Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katie's Leptin Reset Journal page

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member

Katie's Leptin Reset Journal

I apologize for doing a second posting of my thread, but I made a typo in the title. Being a little bit OCD, I can't leave it like that. So here's a new thread with a CORRECTLY spelled title. :-)

Today was my first day of doing Dr. Kruse's Leptin Reset prescription. My husband is also doing this with me. He has much more weight to lose than I do. We've been following PB for six months now.

Here are some stats:

Katie
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: app. 173 lbs
    Size: 10-12, M-L shirts

Daniel
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: app. 248 lbs
    Size: 38, XL shirts

We don't keep a scale around, so we don't know our exact weight. I prefer not to obsess over it. Since beginning PB, I've lost body fat even though my weight hasn't fluctuated. I'll go get a tape measure tomorrow so I can provide our measurements. I plan on doing my kettlebell training on most evenings. It's hard to get my husband to exercise. We're working on it though.

I intended to wake up at 6:30am to make breakfast and eat by 6:45am. There was an earthquake around 5:30am, which woke me up and I didn't want to get up when 6:30am came around. I ended up making breakfast close to 8:00am. I'll do better tomorrow. My husband has work at 9:00am, so I will definitely be more inspired to wake up.

We only had two meals today: breakfast and dinner.

Breakfast:

Huge beef patty, about 5 oz
    3 eggs sunny side up
    1 tablespoons butter

Total: 764 cals, 62.7g fat, 1.3g carbs, 47.8g protein

Dinner:

Chicken, two leg quarters
    Kale, about two cups
    1 tablespoons butter
    1/2 hass avocado

Total: 1,016 cals, 68.8g fat, 20.6 carbs, 80.5g protein

Today's total: 1,678 cals, 120.1g fat, 21.9g carbs, 128.2g protein
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Day Two

Again, I didn't get up as soon as I had hoped, but I had breakfast ready by 8:00am. It's hard to get up when it's not light out.

Breakfast

Two small beef patties
    Three eggs
    Butter

672 cals, 49.4g fat, 1.3g carbs, 53.5 protein

Lunch

Pathetic salad from my school cafeteria -
    Lettuce
    Pork
    Salsa
    Hard boiled egg
    Red onion

397 cals, 24g fat, 9.2 carbs, 35.2 protein

Dinner

Sockeye salmon with a butter, sage, balsamic glaze
    Pureed cauliflower with MORE butter

893 cals, 53.7g fat, 10.8 carbs, 89.5 protein

Today's total:
    1962 cals, 127.1g gat, 21.3g carbs, 111.8g protein

I haven't worked out yet. The night is still young, so I may do some fun kettlebell things. :-)

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    It sounds as if you are on track. I've been doing leptin reset for a while now, and I'm not at all sure I'm there yet. I don't eat within 30 minutes of rising and Dr. Krause says that will prolong the reset. So be it. I now really look forward to a big breakfast and usually have a light meal around 2pm and dinner around 6-7. I'll be checking my reverse T-3 soon, and get a better idea of where I stand. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to my pastured pork chop and duck eggs tomorrow morning.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

I love pork chops and egg for breakfast. Holy moly! I've never tried duck eggs before! I'll have to find somewhere around me that sells them.

dkd2001, if you don't mind my asking - have you seen much progress since starting the reset? Mostly in terms of fat loss?

Day Three

Farmer's market day. Got some great veggies this morning, as well as some lard from pastured pigs from Prather Ranch. Again, I had trouble waking up at an earlier time. Got up at 7:30am this morning. I may have to gradually decrease the time I wake up everyday by about five minutes. Unless I have to be up, it's difficult to do. I like to awake to the sunlight.

Just breakfast and dinner today. Had a little bit of chocolate today. I just input the FitDay nutritional profile of chocolate, although I consumed Dagoba 87% chocolate which is more low-carb and low-sugar than what they had listed. I'll deal with the inaccuracy. :-)

Breakfast

3 eggs
    A ton of pork breakfast sausage

816 cals, 69.1g fat, 4.1g carbs, 42.7g protein

Dinner

Center-cut pork chop
    Lard
    Kale
    Butter
    Pureed cauliflower with sauteed garlic

665 cals, 47.9g fat, 18.3 carbs, 43.4g protein

Chocolate
    207 cals, 14.0g fat, 24.4g carbs, 1.6 protein

Total
    1689 cals, 131.1g fat, 46.8g carbs, 87.7g protein

I'll tell you what. Getting in 50g of protein in the morning is hard to do. My husband has a hard time stomaching that much meat in the morning.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katiethepiano View Post
    I love pork chops and egg for breakfast. Holy moly! I've never tried duck eggs before! I'll have to find somewhere around me that sells them.

dkd2001, if you don't mind my asking - have you seen much progress since starting the reset? Mostly in terms of fat loss?
    I did the reset in July, and within 6 weeks I had all the signs of LS. I couldn't fit in 50 grams of protein past the 5 first weeks though, so gradually went down. These days I still follow protocol, but eat nothing from 20-50 grams of protein for brekkie and it keeps me full for 7 hours.

I have been losing fat, not muscle. It's a very slow loss, ca 1 pd pr week. But as you can see from my sig, it's working. I also don't cheat with non-primal foods. Don't crave either. I have French cheese on pear once a week for lunch, and some 85% dark chocolate a couple of times weekly with lunch. I only started these treats recently. I'm sure I'd lose weight faster by cutting it out,but I actually don't eat enough calories in a day to feel energetic unless I throw in some treats/carbs occasionally. The reset made me feel full all the time! These days I have about 30-80 gr carbs daily.

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Jack Krause just did a very long and detailed blog on the science behind the leptin reset. Make sure you have plenty of time when you read it -- but it sets out the rationale behind eating immediately after waking, the large breakfast, etc. I always do better when I've got some facts tucked under my belt.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    I did the reset in July, and within 6 weeks I had all the signs of LS. I couldn't fit in 50 grams of protein past the 5 first weeks though, so gradually went down. These days I still follow protocol, but eat nothing from 20-50 grams of protein for brekkie and it keeps me full for 7 hours.

I have been losing fat, not muscle. It's a very slow loss, ca 1 pd pr week. But as you can see from my sig, it's working. I also don't cheat with non-primal foods. Don't crave either. I have French cheese on pear once a week for lunch, and some 85% dark chocolate a couple of times weekly with lunch. I only started these treats recently. I'm sure I'd lose weight faster by cutting it out,but I actually don't eat enough calories in a day to feel energetic unless I throw in some treats/carbs occasionally. The reset made me feel full all the time! These days I have about 30-80 gr carbs daily.
    That's great that you're losing a pound a week! That's slow and steady weight loss - the best way to lose. I lost five pounds when first becoming primal, but I haven't seen consistent weight loss. On the bright side, I've gained a ton of muscle and I've definitely lost fat, as I am much smaller, but my weight hasn't fluctuated much. I'm hoping this will accelerate things a little for me.

dkd2001 - Thank you for suggesting that! I will definitely read it. Like you, I like to have facts. :-)

Day Four

I was able to get up at 7:20am this morning. A lot more calories today than I'm used to eating. For dinner, I made the cheeseburger bacon roll that was put up in the recipe section. So delicious. Getting in the 50g of protein in the morning is pretty difficult to do. My husband can't handle all of the meat, so I'll have to starting giving him a protein shake and eggs in the morning.

Breakfast
    Eggs
    4 slices of bacon
    .5 chicken breast
    Avocado .5

564 cals, 41.4g fat, 7.4g carbs, 42.4g protein

Lunch
    Tuna
    Mayo
    Butter lettuce
    .5 avocado

501 cals, 29.5g fat, 26.0g carbs, 34.5g protein

Dinner
    Bacon – 4 slices
    ground beef - .25 lb
    tomato sauce – cup
    goat cheese – 2 tablespoon
    pepperoni – 5 slices
    .5 avocado

933 cals, 72.7g fat, 13.4g carbs, 55.1g protein

Total
    1998 cals, 147.5g fat, 41.3g carbs, 128.6g protein

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm with your husband. I do a 52 gm protein shake every morning with 1 egg and bacon.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast