Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those with a lot of weight to lose.... page

goin2befit is offline Member

Those with a lot of weight to lose....

Primal Fuel
    How many carbs do you eat a day? Do they come from veggies, fruits, yogurt, cheese, starchy veggies, etc?

Just to sum it up and make it short, I had lost 99 pounds once while doing Atkins-half assed... at that time I hated veggies and would eat meat, eggs, cheese and 20 grams of junk (chocolate, cakes, donuts, etc) in addition my chicken and cube steak was breaded, so was the mozzarella sticks and fish sandwhiches from McDonalds (yeah, I know not healthy...) this was back in 2003.... If you plug this in, way more than 20

I lost again in 2008-2009 with the same idea... I tried Atkins, and ALWAYS cheated.... I could only handle 5, 6 days at most of 20 carbs from veggies and then I would just turn to Junk again - ice cream, cookies, chocolate, cereal, you name it.... I would always drop weight the next day, but if continued "binging" I would gain some, go back to the 20 carbs of veggies and repeat until I would be so down on myself for CHEATING that I just gave up and went for an all you can eat!!!! But overall a weight loss of about 85 pounds in a year!!!

Again, day 5 of low carb (Primal) with fats, meat, and about 15-20 carbs in veggies .... again same thing... cheated last night with 2 bowels of cereal and lost a pound this morning!!! Why is this... Is this my body telling me FEED ME CARBS?????

I know I read the weight loss range of carbs is 50-100, but is that even for people who have 200 pounds to lose?

I have read from time to time about carb cycling... is that what my body wants...

I just need someone to tell me it will be okay, just track what I eat and try it!

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    no unfortunately carb cycling for u is no good. its a mental game ur body is fighting right now. honestly ur going to have to be strong about the carbs. ur body is so used to eating that way, its going to WANT carbs all the time. i would do only 20g for a very short time, maybe 3 or 4 days. then go up to 50g. ive lost over 250lbs, wish i did it primaly but i went cold turkey on all refined carbs, i had to. do ur best, and remind urself this is for ur health and renew ur life. god bless u.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

goin2befit is offline Member
    Chochobo~ First, CONGRATS on such an amazing weight loss... Since you did cut out all refined carbs did you eliminate bread, grains, etc entirely? Could you give me an idea of what you did eat to lose the weight?

Would you recommend the 50g of carbs being just from veggies or should it come from yogurt, fruit, nuts, etc as well?

Thanks!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Hi,

I had 110 + to lose when I started. In your final response to your other thread, you said that you didn't know who to follow. Start by following Mark's advice on the carbohydrate curve. 50 - 150 gms of carb. Everything grain, legume and sugar free is on the menu. Try that for a while. You may just find that your body responds well. Everyone is different. If that does not cause weightloss, then do things like lower carbs below 50 or do the Leptin Reset.

I average 100 carbs/day I eat 1-2 fruits and one complex carb like sweet potato every day. This is a permanent life change and your goal is to bring your body to optimal health. It is not a race to lose weight as much as we are dying to get skinny.

Today:
    coffee w/ cream
    2 egg
    3 slices bacon
    peaches

Chicken thigh
    med. sweet potato
    salad w/ o/v dressing

6oz ground beef
    lettuce and tomato
    1 oz cheese

after workout:
    52g whey protein drink
    banana

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I did Atkins and lost, at first, then leveled off. I had only lost 20 pounds. So I decided to go Primal, lost nothing. then figured out I need to do a bit more (I have about 100 pounds to lose). So I found a book called S.P.E.E.D. It incorporates primal eating with scientifically proven methods to help in your journey to weight loss.

Specifically regarding carbs, they advocate a low carb diet. But 20 is really considered Very Low Carb and would be hard to maintain, especially if you are not doing net carbs (carb grams minus fiber grams). I actually do better with weight loss when my Net Carbs are around 35 to 50, which is usually about 60 to 70 if you don't do net.

I just never got over the carb flu and felt like crap for months, till I added in more carbs (in the form of more veggies) I don't do any grains or sugar, so I would not do cereal unless it was my homemade (grainless) granola.

if you are interested, the website for the book is S.P.E.E.D. - Evidence Based Weight Loss Good Luck.

One thing I would tell you is that I had to stop thinking of this as a diet and the book really helped me to incorporate this into all aspects of my life.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    thank you. yes u gotta cut out all grains. problem is "whole grains" its actually high in the GI which breaks down into sugar other than it being bad for inflammation too. and u dont need that. problem with nuts its highly calorie dense so u have to be careful with that. fruit is high in carbs one apple will give u roughly 18g. i would track ur food intake for awhile with fitday.com. just so u can see what ur consuming everyday. once u get passed the sugar craze it will get easier trust me. how much do u weigh if u dont mind me asking and how much are u trying to lose.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    p.s. go with what Pebbles says, it is successful.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member
    I started out with 100+ lbs to lose, I've lost 60 lbs. Right now pretty low carb is working for me. I've been listening to my body, it is happier low carb. I notice when I eat too many veg it causes cravings. I do a wee bit of carb cycling. I recommend listening to what healthy choice sounds good to you and ignore unhealthy cravings. I eat potatoes and coconut milk ice cream as indulgences and I'm still losing. AND I don't feel deprived. I would feel that way if I didn't have potatoes and chocolate.
    It takes a while to figure out what's gonna work for you, everybody's different. Try different combos and see what you feel best at

example
    day one
    Sausage or bacon and eggs
    steak and creamed spinach

day two
    hard boiled eggs and pepperoni sticks
    taco salad and roasted potatoes
    homemade chili

day three
    kombucha and beef jerky
    salad from work with ranch and chicken strips
    leftovers (chicken francese or roast beef, green beans with cream and butter)
    1/4 - 1/2 cup coconut milk ice cream
    Last edited by NurseMama5; 10-27-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

Quote Originally Posted by goin2befit View Post
    I have read from time to time about carb cycling... is that what my body wants...

I just need someone to tell me it will be okay, just track what I eat and try it!
    My advice has nothing to do with primal living and it actually goes against it but you could achieve a weight loss success with carb cycling under one very important condition: regular strength training. Before I went primal, I was on a so called targeted keto diet. I ate low-carb throughout the day but before the gym I consumed up to 40 g of carbs and up to 40 g right after. So roughly 3 times a week I added 80 g of carbs to my daily 30 g allowance.

I was in constant ketosis no matter what time of the day and if I had carbs or not. But it was only possible because of strict gym regimen. I wasn't overweight to begin with but I still lost most of the "stubborn" fat this way dropping from 190 to 170 in about 3 months, while maintaining strength.

There's also another method called cyclic keto diet, in which one consumes low-carb between Sunday morning to Friday morning, and then refeeds on carbs most of Friday and Saturday. In this case strict and regular strength training is necessary to benefit from it.

I've seen many examples of both of those approaches working wonders but only for those who worked out on regular basis, and worked out very hard. It all comes down to depleting the glucose stores by regular physical activity.
    Primal Matrix - primal/paleo news feeds aggregator
    LowCarbFlix - carb free videos

Fury is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by goin2befit View Post
    How many carbs do you eat a day? Do they come from veggies, fruits, yogurt, cheese, starchy veggies, etc?

I know I read the weight loss range of carbs is 50-100, but is that even for people who have 200 pounds to lose?

IMO shooting for 50g (or any specific figure in grams really) makes way less sense for those with hundreds of pounds to lose than it does for less obese people & those merely overweight

Anyone with +150lbs of excess bodyfat has significantly higher maitanince caloric requirements than someone with under 100 to lose, as such they've got far more room to work with when determining food intake. Shooting for 50g net carbs would leave me getting under 8% calories from carbs. Even a cheat with 2 bowls of cereal/milk would likely still leave you under 12% calories from carb for the day, it doesn't surprise me that your still dropping weight.

IMO your body IS screaming "gimme more carbs", but you'd be best answering the call with plenty of vegetables & mebbe some fruit rather than cheats. Try ~100g of carbs from veggies for awhile, see how it affects your fat loss?
    Last edited by Fury; 10-27-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast