Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quitting grains is like quitting cigarettes page

PrimalLace is offline Member

Quitting grains is like quitting cigarettes

Primal Fuel
    Just started Monday.... I feel like I have gone through the same 3 days this week as I did when I quit smoking in 2009.
    First I was tired and grouchy and bored, but I didn't want grain. I hated the stuff. Never going to touch it again. This lasted through day two.
    Yesterday, day 3, I started fantasizing about French bread. And much like I did with cigarettes, I began romanticizing the process of French bread... the art, the smell, the craft, the communal nature of sharing a loaf of bread or baking. I started justifying cheating to myself... "Once I know I'm not addicted I can have just one slice of French bread. It will be fine."
    This morning I woke up and realized that grains are a lot like cigarettes. Not healthy. And I'm not just giving up the grains to get healthy so I can return to them later. I am giving them up like I gave up cigarettes... for good. And just like smoking, I am sure there will be a day when I slip up and have a nibble of someone's bread... but I bet it won't taste as good anymore.
    Or, maybe, just maybe... it will taste so amazing that only one bite is really all I need. But probably not.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Totally agree, this subject has been talked about a bit lately. My take on it is here but instread of grains i talk about quitting sugar

Perspective: Is sugar worse than smoking?
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Yup. You'll go through withdrawal too.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Yep. But take heart! Bread actually isn't as good anymore for me. And I definitely don't crave it anymore. When I'm hungry I crave steak. Or eggs. Or sushi. Mmmm, sushi...

I do have an occasional slice of really good sourdough bread when it's available. That's worth it to me. But I don't go nuts and eat a loaf like I used to, and I don't buy it at stores, only when eating out at nice places that make REALLY good bread.

EDIT: it probably took me about 6 months or so before I could comfortably eat one slice of bread and stop. So yeah, I was pretty addicted.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    I have been thinking about bread a lot lately too. I just came back from Germany and I can't get the bratwurst on a crunchy roll out of my head that I had one of the last days I was there. I gained a pound or two in the process.

Tomtom is offline Junior Member
    I just quit smoking last weekend. I should be starting PB in the next couple of weeks. I hope quitting grains is not as hard as that was...

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    As someone who quit both, quitting smoking was a hundred times harder in my experience. Just my opinion.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    As someone who quit both, quitting smoking was a hundred times harder in my experience. Just my opinion.
    Everybody's different! And some people have really bad grain/sugar addictions.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    Sugar was harder for me than grains.

But I was getting coffee at work yesterday and someone had toasted bread. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM was the smell

then I had to remind myself of the aarrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh stomach cramps that will go with that lovely smelling bread.

back to the office. P
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    Same here... Quitting grains was a cake walk compared to smoking.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast