Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not only do you need to read ingredient listings... page 3

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great way to decide -- unpronounceable = bad.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Chanda is offline Member
    I just wanted to bring this back up for new people who may not know. Just because the front of the can says it's packed in water, doesn't necessarily mean that it's really packed in water. After not buying canned tuna for a couple of years, I found this out the hard way when I went to the grocery store. Luckily I found one that was more expensive that just had tuna and water on the label.

That always gets me. Why are things that have less ingredients more expensive??

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I can't remember who said it, but: The average super market carries about 50,000 products. Only a thousand of them are food.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Goes for pet food, too. We used to be die-hard fans of Nutro cat food, back when it was a little company making a quality food. Years later, they sold out, and immediately after, wheat appeared in the label. Dunno about today, because we left and gave our money to a company that doesn't sell its soul.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Goes for pet food, too. We used to be die-hard fans of Nutro cat food, back when it was a little company making a quality food. Years later, they sold out, and immediately after, wheat appeared in the label. Dunno about today, because we left and gave our money to a company that doesn't sell its soul.
    This is very annoying. You have to keep reading labels to see if they've changed the formulation and started adding gluten, wheat, or barley you cat food. I keep a gluten-free household, and I don't want my cats spreading wheat dust around it.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    My discovery the other day was a happy one.
    Last I checked, Sainsbury's sardines in olive oil had other added oils and too much added salt. That meant I had to buy M&S (79p/tin) or Morrison's (49p/tin, but the nearest Morrison's is hard to get to without travelling a bit). A few days ago I checked the Sainsbury's portuguese sardines in olive-oil ingredients list: sardines, olive-oil, under 1% salt (not all added). Yay! And only 49p/tin. Double-yay! And Sainsbury's is easy to get to when doing my usual shopping-run. Yay, yay yay yay. Yay!
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the heads up; going to take a closer look when I buy more tuna.

M.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    You have to keep reading them in NZ too

Today I picked up a packet of nut bars that I have sometimes bought my dd for her school lunch box.

Scanning the ingredients again, past oats, sugar, sugar, sugar... I came to glucose syrup from maize. Does anyone have any idea what that is?????

It sounds very suspicious to me and I'm sure it didn't used to be there. I threw the box back on the shelf and will have to make her some home baking after all.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Annie, that sounds suspiciously like good old fashioned corn syrup.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    One of the most WRONG examples of having to read labels is salt. Almost every brand of plain old table salt has sugar/dextrose as it's second ingredient.... why is there more than one ingredient? The only salt without sugar was a non-iodized brand....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast