Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu Season, Again page

Goldstar is offline Senior Member

Flu Season, Again

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just got off the phone with my naturopaths office and asked about whether they give flu shots. The receptionist was adamant about the dr.s views NOT to get one but couldn't explain why, so I came to the boards to read old threads and get your opinions (I know many of the members here work in medical settings.) Then I read this:

When I was younger, my doctors always told me not to get the flu vaccine, it was only for older people, and kids or people with a condition (such as asthma) where the flu becomes that much more dangerous. I was told this all growing up and when my kids were younger. It was only recently i started seeing the "flu shot ever year recommendations" everywhere that seem to say that everybody should get it.

This is exactly what I've always been told and I've always gotten the shot because I have asthma. But I have a question I can't shake, so here it is...

If the flu vaccine is beneficial for only certain groups of people, I am assuming it is because they want these folks to *avoid* the flu altogether or it could cause serious complications. So, if it CAN prevent the flu for them, then why wouldn't everyone want to do it if they can avoid flu, too? I'm just not seeing the sense of only some people getting it. Either it works or it doesn't and if it does, why doesn't everyone who wants to avoid sickness get it? What's so special about giving it to immune compromised folks, does it only work for them and not the rest of us?

Like I said, I have asthma. I'd like to get the shot but only if it really works, otherwise what's the point?
    Last edited by Goldstar; 10-28-2011 at 11:43 AM.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Effectiveness in Flu Shots Lacking

Here's some info to start with. Also, below is a link to the package insert from the flu vaccine. I was especially put off by the statements that it has not been evaluated for carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, has not been evaluated for effectiveness (!) and has not been evaluated for safety in pregnant women, nursing mothers or children. Again, this is from the manufacturer's package insert, not some kook's website or fringe blog.

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_flulaval.pdf

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I never get the flu shot.

Until I got my Vitamin D level up above 80 ng/ml, I had asthma all my life. Now it's gone!

D is cheap & testing is easy.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I have asthma and got the flu shot. Yes, I up my D but with my asthma I find I am so susceptible that I would rather not risk one of the strands it covers. CW? Maybe but until you have been where I have you can not understand.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    This is solely my experience, but the one year I had a flu shot, several months later I got the worst case of the flu I'd ever had. I haven't bothered since. The vaccines typically prevent only certain strains of the flu, so it's a crap shoot. I'd also rather not have a virus injected into my arm, for me the risks outweigh the benefits. That doesn't mean it's what's right for you, however.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    I have asthma and got the flu shot. Yes, I up my D but with my asthma I find I am so susceptible that I would rather not risk one of the strands it covers. CW? Maybe but until you have been where I have you can not understand.
    I agree. I have a seizure disorder and the fever of a flu could easily bring one on. Even if the protection is less than perfect, it's better than nothing. I also take care of my 86 year old Dad. If I got a flu and brought it home to him and he ended up with pneumonia, I would never forgive myself.

It's all well and good to think that natural immunity can be boosted through vitamins and a good diet. Terrific. But being Primal doesn't make our immune systems infallible. Any extra help we can get is a good thing.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I agree. I have a seizure disorder and the fever of a flu could easily bring one on. Even if the protection is less than perfect, it's better than nothing. I also take care of my 86 year old Dad. If I got a flu and brought it home to him and he ended up with pneumonia, I would never forgive myself.

It's all well and good to think that natural immunity can be boosted through vitamins and a good diet. Terrific. But being Primal doesn't make our immune systems infallible. Any extra help we can get is a good thing.
    Not attacking, just questioning: I understand wanting the "extra protection." However, if it's a less than 60% chance that the vax will actually help, and given the presence of mercury, thimerosal and aluminum (carcinogens), I'm curious about the tradeoff. As I mentioned above, the package insert itself states that the vax has not been evaluated for effectiveness nor for its potential as a carcinogen. This is something a person puts into their body on a yearly basis; thus the mercury, etc., will build up, as they are not eliminated from the body (as I understand it).

Again, I am not attacking--just as I expect the right to refuse the vax, certainly others have the right to have the vax. I guess I'm just surprised to find that stance here and would like to understand better. Thanks for your time, if anyone cares to explain further.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I've been debating a flu shot this year. I've never had one and I can't remember the last time I had the flu or even a bad cold (knock wood). I'm in my 2d trimester and they recommend it for pregnant women, BUT I work from home and am good about washing my hands and not putting my fingers in my mouth. Decisions, decisions...
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    I heard from a reliable source that the flu shot was only effective for 1.5% out of the people tested. :P I havent gotten a flu shot in years. I hate shots :C

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    The only person who gets a flu shot in our house is the one who would be at high risk of death if they caught it. Benefits > risks.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast