Thread: Chocolate Liquor and a resulting "buzz" page

hikergirl07 is offline Junior Member

Question Chocolate Liquor and a resulting "buzz"

In Mark's blog from Jul 11 about chocolate, he states that chocolate liquor is a great source for cacao. I just found some at Whole Foods, packaged as Endangered Species all-natural dark chocolate halloween treats, 100% ethically traded, small family-farmed cacao, etc.

I thought, what a great treat for losing 35 pounds since May! The ingredients are as follows:
    Bittersweet chocolate (chocolate liquor, unbleached water-filtered beet sugar, cocoa butter, soy lecithin, vanilla). I realize the words sugar and soy appear, but the sugar was vegetable-based . . . ??

I have been nearly sugar and grain free since mid-may, with an occasional bit of granola on my occasional yogurt parfait, or an occasional curry cracker with hummus. After eating "1" square (serving size: 4!) of this chocolate, my head was spinning like it used to pre-primal if I had too much wedding cake! I feel drunk!

Was this the wrong type of chocolate, or am I just so de-sensitized that I can't do chocolate anymore?

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Caffeine is a drug.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    lol, my parent's church group buys 100% ethically traded, small family-farmed blah blah blah coffee and I told them they were being ripped off, I said to ask what the cut was for the growers. on the bag that they were paying $6 the growers got 20
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also the darker the chocolate the more theobromine as well. It's a stimulant and interestingly enough is also what makes chocolate poisonous for dogs. Too much can be poisonous for humans as well, so I wouldn't go way overboard with the stuff, just to be on the safe side.

At least that's what I've gathered based on the little reading I've done on the matter, I'm far from an expert on this.