Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark's New Pyramid page 2

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I bought the book to support Mark. It's cheap on Amazon too.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    what is the difference between the pyramids and why did they change it?
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HillsideGina View Post
    I bought the book to support Mark. It's cheap on Amazon too.
    Yeah, Mark's doing just fine, judging by the pictures his house in the book. I bought it mostly so I have something I don't mind giving someone if they want info about the PB.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Basically, the new pyramid has 5 sections instead of 4. On the bottom is meat, fish, fowl and eggs (as opposed to vegetables and fruits which was on the bottom before). Above that is vegetables. Above that is good fats. Above that is the new section: moderation foods (eg. high-fat dairy, starchy tubers and fruits). Finally, on the top is herbs, spices, etc.

Having one pyramid is obviously an oversimplification, because each person has their own needs. But I feel at my best when I lots of (healthy, preferably dark green) vegetables. Your carb intake isn't going to rise that much eating lots of salad and dark green veggies. In terms of raw weight, I'd say vegetables have to be equal to or greater than animal foods. Hence the huge salad with lots of lettuce and spinach .

And speaking of carbs, who cares if you're getting a few carbs when you eat, say, a whole broccoli or cauliflower? That thing is so good for you and delicious! Meat should be altered according to activity level, while vegetables should be the integral part of everybody's diet.

Just to make it clear, I eat a LOT of meat, fish and eggs (just had about 200g of lamb's liver and a chicken breast with a salad), because I do a lot of exercise. I just think veggies are as important for healthy functioning of the body .
    Last edited by mmsantos; 10-28-2011 at 02:05 PM.

mrsgp101310 is offline Member
    Well, the attachment says pending approval. Sorry guys, I tried...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mmsantos View Post
    Basically, the new pyramid has 5 sections instead of 4. On the bottom is meat, fish, fowl and eggs (as opposed to vegetables and fruits which was on the bottom before). Above that is vegetables. Above that is good fats. Above that is the new section: moderation foods (eg. high-fat dairy, starchy tubers and fruits). Finally, on the top is herbs, spices, etc.

Having one pyramid is obviously an oversimplification, because each person has their own needs. But I feel at my best when I lots of (healthy, preferably dark green) vegetables. Your carb intake isn't going to rise that much eating lots of salad and dark green veggies. In terms of raw weight, I'd say vegetables have to be equal to or greater than animal foods. Hence the huge salad with lots of lettuce and spinach .

And speaking of carbs, who cares if you're getting a few carbs when you eat, say, a whole broccoli or cauliflower? That thing is so good for you and delicious! Meat should be altered according to activity level, while vegetables should be the integral part of everybody's diet.

Just to make it clear, I eat a LOT of meat, fish and eggs (just had about 200g of lamb's liver and a chicken breast with a salad), because I do a lot of exercise. I just think veggies are as important for healthy functioning of the body .
    Hmmm. I think getting fruit out of the bottom layer and up into the "moderation" section is a good idea but I'm not so sure about making meat the base with veg above it. Do you happen to know if Mark was intending this to be by volume or by calorie content or what measure?

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsgp101310 View Post
    Well, the attachment says pending approval. Sorry guys, I tried...
    That usually happens with an attachment. I think it will be approved just need to wait.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hmmm. I think getting fruit out of the bottom layer and up into the "moderation" section is a good idea but I'm not so sure about making meat the base with veg above it. Do you happen to know if Mark was intending this to be by volume or by calorie content or what measure?
    Calorie count, IIRC. The book's at home so I can check in a little while.

Making meat the foundation of my diet in both volume and calories makes me feel great all the time. Second tier for me is sweet potatoes and other starches. Veg is third in quantity for me, but I get a variety, usually a side with every meal I cook. But I'm a young, active male doing heavy weight training.

Since I've restructured my diet and training this way, I've dropped another inch off my waist and added a half inch to both my arm and leg measurements, in under a month. So obviously it works for me. But I think it wouldn't be nearly as effective without heavy weights and sprinting, in which case I'd probably have to dial way back on the starch/calories, and up the veg.

EDIT: of course, heavy lifting and sprinting are part of the PB! So I suppose what I just said equates to "the PB wouldn't be so effective for me, if I weren't actually doing it."
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Calorie count, IIRC. The book's at home so I can check in a little while.

Making meat the foundation of my diet in both volume and calories makes me feel great all the time. Second tier for me is sweet potatoes and other starches. Veg is third in quantity for me, but I get a variety, usually a side with every meal I cook. But I'm a young, active male doing heavy weight training.

Since I've restructured my diet and training this way, I've dropped another inch off my waist and added a half inch to both my arm and leg measurements, in under a month. So obviously it works for me. But I think it wouldn't be nearly as effective without heavy weights and sprinting, in which case I'd probably have to dial way back on the starch/calories, and up the veg.

EDIT: of course, heavy lifting and sprinting are part of the PB! So I suppose what I just said equates to "the PB wouldn't be so effective for me, if I weren't actually doing it."
    OK. Calorie content would make sense. I can eat a huge volume of greens or veggies but the bulk of my calories are in the steak or salmon on top.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    So few calories from fat?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast