Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Autism and GAPS - A Month of Probiotics vs. Aspergers page

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member

Autism and GAPS - A Month of Probiotics vs. Aspergers

Shop Now
    So here's where I offer my body up to see how my autism changes with more probiotics.

I have honestly felt amazing over the past few months that I switched to paleo with primal movements. Now, I really want to see what happens to me when my gut bacteria work better.

This week, I bought 5 so coconut yogurts and 4 kombucha drinks. I will stick to 90% paleo (no dairy, but I will eat a few conventional meats like bacon and such. Also, I will do my best to avoid conventional oil and such, but I will document my deviations from the primal protocol.)

This will either be really good, or I'll I will be more "regular" .

Time to offer my body up to science!!!
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

newlife77 is offline Member
    Wow, well done u! My DS has mild autism and long b4 finding MDA I'd read how a low gluten (and poss casein) diet can help. Cos he's only mildly affected i didn't pay a lot of attention but since reading so much on here I now wanna change his (and my dd too!) diet for a whole host of reasons! Is that ur baby ur holding in ur profile pic and if so, do u plan to raise them primally?

Good luck and I'll be interested to read ur progress!

H x
    (ps sorry for spelling/grammar, on phone!)
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

Yesterday was a grass fed steak and some okra for dinner (starting a GAPS like protocol.) I also had a banana.

This was followed up by a whole raw kombucha drink and a coconut yogurt. I also noticed that my wife's prenatal vitamin has some probiotics in it as well and I took 2 of those.

This morning, my head feels a bit clearer. It's definitely noticeable.

I also had Trader Joes Omega-3 fortified eggs (2x) and 4x mini slices of bacon (2 whole strips) for breakfast (feels good!).

Today I'll just have a yogurt and some grass fed beef patties tonight. Vegetables I eat tonight will be from local sources at the local farmers market.

Today, I will also develop a mood tracker for my personal website to keep track of my mood/mental clarity. I hate those tools used on regular websites, because they don't track what I need.

Will keep you all posted on mental state.
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-28-2011 at 07:31 AM.
    Follow me on google+

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    This is interesting to me. I have a friend who's autistic and has recently gone through a whole host of CW due to heart issues. His symptoms are worse than ever. I will enjoy reading about your story as it unfolds. Thank you for sharing it.

Click on the GAPS link in my sig to get the mood information to see how I'm doing.

Also I'm going to work out tonight to see if I can increase my stress a bit tonight ;-).

Looks like I'm in for full upper body workout tonight.

:megusta:
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-28-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    Follow me on google+

kerriemoe is offline Junior Member
    This is very cool. My son is autistic and we give probiotics daily but that's more of an immunity thing. We haven't gone GF with him yet because he generally doesn't have the GI symptoms (and he is SO hooked on his bagels!) Please keep us posted on your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by kerriemoe View Post
    This is very cool. My son is autistic and we give probiotics daily but that's more of an immunity thing. We haven't gone GF with him yet because he generally doesn't have the GI symptoms (and he is SO hooked on his bagels!) Please keep us posted on your progress!
    Get him off of those bagels!

Had I known what I know now, I wouldn't need to be here testing my system.

Those probiotics do NOTHING if he eats bagels. Wheat is by far the worst addiction in America and nobody knows it. People with autism don't have the luxury of cheating, it makes us much worse .

If GAPS is correct (and my hunch is that it is,) I would assume you condemn your children with healthy whole grains.

I suffered my whole life.

Yes, I'm being completely rediculous, but I highly recommend you step in with some logical "researched" papers and intervene in his diet. I have always believed a better example is better, but in this case, bring in the heavy artillery.

Also, get rid of milk for sure! It's a safe harmless way of testing to see if your child gets better.

In short:
    • Probiotics are key
    • milk is a no go
    • wheat is rediculously terrible
    • As many omega 3 enriched foods as possible!

You can't go wrong by just trying it.

If your spouse doesn't let you make the change, bring them here to this site, sit them down, and I'll personally have a discussion with them about it. ;-)
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-28-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    Follow me on google+

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    A bit off topic, BUT... I just now saw this video that Sean Croxton with Underground Wellness has done on the correlation between A1 cow milk (mostly what we have in the States, but not Australia, New Zealand) and autism (amongst other things). His video is based upon the book Devil In The Milk.

From the Underground Wellness blog:

I first learned of the relevance of A1 and A2 milk during my radio show with Jordan Rubin a few months ago. Listening to him speak about it, I knew that it was certainly a topic of great importance. However, I didn’t quite grasp the magnitude of it until I pulled Keith Woodford’s Devil in the Milk off of my bookshelf this past weekend.

The video below is just the beginning of what Woodford so scientifically outlines in The Devil. It is almost unbelievable how a single alteration in a string of amino acids can quite possibly lie at the root of so many serious health problems including heart disease, type I diabetes, multiple sclerosis, autism, schizophrenia, and more.

Devil in the Milk – Part 1 | Underground Wellness

(includes an excellent video where Sean breaks it all down on a white board)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    A bit off topic, BUT... I just now saw this video that Sean Croxton with Underground Wellness has done on the correlation between A1 cow milk (mostly what we have in the States, but not Australia, New Zealand) and autism (amongst other things). His video is based upon the book Devil In The Milk.

From the Underground Wellness blog:

I first learned of the relevance of A1 and A2 milk during my radio show with Jordan Rubin a few months ago. Listening to him speak about it, I knew that it was certainly a topic of great importance. However, I didn’t quite grasp the magnitude of it until I pulled Keith Woodford’s Devil in the Milk off of my bookshelf this past weekend.

The video below is just the beginning of what Woodford so scientifically outlines in The Devil. It is almost unbelievable how a single alteration in a string of amino acids can quite possibly lie at the root of so many serious health problems including heart disease, type I diabetes, multiple sclerosis, autism, schizophrenia, and more.

Devil in the Milk – Part 1 | Underground Wellness

(includes an excellent video where Sean breaks it all down on a white board)
    I don't doubt this is true for a second. After cutting dairy I felt better. I could honestly try going back to milk for a few weeks to see what happens to my body for experimentation.

File this under TODO: Autism/aspergers vs milk
    Follow me on google+

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I don't know a whole lot of about autism .... but I don't think the Aussies and the Kiwis are seeing anywhere near the explosion in this we are, eh?
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast