Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help getting 6 pack page 2

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Try your hand at intermittent fasting or the carb cycling as mentioned above (or both). For the muscles themselves keep progressing in squats and deadlifts, those things will bulk up your abs better than any crunch/situp.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

citiusaltiusfortius is offline Junior Member
    Hey bud, the best thing that helped me was when I was training to run a 5k as fast as I could. I follow Hal Higdon's plan. Sprinting 400mx8 and doing tempo runs at about 7:00 pace for 3 miles really shedded the belly and keep in mind this was in the morning after not eating for 10-12 hours. good luck bro

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack450 View Post
    Hello everyone just need a bit of help!!

Ive been doing the Paleo diet for some time now my only problem i have is with choclate which i get cravings for once in a while. Anyways So i took a physical fitness test today and everything is great! Heart rate is good and my Body Fat % was to my surprise just 11 %. Although i am defined in the chest area i still have some fat around the stomach. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips?

Thank you
    Pictures please
    I'm very surprised you can't see your six pack at 11% bf.., but I guess everyone stores their fat a little differently.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    This is what I ate over 24 hours yesterday to help further define my stomach muscles.

Just your normal meals of blueberry crumb cake, cornbread, pumpkin banana bread, coffee frozen yogurt and banana cream pie.

Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Everything in this thread is good advice, especially from ChocoTaco. I would put a little extra emphasis on the intermittent fasting, because if you have stubborn fat in the belly area, that implies a touch of insulin resistance. Nothing busts insulin resistance like IF.

Also, may I ask what test you used for body fat %? Different tests give wildly different results. Bioimpedance puts me at 10%, but a more accurate x-ray scan put me at 18.0%.

Also, pics please

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Everything in this thread is good advice, especially from ChocoTaco. I would put a little extra emphasis on the intermittent fasting, because if you have stubborn fat in the belly area, that implies a touch of insulin resistance. Nothing busts insulin resistance like IF.

Also, may I ask what test you used for body fat %? Different tests give wildly different results. Bioimpedance puts me at 10%, but a more accurate x-ray scan put me at 18.0%.

Also, pics please
    Pfft, my bioimpedence scale puts me between 7-10% body fat depending on what I ate that day. I'm really about 11%, so they're not very accurate. They're more of a precision tool to monitor your own progress using only yourself as a variable.

This is me after 6 weeks eating what I posted above, and mind you, I drank 5 out of 6 weekends, the first 3 weeks was a learning curve and had 2 absolute food-fests at Fogo de Chao which about quadrupled my recommended fat intake.

I'm taking 2 weeks off and after another 6 week cycle I should be ripped. It's actually really easy to do once you learn about your body fully. You need to experiment, because once you find find out what your maintenance calories are, how many carbs you can handle in a sitting, what your maximum single rep is for the big exercises in the gym and get acclimated to high repetition workouts, it's a breeze.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Choco, please open a restaurant. Preferably a nation-wide chain

And this is me after sticking eating as around 50 to 100g of carbs, approx 1800 to 2300 calories/day approx 50% fat.

Different strokes for different folks
    What works for one may not work for another, and some may never be able to get the magazine cover model six pack. I think it also depends on where you started, whether you've ever had a six pack before or not, etc. What you're idea of a what "six pack" looks like, or should look like on you also plays a part. If you've got an idealised image in your head you may never attain that no matter what you do, like the bulked up body builder in the gym who still thinks he's small because he doesn't match up to Dorian Yates, or because he always wants to look how he does when he's pumped after a workout..

I know that my abs are a lot flatter now than when I was training hard out several times a week a couple of years ago (doing xfit and at least 30 roman chair sit-ups several times a week, plus whatever was in the WOD). Back then my abs were much more pronounced though was probably a little higher.

I've recently started back on the weights so have upped my calories, carbs and especially protein on training days, as I wasn't eating enough to make any gains in muscle mass. But I'm not following a scheduled carb refeed or dropping the amount of fat etc. Will see how it goes for a month or two.
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-31-2011 at 05:39 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

mindo is offline Member
    Seems like everyone wants to stay away from saying it cause it's not a "primal" exercise but doing weight resistant ab exercises will help.

Quote Originally Posted by mindo View Post
    Seems like everyone wants to stay away from saying it cause it's not a "primal" exercise but doing weight resistant ab exercises will help.
    Sure they can help build up your abs, but you'll still only see them if you get your bf % low enough for em to show (which is a different % for each of us), but also your doing the heavy compound lifts and sprints you may well find that you don't need to do additional ab work as they'll be getting enough of a workout.

As I said above, I used to throw in a few sets of roman chair situps as part of my warmup or cool down, which I plan on starting again as. Also used to do some dragon flags and l-sits on gymnastic skills days. It all adds up I guess.

I'm planning on just getting my lht and sprint workouts dialled in for a coupla months and see what affect that had before I start adding supplemental targeted ab exercises.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast