I don't eat veal for humanitarian reasons. Just sayin'.

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

I don&#39;t eat veal for humanitarian reasons. Just sayin&#39;.</blockquote>

Veal is a byproduct of the dairy industry. If you care about baby cows, you would be better off foregoing dairy.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

It&#39;s the cooped up part I have an issue with. I don&#39;t have much of an issue with free-range veal besides the fact that I don&#39;t really care for it anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast