Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check your spices page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Check your spices

Primal Fuel
    I made a batch of Primal Texas Chili the other night. Had a serving on Wednesday, and a half hour later I had a lump in my throat and I felt constricted and tight. Drank about a zillion gallons of water. Chalked it up to one of those weird things that happens sometimes.

I had a leftover portion today for lunch. And boom, a half-hour later, the same thing happened, now with the added joys of tingly lips and gums. I drank a load of water, and I wondered what the heck I could be allergic to.

It looks like it's the SILICON DIOXIDE that's in the chili powder and paprika, "added to make free flowing." (Thanks, McCormick.)

This was the first time I've ever used chili powder in a recipe, and this one called for three tablespoons. I've used paprika before, but only lightly, to add color; this recipe called for only one teaspoon.

Now, it's possible that my reaction is due to something else. I'm going to swap out the McCormick chili and paprika for organic versions, make a new batch, and see if I have another reaction. But that doesn't change the fact that it never occurred to me to check the ingredients on my spices.

So...public service announcement: Check your spices.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I use powdered chili (ancho, from Penzys online) and if the recipe calls for chilli powder I add the ingredients seperately (chilli powder is like powdered chili with oregano and other things I can't remember right now).
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

Paleobird Guest
    I found that my garlic salt (Lawrey's brand) had sugar in it! Yes, check the spice cabinet over. Particularly the spice blends.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Penzey's doesn't use preservatives or anti-clumping agents - that's why they sell half-bottles. I'm lucky to have a store near me but you can order on their site or get a catalog.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for mentioning Penzey's - I will definitely check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I found that my garlic salt (Lawrey's brand) had sugar in it! Yes, check the spice cabinet over. Particularly the spice blends.
    YES. Discovered that today, too, when I was making my riced cauliflower. I was going to add some garlic salt...but no! There in the ingredients was sugar. Humph. (So I sprinkled on some regular salt and some organic garlic powder. Nom!)

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Penzeys has the BEST cinnamon in the world, oh the smell, heavenly.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    WTF, most spices are preservatives. You don't need to freaking preserve preservatives!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    I learnt this lesson the hard way too. I'm amazed at how much stuff can be in something that's meant to have one ingredient!
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

squigglywiggly is offline Senior Member
    Yup the other day I was buying cumin and found quite a few brands with wheat in them! Nasty!

jfreaksho is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another recommendation for Penzey's. My wife just ordered a bunch of curry spices from them, so we don't have to buy the pastes or the pre-made jars of curry sauce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast