Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need help getting 6 pack page 3

intreker05 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mindo View Post
    Seems like everyone wants to stay away from saying it cause it's not a "primal" exercise but doing weight resistant ab exercises will help.
    You ever seen little kids with six packs, especially little boys. It's not because they do ab exercises. It's because they have low body fat. Ab exercises are great. They improve your core strength which has a big effect on your posture and the like, so start cranking out some planks. But in reality, the best thing for your six pack to show is diet. Conventional Wisdom gets this one right. Abs are made in the kitchen.
    "Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something." ~ H.D. Thoreau

mindo is offline Member
    I can't agree more that diet is number one when it comes to abs being visible. I just thought I'd mention doing ab exercises cause no one else did and weight resistant ab exercises can really make your ab muscles pop out.

usernamewhy is offline Junior Member
    without low body fat, even trained abs wont be visible (depending on your bellyfat)

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by intreker05 View Post
    You ever seen little kids with six packs, especially little boys. It's not because they do ab exercises. It's because they have low body fat. Ab exercises are great. They improve your core strength which has a big effect on your posture and the like, so start cranking out some planks. But in reality, the best thing for your six pack to show is diet. Conventional Wisdom gets this one right. Abs are made in the kitchen.
    I think conventional wisdom tells us to do hundreds of sit-ups and buy ridiculous crunch machines . It's rouges like Martin Berkhan and Mark Sisson that tell you not to do direct ab work. Martin is livid about direct ab work. Abs are definitely 90% diet. At least.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Surely the core muscles are the same as every other, they are there and without the fat they will be visible, but working them makes them bigger = more visible?

Stephen73ta is offline Junior Member
    If you are eating primal then abs shouldn't be an issue. Stick to the basics and eat right. I spent over 5 years trying to get a 6 pack through means of cardio and random diets. It didn't matte what I tried I still had a small amount of fat in my abdomen. Tried the primal lifestyle and 3 weeks later I was rocking a 6 pack. It was unbelievable how fast that last 5 lbs came off me. Eat right and you'll look good!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    Surely the core muscles are the same as every other, they are there and without the fat they will be visible, but working them makes them bigger = more visible?
    Yes, but the problem is how people work their core muscles. People do situps, crunches, leg lifts and all that goofy crap. You wouldn't make your chest muscles bigger by benching 20 pounds 50 times would you? You'd do it by benching 250 lbs 4 or 5 times, right? So why on Earth would anyone do 100 crunches?

Your ab muscles are like any other muscle. The problem is, it's tough to find an ab workout that you can effectively do heavy weight 3 sets of 5 with to make them stronger. That's why people like Martin Berkhan and Mark Sisson say not to do direct ab work - there aren't many direct ab exercises you can do to make them bigger. You get more ab work by using them as stabilizer muscles squatting, dead lifting and doing chin-ups than doing crunches with a 45 pound plate, and doing weighted crunches is also murder on your back.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

mindo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    Agreed. Most of the advice here is pretty bias towards everything primal. I'm sure it's possible to get abs without doing ab exercises but doing them will just make them that much more visible. No one says you have to do 50 or 100 crunches. You can add a little weight for resistance without breaking your back. I think the guy who started this thread was looking for help with getting visible abs and not strictly just primal answers.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    No doubt that you need to shed the fat in that area before they'll be visible, but it's more than diet alone in my opinion.

intreker05 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I think conventional wisdom tells us to do hundreds of sit-ups and buy ridiculous crunch machines . It's rouges like Martin Berkhan and Mark Sisson that tell you not to do direct ab work. Martin is livid about direct ab work. Abs are definitely 90% diet. At least.
    Eh, I think Broscience is mostly focused on crunches and sit-ups. Most CW I've seen, at least in the past 5-6 years, is much more food focused. of course, it's still in the 20-40-40 range when it comes to fat-protein-carbs with what it calls a "healthy" diet. But hey, you can't win 'em all...yet.
    "Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something." ~ H.D. Thoreau

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast