Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some guidance page 3

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Nick, no. Lol. Too funny.

All: Thanks for your support. It really means much having so much experience and wisdom here.

Ok, here is another. I am re reading the PB this week. I am doing this because I am curious to find where Mark speaks about eating so much fat. I know he says 50%, but if I crunched my calories eating what I eat now (mostly a P90X like diet) I get about 2400 calories a day. As I eat more like Primal, I have to eat way less to stay under my 2400 per the book. Eating pure butter to get more fat is weird to me. I am not against it at all. For the 'Korg' meal plan, I don't see it there, the omelette he suggests there is no mention of how it was cooked meaning those calories from using butter are not accounted for. Confused there, as pre PB I was cooking egg whites in PAM (I know bad idea) and now I am eating duck eggs in home rendered lard. My breakfasts went from 300 cals to 1100 with 2 duck eggs, 1 tbsp lard, 3 slices of uncured bacon, and home made yogurt with 1/2c blueberries. One more meal and I can't eat the rest of the day. Is this wrong?

Lastly, there was a link that was posted on Mark's FB page. It was a WebMD (CW site), about a link to Pancreatic Cancer and High Fat eating. Was that crap or is eating like this so new that we don't know what will happen to us? Kinda freaked me out. Back to salads with sardines and fruit. Still wont eat grain. Never.

Now I am really confused. Today I read a recipe on the MDA home page where it suggested to "trim excess fat" from a pork loin.

I thought fat was good?

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I saw the pancreatic cancer link to high fat eating and it concerned me as well. Not sure what to make of it.

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

There is more than one reason to trim fat when preparing a dish. It depends on how you want the dish to turn out, not just whether you believe animal fat is good for you. Leave the extra fat on if you'd like. Our trained chef Worker Bee in this instance found that the excess fat didn't jive with how she wanted the final product to turn out so she trimmed it a bit. I see how this could send the wrong signals, but it really wasn't a decision made out of fear of fat, that's for sure.

Sweet. I kind of thought so. Being an enthusiast cook myself, I figured that the excess fat would just be excess. I assume that the meat itself would have sufficient fats to begin with.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

The nice thing, if you opt to trim the fat for a dish, is that you can always use it later for other dishes that are naturally leaner and require you to add fat. (Or fry it up for a snack while you're waiting for dinner to cook.)

I read much that local organic red meats are great protein sources. Same goes for pork. Fat is good. So now I do not have to worry about buying only lean meats anymore because as long as its from my recent cowpool of a organic raised grass fed cow, all parts are edible.

So then why is this on the Vice page?

"4 - Steak and Bacon: oh boy, saturated fat. I don’t recommend eating traditionally-raised and chemically-loaded red meat, but grass-fed, uncured cuts are loaded with valuable fat, pure protein, and vital nutrients. Just make smart choices when you go for the more decadent meats. (No factory farm hunks and sodium-laced strips.)"

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sensible-vices/

So my question is, what are "smart choices" of meats when I read people frying apples in tallow?

Sorry to keep shaking the trees here.

Are you reading entire posts, or just looking to shake trees? That post is a little tongue in cheek, the paragraph before the one your quote reads:

"Many “vices” aren’t vices at all. Not only are many indulgences – when moderate and planned – good for you, they’re actually a sensible part of your personal health and prevention plan, as they’re more likely to give you a sense of value from your efforts. So stop flagellating the elliptical. Put away the carrots and raisins. Here are some very smart so-called vices:..."

It's on the "vice" page because CW would deem steak and bacon a vice, we, as PBers, do not. Other things mentioned on that page as a vice are also NOT vices when following the PB.

Any smart choice of meat is one that isn't factory farmed or laced with sodium and other crazy chemicals that you cannot pronounce.

Primal JAP: Thanks for pointing that out. Again, I am asking lots of questions since that what a "forum" is all about. Still trying to embrace the Grok.

DM - I didn't mean to come across harsh. I suppose it is because we spend our days either trying to explain the PB to people or avoiding the topic altogether. When I read to forum, it's kind of an escape to be with like minded people. It's hard to embrace this lifestyle, but when you do, it's like riding a bike or finally learning to drive stick. You wake up one day and think "how is this NOT common sense?"

Even my mother who is quazi-adopting this lifestlye (just to lose weight, I don't see it carrying over long term), offered me a salad at her house last weekend and then handed me sweet and sour dressing. "Mom, this has 14 grams of sugar per serving!", Her response "but it doesn't have any fat..."

*sigh*

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast