Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic Dried Cane Syrup & Unrefined Cane Sugar page

marksoup is offline Junior Member

Organic Dried Cane Syrup & Unrefined Cane Sugar

Shop Now
    Hello All,

I hope it does not come across as a dump primal questions, but I have to ask anyway.

I was wanting to know if I am partaking in the right items as I continue my primal journey. When I started I weighed in at 216 lbs. and am now holding at 185ish lbs. Also, seeing some good results with my cholesterol and blood pressure.

I have recently noticed in some of the products I have been ingesting having "Organic Dried Cane Syrup", "Organic Unrefined Cane Sugar", or "Evaporated Cane Sugar". Basically, are these OK??? I have a feeling NO, since they contain "Sugar"....

The specific products I have found these ingredients in are:

* SO Delicious Original Coconut Milk Cremer (Organic Dried Cane Syrup)
    *MaraNatha All Natural Almond Butter (Organic Unrefined Cane Sugar)

Warmest Primal Regards,
    Mark

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Guess what "Organic evaporated cane juice" is?

If you guessed "brown sugar", you win a prize!

All of the things you just listed would be listed simply as "brown sugar" in a sane world, but marketing gets very creative with labeling to confuse consumers into thinking things are healthy.

But if they're toward the tail end of the ingredients list, it's not a big deal. Check the actual amount listed on the label; often it's only a gram or so and that really doesn't matter unless you are eating a couple dozen servings of said food. Sugar is one of those things that's totally harmless in really small doses; you just don't want much of it.

That "Coconut Creamer" doesn't look good though--anything that is supposedly made of coconut but has no fat calories is very suspicious and is probably highly processed. Coconut milk is full of fat normally. The almond butter is 17/7/2 fat/protein/sugar, so that looks pretty good. But it's made of nuts, so just don't go crazy on it if you're trying to lose weight. Nuts stall weight loss in a LOT of people. It's probably one of the most common things people remove from their diet and then start losing weight again. So use it as a treat, not a staple.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You are right. Keep added sugar of all kinds out of the food you use on a daily basis but don't sweat small amounts here and there in things like cured meats.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

marksoup is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input!

For a serving size of 1 tbsp the Coconut Creamer has:

* Calories 10
    * Calories from Fat 0
    * Total Fat is 0g across
    * Cholesterol 0mg
    * Sodium 0mg
    * Total Carbs 1 g <-- all from sugar
    * Protien 0g

Not that I am looking at this, I am asking, why am I eating / drinking this if it has no FAT?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, just switch to real coconut milk. The Aroy-D is perfect. But I agree, if a trace sneaks into some of your items, just moderate it. Heck, dark chocolate is plenty sweet! I make it a once a week, or two-day-in-a-row treat. And realize that, if it's just a gram, it's not to be too worried about. I start worrying about sugar in prepared foods at around 6 grams per serving unless it's an actual mango or something.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Wow -- your coconut creamer has No Fat and 4 cal of carb -- sugar -- of the total of 10 carbs

So I'm wondering -- just what are the other 6 calories made of???? Not protein, not fat and not..., Carb??? Don't you just love food labels?
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

cschock01 is offline Junior Member
    Here's a question. All Dark Chocolate has sugar added, am I missing something?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cschock01 View Post
    Here's a question. All Dark Chocolate has sugar added, am I missing something?
    Not 100% baker's chocolate. That is the good stuff.

JHen is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Not 100% baker's chocolate. That is the good stuff.
    You mean dirt lol. 100% chocolate is terrible to me. I can do like 70 or even 87%, but 100% id rather eat dirt i think.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkd2001 View Post
    Wow -- your coconut creamer has No Fat and 4 cal of carb -- sugar -- of the total of 10 carbs

So I'm wondering -- just what are the other 6 calories made of???? Not protein, not fat and not..., Carb??? Don't you just love food labels?
    I'm guessing it's the rounding rules. They get to round down if something is half a gram or less. 0.5g of fat and 1.5g of sugar would get you to 10 calories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast