Thread: A few (probably) easy questions page

sohappy is offline Junior Member

A few (probably) easy questions

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I've been eating majority primal for a while now and have had really great results. Feel amazing, skin is so much better, nice initial weight lost, carb cravings gone etc. I just read the 21 Total Body transformation. I have a few questions:

1. Am I supposed to be buying lean cuts of meat/beef? Or does that not matter now? Such a hard habit to break - this eating fat on purpose!

2. I am not sure I have my protein/fat/calorie goals correct. I know these should fluctuate every day and just be an overall guide but until I get good at judging food, fullness, I'd like to keep track. I know carbs must stay between 50-100 for weight loss. I'm 45, female, weigh 165 and sedentary in lifestyle. Goal is 155 (so a lb a week). I caculated that my calories should be around 1620-1800: Fat: 99, Protein 101. Am I on the right track?

Also, which app does everyone use? For the droid. The two Mark recommends only do iphones.

Thanks!

otzi Guest
    So happy you are here!
    Good questions. Here is my opinion on them:
    1. Buy any type of meat you can eat a lot of. Don't go after particularly fatty cuts, but don't be scared to eat some fat. Beef and lamb are better than chicken and turkey. Grass fed is better than conventional store meat.
    2. Keep your carbs low and the rest will fall into place without much thought. All you really need to count is carbs, especially at first. Try to get them all from vegetables and very few from rice, potatoes, corn, or wheat. Later you can tweak that to see what you can tolerate. But, yes, 100g fat and 100g protein sound about right.

Also, no vegetable oil! no snacking! Try coconut oil, a couple spoons a day does you good.

Read Mark's books and the PB101 articles on here. They really do contain all you need to make this a success.

Good luck!

sohappy is offline Junior Member

great

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    So happy you are here!
    Good questions. Here is my opinion on them:
    1. Buy any type of meat you can eat a lot of. Don't go after particularly fatty cuts, but don't be scared to eat some fat. Beef and lamb are better than chicken and turkey. Grass fed is better than conventional store meat.
    2. Keep your carbs low and the rest will fall into place without much thought. All you really need to count is carbs, especially at first. Try to get them all from vegetables and very few from rice, potatoes, corn, or wheat. Later you can tweak that to see what you can tolerate. But, yes, 100g fat and 100g protein sound about right.

Also, no vegetable oil! no snacking! Try coconut oil, a couple spoons a day does you good.

Read Mark's books and the PB101 articles on here. They really do contain all you need to make this a success.

Good luck!

Yes, I've read and read the book and the PB articles are really helpful. I pretty much have the no vegetable oil, snacking down - after 8 weeks, this gets really routine. I guess my question on the meats was - should I be buying 85% lean or 95% lean hamburger? For all these years I did 95% but I'd love to go to cheaper.

Thanks for letting me know my numbers were right. Weird to eat so much fat, but I'm full so much longer.

otzi Guest
    I get 85% or lower. I was the same way, used to get the leanest burger available. Now I just get the cheapest, but sometimes it has too much gristle in it and is hard to eat.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    I actually had this question too. I've been primal for a month, and I feel like I do best on days that I keep my carbs under 50, and my protein and fats about equal -- but err on the side of protein being slightly higher. If I notice that my fat grams are creeping above my protein grams I'll try to compensate by finishing my day with a leaner protein source to try and give protein the upper hand.

From various calculations I've made, as a woman trying to get to 130-140lbs, I *think* I should be eating no less than 60g protein, but preferably more than 90g...
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and I track my food using the SparkPeople app. I have an iPhone, but apparently they have an Android version too.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

sonny3 is offline Junior Member
    There are many more here that can answer your diet and nutrition questions better than me. I have only been PB for about 3 weeks.

But for the Android phone my wife uses myfitnesspal. She loves it. I use FitDay on my computer and there are some things about her app that are just a little better.

Check it out, I think you will like it.

Sonny

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read the new book, but I believe the thinking was that you want to eat more of the better quality fat, especially WRT your Omega 3/6 ratio.

So if you're eating grassfed beef, go for the fat with abandon. If you're eating factory farmed beef, then maybe look for leaner cuts since the fat is higher in Omega 6 than grassfed.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I haven't read the new book, but I believe the thinking was that you want to eat more of the better quality fat, especially WRT your Omega 3/6 ratio.

So if you're eating grassfed beef, go for the fat with abandon. If you're eating factory farmed beef, then maybe look for leaner cuts since the fat is higher in Omega 6 than grassfed.
    This. Grass-fed fat is great for you, factory-farmed is better taken in moderation.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This. You can buy lean cuts that are by virtue of being lean going to contain less omega-6 overall, then add healthy oils to them while cooking. I can't afford grass-fed anything except the fat I make my tallow from!

I have trouble calculating how many calories are in a chunk of meat, but I know I don't normally exceed about a pound of fish in a day. Feels pretty good this way, but I'm a guy and my weight is almost where I want it so I'm not in a major hurry to drop weight quickly. But the majority of my calories do, by far, come from the fats. Way more than I get from the protein. I mean, I drink a whole can of straight up coconut milk for breakfast! Fat load!

I'm still sorting through the myths about excess meat consumption, so I can't speak with any authority/reliability on whether it's bad to eat too much.

My day usually starts with 765 calories of coconut milk, most of that is MCT fat. Then lunch is various produce including avocado, lettuce, oysters and mackerel, a very fatty fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Dinner is mountain of vegetables cooked in beef tallow and coconut oil, often with a side of salmon if I did lifting or sprinting that day. I do eat carbs, as a byproduct of vegetables and my apple a day. But I rarely break 75 grams of carbs in a day, while still getting well over 2000 calories. It just looks like, from what I've read, fat is a much safer macro to rely on than protein or carbs.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html