Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leptin resistance (new post by Stephan) page

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

I guess awriter destroyed the last thread. Starting a new one. Hopefully people will ignore her messages here, and we will have some real discussion.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/01/body-fat-setpoint-part-ii-mechanisms-of.html

It shows that temporary leptin resistance can develop due to high triglycerides. As it affects leptin penetrating the Blood-Brain Barrier. This one should go away as soon as TGs reduced.

TGs go high on a high fat diet but don't remain high for long. While they don't go too high on a high carb diet but remain high for much longer.

Also leptin resistance affects on a really long term basis.

So a high carb diet that keeps TGs high constantly will cause metabolic syndrome.

There has to be a catch because Kitavans don't get metabolic syndrome. I guess we need to wait for his further messages.

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Perhaps it is the high fructose consumption that makes the difference? On the other hand, I never considered myself a consumer of high fructose and I developed metabolic syndrome?

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

maba is offline Senior Member

@Asturian: Have you seen Dr.Robert Lustig's video "Sugar: The bitter truth" (it's avaiable on youTube)? In the beginning of the video, he asks the audience what is common to both Atkin's Diet and the traditional Japanese diet and the answer is little-to-no-fructose and then he goes on to talk about how fructose messes up with our body.

@Anand: Thanks for starting this thread. Would love to hear/learn more on this topic.

@maba

Yes I have seen that video. I'm thinking it has to be more than just fructose or sugar which are chemically the same as Lustig says.

Myself, I have never been a big consumer of sodas, or juice or fruits or any sweets for that matter, no sweet tooth here. My carb addiction was for starchy carbs, especially potatos, corn and grain products, as well as beans and rice.

I'm not saying sugar/fructose has nothing to do with it and I agree it very likely contributes a very large share to the world's obesity epidemic. Just saying there must be more to it than that.

So the trig theory makes sense to me, well at least until Anand brought up the Kitavans.

??

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Vick is offline Senior Member

This link is a Dr. that seems to have a pretty good handle on the topic.

http://www.fatresistancediet.com/leptin-weight-loss

In 25 words or less he is promoting the balancing of omega 3-6 and foods with antioxidants. Grass fed beef and cutting out grains and sugars.

An interesting point is a comment about omega 3 has a short shelf life and this is one reason why food processing has gotten away from it.

Catalina is offline Member

Vick. . .I checked out that site and got the 1-day menu they recommend. Interesting--4 servings of fruit, + low-fat yogurt and low-fat ricotta cheese. I'm going to guess that adds up to a fair amount of sugar grams. Plus they recommend meals plus snacks, which seems to go against that 5-hour thing OTB wrote about in the other leptin thread. Definitely no grains, though.

It looks like this is another area where we will find various viewpoints, so this thread is good. . .thanks for keeping it going for us to explore, Anand.

The Lean Saloon is offline Junior Member

Keeping in mind that the cause of leptin resistance is still theoretical and possibly multifactorial, the discussion should also include inflammation.

There are many mechanisms for inflammation, such as diet (grains, sugar, etc.), lifestyle, stress, etc.

Perhaps the well meaning Dr. Galland does not have the right Rx but his diagnostic inflammation hypothesis does seem to be one that unifies many of the others like high triglycerides via high-carb diet (sugars and/or starches), omega 3/6 ratio, autoimmune triggers from gluten grains, any of which could trigger systemic low-grade inflammation.

His discussion of the close inter-relationship shared between fat cells and inflammation response was interesting. I have noticed myself that when I have had respiratory/flu infections in the past, I do generally lose several pounds of weight despite trying to maintain proper fluids.

I've been meaning to go over and read Dr. Ayer's "Cooling Inflammation" Blog. I have skimmed through it but not read too deeply into his articles. This inflammation thing has captured my attention.

—Robert A. Heinlein

Vick is offline Senior Member

@Asturian

Thanks for pointing out De. Ayer's blog. I too am interested with this inflammation thing.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@Asturian

Inflammation of Hypothalamus is another issue that Stephan touched upon in the article. But there is no expansion on that yet. Hopefully we will see some big insights into all this.

One would think that fasting might help to fix the adverse effects of high TGs, but Kitavans are living on a land of plenty, and never have the need to fast forcefully. Maybe they have a ritual for fasting like most religions, which fixes this problem. In that case I would expect that, it would have been noticed by the researchers.

I do find Kitavans the most interesting HG group. They just turn all our understanding on its head. They show us that we have a lot to learn about good health.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast