Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crockpot - what do I do with it? page 2

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I was afraid of my slow cooker when I first got it, I was convinced that it just couldn't be that easy. Well, it really is that easy. Tomorrow morning here's whats going in mine: 3 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs that were on sale at the store tonight, onions, carrots, sweet potato, and a can of tomatos. I haven't decided what I'm going to put on the meat for spices yet, probably some of the chipotle chili rub I found recently. By the time I get home tomorrow night, I'll have an amazing chicken stew that will last me for most of the weekend
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Slow cooking is super easy. Some times, I like to brown the meat first (for extra flavour) - sometimes I don't. If you slice an onion and brown that in lard until really going brown - beyond golden, but not burned - you don't need to brown the meat - the caramelised flavour is in the onion.

Favourite - 4 lamb chops, 2 large potatoes peeled and chopped, couple of carrots peeled and chopped, one swede (rutabaga?) peeled and chopped. Salt, pepper and sprig of rosemary. Settle all in slow cooker, add water to nearly come to top of chopped veg, cook on low 6 hours.

It is delicious and needs nothing browned first.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i love the slow cooker, esp in winter. I prefer to cook overnight, then put the stuff in the fridge during the day. It seems to me that the flavors get together better that way. Here's my favorite:

in a skillet, melt bacon fat & brown 4 beef shanks sprinkled w/ chocolate
    place browned shanks in crockpot
    add 1 sweet potato, raw, cut into 1" chunks or so
    cover w/ 28 oz can of crushed tomotoes
    add 1/2 small can of chipotle salsa
    sprinkle with additional cumin & chocolate

cook on low for 8 hrs

i mostly stick to beef for the crockpot. I don't use chicken b/c i like chicken skin but it doesn't turn out so well in the crockpot.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    just google & you'll find a ton of recipes.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm the only person on the forum who hates a crock pot. Meat tends to be dryer and more bland than other cooking techniques. Now, I couldn't live without my enamel coated dutch oven!

There are a few things I will make in a crock pot...I really like this Mexican Stew recipe from ED Paleo: It's Too Hard!!! And a not so hard recipe | Everyday Paleo
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

here's a guide from thekitchn.com about slowcooking.

7 Tips For Making Better Soup in the Slow Cooker | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn

It's about soup, but the principles are pretty universal.

I like to use my slow cooker to make pulled pork. rub in some spices, cover in chopped onions, then put it on low for 16 hours. It just breaks apart. If the meat is particularly fatty, you may need to finish it in the oven to dry it out a bit. Otherwise it can be pretty liquidy.
    "Fat gives things flavor." -Julia Child
    "It's perfect! Even if it's not, who cares. No excuses." -Julia Child

A cast iron skillet is a lifestyle, not a tool.

My sunshine and bacon filled journal

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    Here is almost exactly what I do with the chicken, except I do buy a free range one from Trader Joe's, and I rub the old gal all over with spices. I think my spice mix is a little different every time. I get a small bowl and put some shakes of garlic, thyme (I like on chicken), paprika, sometimes oregano, or whatever really. And yes, NO liquid. The crockpot will be about half full of liquid when it's done. My husband is kind enough to pick it all off the bone -- we eat a big portion with vegetables for first meal, and then after that I use it for chicken salad (homemade mayo if I have it prepared), put it in salads, take it as leftovers to work for lunch, etc. SO GOOD AND EASY. I discovered this only in the last year ago and can't believe I didn't know how to do it before. I made some very messy roast chickens in the ovens, turning it up high to try to crisp the skin, etc. This is WAY easier, at least for me.
    I wonder if this would also work with a bone-in turkey breast? It's on our list to pick up at the store tonight and I might give it a try next week.

hockeyfan7 is offline Senior Member
    I just bought a pork shoulder roast and it's going in the crockpot with:

1 cup cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon honey

Makes a nice North Carolina BBQ sauce and it's delicious! You can leave out the honey if you want.

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member
    get a 7 bone roast (shape of the bone not how many bones there are, often goes on sale at my local for 2.99/lb). Put 1 can of beef broth (or home made equivalent), a cup or so of red cooking wine, and the roast in crockpot. Low for about 6-8 hours. You have tender meat, delicious broth, and when you refrigerate the broth, TALLOW! The hard white stuff on top is tallow, and the broth is actually bone broth, as you will see in the fridge it sets up like jello. Enjoy
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    My go-to super-easy crockpot technique is to buy whatever type of roast is the cheapest, rub it with a spicy seasoning blend that I get from Penzey's, cut an onion into chunks and throw it in the bottom of the crockpot, put in the rost, top it with a can of diced tomatoes - usually the kind that has chili peppers and seasonings in it. Cook for 8 - 10 hours on low. Serve with a side of cauli-mash or some roasted sweet potatoes. Yum. And it usually makes enough for a couple of meals for DH & I.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast