Thread: 3 weeks Primal! A few questions! (thyriod disease, primal work-out) page

happilyme is offline Junior Member

3 weeks Primal! A few questions! (thyriod disease, primal work-out)

Shop Now
    I am so excited to say that today marks my 3rd week going primal. I am currently 260lbs, 5'10 and wanting to loose 100lbs! A little background on myself.. Throughout most of my teens I was 170lbs no matter how I ate! Over the last few years I became ill suffering from many scary symptoms! Rapid heart rate, muscle weakness, high blood pressure, heart palpitations and many other! Until Jan. '10 when I was diagnosed with hyperthyriodism and Graves disease. Needless to say my thyriod was extremely over active! I started hormone therapy within days. Sadly, I was allergic to the medicine and was forced to take steriods for several months before finally having my thyriod removed in June '10. At this point I was taking a heart/blood pressure medicine, steroids and a hormone supplement. So in almost 2 years of being diagnosed I have gained nearly 100 pounds and my energy has never been so low. Fast forward a little bit.. I recently went to my doctor to have a routine check-up of my hormone levels and he suggested the PB to me. He has been primal for over a year now and has lost 100+ pounds! Wow, what an inspiration! I was so happy and inspired that I immediately bought the book and dove in! I am now 3 weeks in and haven't felt this healthy in years! I am not sure if I have lost any weight but my energy levels are on an all time high ALREADY! However, I am currently on a very tight budget and trying to get into the primal work-out. I cannot afford a gym membership so I was hoping for some in-home suggestions for working out. I work on my feet 9 hours a day and walking is apart of my job! I have decided to take the stairs instead of the elevator and walk more frequently on lunch breaks at work! I would love some suggestions for lifting heavy things and sprinting once in a while! I live in the Midwest so it is pretty darn cold here and not much to do outside during these months! I truly feel like going Primal is going to change my life forever! I am young (only 23) so I have many years left to live healthy and at my highest potential! Do any of you have thyroid disease and live a primal lifestyle successfully? Any suggestions relating to my disease? I am sure I will have many other questions since this is just the beginning of my journey! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ps. One other question lol.. I do not eat fish of any kind so my diet consist of many other meats.. Do you Primal's suggest a fish oil supplement? Is it necessary?

FYI: I no longer take steroids or heart/blood pressure medicine. My surgery has successfully lowered my BP and heart rate! I do take a hormone supplement everyday.

Hopeful primal,
    Emily

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I would definitely suggest fish oil supplements if you don't eat fish. You can get omega-3s from other food, but not in as high quantities. Grass-fed beef would be the next best thing.

I am also 23! I like finding other young primals here Sounds like you've been through a lot but you are on a great path now! As for working out, I invested in a kettlebell and am just doing 50 swings with it 3x a week (trying to anyway) and it seems to work pretty well. Check out bodyweight exercises, bodyweight workouts for body weight exercises to start with. I am roughly following that plan (can only do assisted push-ups right now, but I'm working on it! When I stay on track, I can get up to 10 at a time haha).

Do a search around the forum for thyroid disease. I feel like there may be others who have gone through what you are going through and been successful...
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Nameless, Thanks for your response! I am currently eating all grass fed meats. I also have switched most of my fruits/veggies over to organic! I will definitely look into the kettlebell and find a fish-oil supplement!

Thanks again,
    Em

Tarna is offline Junior Member
    Happilyme,
    I have had hypothyroid since childhood. I recently lost over 45 pounds in 4 months. I did not exercise during the weight lost just walking and of course food changes. My husband has kettlebells and the true ones(old russia style) or the sport style not the cute gimecky ones are done in increments so it may be a bit much to start with if you have no muscle strength yet. I suggest you buy dumbbells that you can change the weight on them so you can increase your workouts as you get stronger. Kettlebells have a particular technique you must learn or you can injure yourself so if you decide you are interested in that you may want to get a video from a person like "Steve Cotter" to see it done correctly.I currently use dumbbells myself and do rows and presses which can be done from a bench, chair, floor, and etc. You may want to check out Krista site which has good information.
    stumptuous.com
    May I ask why you do not eat fish? I currently eat fish but originally could not stomach it but came to find it had to do with finding good quality fish and KNOWING how to prepare it. I currently have had to go every 2 months to check my blood for my thyroid medication and have lowered it with this type of eating. So keep a journal and know that with thyroid problems it takes (depending on the person) from 1 month to 3 months to tell the difference. So what you are taking now you may only know if you are doing worse or better much later. Explained to me by a very good doctor when I was ill many years ago so be patient with yourself and know that if you stick to it you will get better.
    Hope this helps
    Dawn

Dawn, Thanks for sharing! I have Hyperthyroidism which is the opposite of hypo. I had an extremely over active thyroid which resulted in no weight gain for years no matter what my lifestyle was. I now am considered hypo and previously being hyper has caused a huge amount of weight gain for me in little time (of course my eating habits and lifestyle add to it) As for me not eating fish.. I simply do not like it. My boyfriend is a fish fanatic and often cooks wild salmon, cod and many other fishes however, I have yet to find one I can stomach or enjoy as a meal. If you have suggestions I am willing to try anything!

Thanks,
    Em

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Emily !
    I'm on thyroid meds - my doctor just switched my meds at the first of October, but so far I haven't seen any difference. I know that it may take a little longer to notice anything. My test results from the blood work in September showed that it was still not working, which he attributes to my non-existent weight loss. I am also on bio-identical hormone meds and I have seen a little change with that ....LOL. My testosterone level in particular ... my Mom noticed that within a months time. She told me one day that I was back to my feisty - take no prisoners self, and acting more like I did when I was 17. Estrogen and progesterone were more subtle !

I do lift heavy, but on my off days from gym, I do body weight exercises ... in particular convict squats and pushups against the counter top. The body weight workouts will give you a good workout until you can get kettlebells/dumbbells or a gym.

I've never been a huge fan of fish, although I do love crab. I've never had wild salmon, well not when it was cooked properly. I freely admit that I love a little can of sardines though, especially the ones with the little hot peppers in them. My Dad used to fry fish (catfish) pretty often, and I enjoyed the first piece, then I had enough.

I love eating primal/paleo ... I don't stress over eating anymore. For the most part, this is how I ate growing up, then I fell into the gutter of eating SAD. Made the mistake of listening to "trainers" and "professionals" and went the route of multiple meals. I found myself so stressed over it that I hated even eating. Coming back to eating primal /paleo has brought me back full circle. I actually enjoy my meals now and I'm not stressed with meals.
    My workouts are stronger, because I am stronger. Eating this way, living this way makes us strong !
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Orannhawk, Thanks so much! It is so nice to hear from someone who knows the battle of the hormones. I am constantly up and down with weight and energy because of my thyroid disease. My Doc did tell me that it may be a little harder for me to loose weight than others but that he would monitor my levels closely to ensure that I get maximum weight loss from my new lifestyle. Whats so nice is that not only is my doctor basically doing it with me but my boyfriend has decided to join in and since we live together it makes it much easier! I am definitely seeing improvement in my energy and sleeping patterns and I look forward to more success! My doctor changed my medicine in September and I go back Nov 1st to get the update on my levels and results of me going Primal! I can't wait to see if I have lost any weight and how my blood work comes back. It will be just shy of a month going Primal when I go! I look forward to being able to post my progress!

Em

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happilyme View Post
    Orannhawk, Thanks so much! It is so nice to hear from someone who knows the battle of the hormones. I am constantly up and down with weight and energy because of my thyroid disease. My Doc did tell me that it may be a little harder for me to loose weight than others but that he would monitor my levels closely to ensure that I get maximum weight loss from my new lifestyle. Whats so nice is that not only is my doctor basically doing it with me but my boyfriend has decided to join in and since we live together it makes it much easier! I am definitely seeing improvement in my energy and sleeping patterns and I look forward to more success! My doctor changed my medicine in September and I go back Nov 1st to get the update on my levels and results of me going Primal! I can't wait to see if I have lost any weight and how my blood work comes back. It will be just shy of a month going Primal when I go! I look forward to being able to post my progress!

Em
    I had no clue that my hormones were so out of balance until I had full blood panels done for food allergies, then the thyroid panels and then the tests for the hormones. My body temp is still way low, so I know that my thyroid is not running the way it should. Most days it runs at 94-95, but several times when I have done the week long temp check, I had a few days at 93.
    One of the big things I noticed after I started on the hormone meds was the fact that I am finally able to sweat ! For years I would just get super hot, red in the face, but no sweat. Now when I go to gym, or if I am working here at the house, I am getting a good sweat going.

It's wonderful that your BF and your doctor are primal too ! Sure makes things easier and having the support and understanding is so good !
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Tarna is offline Junior Member
    Dear Happilyme,
    I forgot to mention that you should take your measurements so you can monitor your weight loss because the scale works fine for weight but there are problems with it when it comes to "skinny fat" and water loss. You will see a big difference obviously in your clothes and with a journal you will also be able to find what foods or particular symptoms are repeating. Do not feel pressed to workout hard when you start worry more about your food choices the body will follow along when it is ready. I cannot tell you how happy I was when i finally was able to do just a body squat. The other problem not mentioned here is the skin that hangs which I had because of my quick weight loss while some with tone on it is own in time. I have read about a method of brushing the skin in circular motions with a (bath?) brush soft to work the skin to motivate the skin itself. I have tried it and it seems to work but I forgotten the name of this process.

As to the fish, I am currently living in Portugal and I hated can fish. I found that fish that is fresh with some sea salt, grilled and then add little lemon juice or olive oil is divine. You have to find that RIGHT kind of fish. Some fish will have more pungent taste like salmon which I usually only like grilled on occasion while others are more delicate. I hate can tuna but i love fresh (steakcut) tuna. My favorite portuguese recipe for this is to salt it then heat a pan on stovetop (that has a lid to cover) I put Pork lard (yes that is what is used and you can mix in butter too) then heat the hot pan add the fish minced garlic, sliced onion start to cook. Cover the dish and about 5-10 min check and flip the fish and cook another 5 min if needed you can add water but I never usually don't have to. When done add chopped fresh coriander and lemon slices. This is a typical old style algarve dish (my husband is portuguese) say I do it better then many places here. I forgot to mention that fish here(portugal) usually is served whole when grilled so it is usually cooked in its own juices. Picking good fresh fish look at the eyes(they should be clear not foggy), smell should be of the sea or no smell because they are iced(if they stink they are not good) and if they are drooling blood (yes it is a good thing). Just make sure the place you buy it from descales the fish for you or you will have to do that yourself. I personally have the belly cleaned out (as in cut open and the guts removed) because i do not like the flavor it adds to the fish. Grilling a good medium size fish 6-9 ounce fish(whole fish) should be salted on both sides and grilled 5-8 min per side. You may put olive oil and lemon juice on the fish when you are eating it. I hope this helps and give you some ideas.

Pa-RN is offline Member
    happilyme..Take a look at the Fitness book here on MDA that you can download.It has the 5 essential Primal movements that use all your own bodyweight.Best of luck!