Thread: Am I a bad person? page

PrimalBaker is offline Member

Am I a bad person?

Primal Fuel
    My name here is now PrimalBaker (used to be KrisC but that's a whole 'nother story). Anyway, I love to bake all the crap I no longer eat. I LOVE making cupcakes and pretty sugar-filled frostings with food dyes. Chocolate chip cookies are another favorite of mine to bake. But I have been great since I began Primal eating in February 2011 and have not eaten many of these things. I use them as a rare treat, per the 80/20 rule, though I try to be 90/10 most often. IS it wrong for me to love making these treats for others, knowing how it is just killing us in the long run?

Honestly, my way of thinking about it now is this: Far more people are going to follow the CW, or hell, even disregard that and eat all the crap they like to eat anyway. Why not make the goodies? I work in a cupcake shop; this pays my bills. There will not be a mass closing of bakeries and bake shops even if everyone read PB or the writings of Loren, Cordain or Price. And truthfully, I enjoy my felling of smugness when I see people eating crap foods. And I like knowing I will age well and happily and healthily while they won't, and they won't because they trusted the government advice for grains, or just couldn't, or wouldn't, stop the chips/bread/crackers/cakes addiction. Sadly, this includes my husband, and he makes it hard to get my kids to eat what I know will keep them healthy in the long term.

Funny, those who rail against the government and don't trust gov't in their lives are happy to follow the nutrition advice espoused by gov't (well, big-ag anyway).

mamaparks is offline Member
    I am with you on loving to bake- I just stay away because I would eat it all. I think you should try your hand at primalizing all of your baked goods. Tweak them until they are better than the stuff you make now. I made a pumpkin bread the other day and it was just as good as the conventional kind. I don't think your love of baking things for people makes you a bad person, it's an act of love. But why not just switch it up and not tell them and I bet you they won't know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalBaker View Post
    IS it wrong for me to love making these treats for others, knowing how it is just killing us in the long run?
    Ask yourself this, is it wrong to be a car, airplane, or even gun factory worker? Those things kill too. You don't force anyone to do what they do. Everyone is free to do with their bodies as they please. And you simply deliver the goods which some people made them their personal choice.

You already sort of answered yourself: "And truthfully, I enjoy my felling of smugness when I see people eating crap foods." Don't worry, give them what they want!
    Primal Matrix - primal/paleo news feeds aggregator
    LowCarbFlix - carb free videos

hockeyfan7 is offline Senior Member
    I'm sitting here with a nice big porterhouse steak I grilled for lunch. Keep feeding the baked goods to those who eat CW -- more steak for me!!!

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    I think it's natural for mothers to enjoy making food their family enjoys eating, despite the long-term consequences. Unfortunately the bar for palatable food has been raised so high in our sugar-addicted society. Most popular(read: junk) foods have been engineered for maximum palatability, how can healthy food compete with that?
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

PrimalLace is offline Member
    Thank you for your post... I own a bakery cafe and I have been living in guilt for 4 days wondering if I am killing people with my sugary goodness. But we have salads. So the choice is theirs.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalBaker View Post
    I like knowing I will age well and happily and healthily while they won't
    LOL. Yeah, maybe you've got a teeeeeeny touch of evil in there. Or at least a healthy competitive streak. But you enjoy it and it pays the bills, and one cupcake isn't going to kill anybody anyway. I don't always recycle, but I don't lay awake at night pondering my contributions to global warming.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    You are what you do, to some extent, so if you are even questioning it in a humorous way, then maybe it's starting to bother you, and in the long run you'll feel better and more Primal by doing something different.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    People are going to eat sweets. That's a fact. Is it better for them to eat HFCS, trans fat crap or butter and sugar? Obviously the latter. Over the past few years I have spoiled both my sons' best friends for factory baked "goods" and now make all their birthday cakes. For the older kid's confirmation, I made him a gluten free cake and he didn't even notice! I do still sample, though as time goes on I'm happier with smaller bits.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

PrimalBaker is offline Member
    Thanks for all the replies! I have enjoyed baking for a while now and don't plan on giving it up. In my mind, the vast majority of people will be sticking with their SAD (my husband included) and it's not my job to force Primal on them. They don't want to hear it and don't think they can do it. So I might as well enjoy what I do. I am trying some recipes from places like Elana's Pantry for myself, my family and anyone else who might be interested but the reality is most people have no interest in changing their eating habits, even if it can make them healthier in the long run.

For myself, I don't really eat much of what I bake. I of course taste test, but I don't believe a small amount, taken on my pinky, will kill me. And for all those who choose to continue their SAD, well, that's more steak for me! And it gives me an edge in the long run. I wish my family would join me in this, and I do have influence over my kids so one day they will hopefully embrace my WOE and enjoy their health for a long time.