Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCAAs vs. Whey protein, Advice? page

elainevdw is offline Senior Member

BCAAs vs. Whey protein, Advice?

Shop Now
    So the Leangains recommendation of consuming BCAAs before, during and after fasted workouts is pretty compelling. Right now I'm having a whey protein shake after my fasted morning workouts (30g whey protein, maybe 100g half-and-half and water). If I switch to BCAAs/Glutamine, like Xtreme, does that mean I should ditch the protein shake? Like, mix up a big bottle of BCAAs/Glutamine mix, and drink half of it before and half of it after I work out?

I'm aiming for some mix of increased fat loss, reduced muscle loss, and reduced post-exercise soreness.

Plus I'm kinda lousy at keeping my protein intake high enough, so I was using the whey powder to keep my protein-to-fat ratio higher on the protein side.

Thanks~
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    I personally do 10g BCAA's pre WO and save the protein for meals. I probably fall short of what Martin recommends protein wise but I usually make up for it at some point in the week. I would ditch the shakes if your going for weight loss and do primal refeeds (sweet, reg potato, yams etc, I like rice too) post workout then do regular primal the rest of the time. Maybe do a bigger refeed day every other friday. Seems to be working for me.

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member
    I have just half a scoop of whey isolate before my workout sometimes. I looked into the whole BCAA and from what I read, to much free form BCAAs can cause a decent insulin spike, which could possibly suppress growth hormone?

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I would follow the BCAAs before and during and then take your whey after as recommended. The BCAAs for a fasted workout help preserve muscle mass and the whey aids in recovery.

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    get bulk powder form and mix it all together.
    Sometimes I will mix a 50g protein drink with 10g BCAA and 10g Glutamine...then drink half PreWO and half PostWO.
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Thanks for the advice. The BCAA mix I picked up over the weekend has a bunch of caffeine in it, so for morning workouts I'm mixing what looks like the equivalent of 10g BCAAs in 20oz of water and drinking half of it before the workout and the rest during/after. Then come home, shower, etc., and have a protein-ey breakfast.

I know Leangains recommends 10g before and 10g after, but on some body building forums I saw that some women do 5g before and 5g after. No need to overdo it I guess, especially considering how potent tasting this mix is (ON brand, it's too sweet).

For evening workouts I might just drink water and then immediately recover with whey protein until I finish the caff BCAA and get a chance to order BCAAs w/o the caffeine.

Bernernewf is offline Member
    My protein has BCAA I'm it. It's Dymatize elite gourmet. Is thst enough? I really dont want to be using all sorts of supplements. I generally do a shake pre wo, cause I go in morning, then another when I get home with a banana. Cindy

I don't think BCAAs are necessary, and from what I understand whey protein is already a good source of BCAAs. I just wanted to try it and see if it helped with DOMS (muscle soreness) and/or would help with losing fat while preserving muscle mass.

rafapeter is offline Junior Member
    I am in love with formulx whey protein.. Is 100% grass fed, it is paleo friendly and the taste is amazing!!! It does have the bcca in it and it is worth to try.. The quality of this product is phenomenal and you will love when you get a chance to get to know the company.. I also got 10%off using a code: fitnessbynutrition.. You can find on their website formulx.com and the delivery is fast!!!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If whey helps, BCAA may. If way doesn't help, BCAA won't make a difference either. Hence, try cheap whey first. Didn't try BCAA, but whey intake as per Leangain protocol did absolutely no difference for me.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast