Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NPR: The Paleo-Diet: Not The Way To A Healthy Future page

jalthouse2 is offline Junior Member

NPR: The Paleo-Diet: Not The Way To A Healthy Future

The Paleo-Diet: Not The Way To A Healthy Future
    The Paleo-Diet: Not The Way To A Healthy Future : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR

Though I tend to agree with much of what I read/listen to on NPR, I couldn't help but find some holes in this article. I was interested by the author's claim that our genes are much more adaptable than we may think. What does everyone else have to say?

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Considering the fact, that our culture has a few thousand years of grain-consumption and also considering what this stuff still does to our guts i will happily leave it to other humans to further "fix" the genes for grain-digestion

ChaiKe is offline Junior Member
    Quite a good article! Not dramatically flawed in the same way 99% of anti-Paleo articles are!

Maybe a problem with the last bit, eating grains was, indeed, not necessarily incompatible with Hunter-gatherer living, but have you tried eating grains off the stalk? You'd doubtless eat some to survive, but no one would ever choose grains over meat, fish or fruit!

"It's not paleo-fantasy that's going to help us negotiate a healthy future, the 7 billion of us together, on this environmentally-endangered planet."

Did somebody claim it would? Probably...

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    NPR is now on my Do Not Listen list.

I'm never going back to CW.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaiKe View Post
    "It's not paleo-fantasy that's going to help us negotiate a healthy future, the 7 billion of us together, on this environmentally-endangered planet."

Did somebody claim it would? Probably...
    That's such a dumb argument on their part. The current way of growing food (monocultures) is the most unsustainable way to do it. When you start looking into permaculture and food forests you realize the food we can eat in a sustainable way is pretty much all paleo. Grains sucked before, they suck now, they will keep on sucking later.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I listen to a lot of NPR, including quite a few of their podcasts. Seriously, the chicks that host "Stuff You Missed In History" sound exactly like the SNL sketch, and I love their show. But anyway...

I absolutely have to take anything on NPR with a grain of salt. They tend to be very one-sided and ignore information that doesn't fit their world view. It would not surprise me at all if that view included "Meat is murder." They've been very obviously anti-religion in the past (not the show I mentioned above, but in some of their other science and news podcasts) and I'm not exactly the sensitive type. It takes a hell of a lot to offend me, and they've crossed the line a few times.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    The official description from the author's latest book:
    The omnipresence of animal beings in our lives--whether real or fictional--is something so enormous that people take often it for granted, never wondering why animals remain so much a part of human life. It has continuously maintained a powerful spiritual, transcendent quality over the tens of thousands of years that Homo sapiens have walked the earth. Why?

King looks at this phenomenon, from the most obvious animal connections in daily life and culture and over the whole of human history, to show the various roles animals have played in all civilizations. She ultimately digs deeply into the importance of the human-animal bond as key to our evolution, as a significant spiritual aspect of understanding what truly makes us human, and looks ahead to explore how our further technological development may, or may not, affect these important ties.
    I personally refuse to be sick just so other people can over-breed.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Sulamar is offline Junior Member
    I don't want to jump on conspiracy theories for fear of being deemed a nut job but I must make the case for agriculture and grains.

I think we are told they are healthy for us because of how much of a necessity it is to keep the worlds population alive, at 7 billion people, there just isn't enough red meat to go around for everyone to eat 3x daily.

Cereal and bread have saved lives, they have stopped children from dying in impoverished countries. Does it provide optimal living? Hell no! Does it keep children from dying? Yes it does. Is a world where grains currently exist there is a staggering number of deaths of starvation (mostly in children) in the world. 30,000 people die DAILY from starvation. Grains keep a lot of people living.

So let me cut to the chase. I believe conventional wisdom is forced through government to us to make us believe it's the healthiest options. Do they have a reason to do this? Absolutely! Do grains kill us, no. Are they good for us? Hell no, again!

If it weren't for grains though (wait for it, about to pull a number from my ass) I believe 1/6 of the worlds population would die off.

Thoughts?

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Without grains, they wouldn't have been born in the first place and wouldn't spend most of their lives in a state of constant unhealthy semi-starvation. Is that a quality of life you would wish for yourself or your children?

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulamar View Post
    I don't want to jump on conspiracy theories for fear of being deemed a nut job but I must make the case for agriculture and grains.

I think we are told they are healthy for us because of how much of a necessity it is to keep the worlds population alive, at 7 billion people, there just isn't enough red meat to go around for everyone to eat 3x daily.

Cereal and bread have saved lives, they have stopped children from dying in impoverished countries. Does it provide optimal living? Hell no! Does it keep children from dying? Yes it does. Is a world where grains currently exist there is a staggering number of deaths of starvation (mostly in children) in the world. 30,000 people die DAILY from starvation. Grains keep a lot of people living.

So let me cut to the chase. I believe conventional wisdom is forced through government to us to make us believe it's the healthiest options. Do they have a reason to do this? Absolutely! Do grains kill us, no. Are they good for us? Hell no, again!

If it weren't for grains though (wait for it, about to pull a number from my ass) I believe 1/6 of the worlds population would die off.

Thoughts?
    don't worry, some of us agree with you. Though, I'm sure I am a nut job too!
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast