Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Paleo-Diet: Not the Way to a Healthy Future?? NPR blog page 6

Shop Now
    Fascinating reading. Being still a newbie, I knew I could count on you all to shed light on all aspects of the issues. For example, I knew nothing about Joel Saladin or Wes Jackson, so a particular thanks to VeloCity.

Coincidentally, NPR had another piece about diet on their website today. I will be launching another thread to discuss it.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Paleo/primal isn't sustainable? The way we CURRENTLY feed the world isn't sustainable. It's dependent on oil to artificially increase yields from the soil in huge mono-crop farming scenarios. Due to the lack of crop and livestock rotation, the soil is left barren...without more oil-based fertilizers it can't grow anything.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

catbreu is offline Senior Member
    Here is my rebuttal: how on earth does the current methods of agricultural production equate to being more sustainable than paleo? There are many, many costs to consider: energy expended in corn production, transportation....not to mention the energy used up in manufacturing the corn and potatoes that turn into junk food (over half of potatoes consumed in America are NOT consumed fresh...scary!).

Oh, and let us look at how our exported excess corn and rice supply completely drive down prices in poorer countries when they flood the marketplace. Farmers are not able to make a living and so resort to unsustainable agricultural methods that are less expensive to invest in than more efficient ones.

I am far from a liberal. Infact, I am quite conservative in my politics but this woman's assertion is ridiculous.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    You're all missing the point here...

When the zombie apocalypse happens the planet will naturally convert to a primal WOE...with an extra emphasis on organ meats.

I have a checkered past, SlimIcy, so I regretfully admit having dallied with survivalist notions toward the end of the 70s (surprise, surprise, there was a nutso boyfriend involved). Same scenario as today: the world is on the verge of economic/environmental collapse, so how are you going to survive the coming apocalypse. Back then, Survivalists tended to think (maybe they still do -- I have no idea if they are still out there) that the way to survive involved having a bunker off in some remote area equipped with machine guns, hunting rifles and shotguns (along with reloading equipment and supplies), a few barrels of silver coins and a stock of gold Krugerands, and a goodly supply of water, water filters and dried and/or canned foods.

So, 30-some years later, I still have memories of that mentality and I don't think the world has gotten a whole lot wiser or more sustainable (rather the reverse). But I am a granola-head (now grain-free) left winger, so the whole machine-gun-turret, defend-me-and-mine-against-the-marauding-hordes approach never appealed to me in the least. And I have seen that the System (first world capitalist economy), screwed up as it always seems to be, always seems to find a way to limp along in the long run (although those who are really hurting right now might argue the definition of "limping along").

But, I have to say that one of the appealing aspects of going Primal is becoming dependent on more local sources of sustenance. I have long planned to go back to growing my own veggies, so next spring is it: gardens, gardens everywhere. I already compost all refuse from the kitchen and yard, so I am halfway there. I am hunting up new sources of locally produced meat (we have done this in the past, but lost our suppliers). And I am very curious about joining the wild-food hunting classes that a local organization puts together a couple of times a year (being old enough to have owned Euell Gibbons' books and the Foxfire collection).

I don't really believe that the apocalypse is coming, but just in case...

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Everyone here is forgetting that we'll never reach a massive worldwide famine. A plague brought on by close living quarters and overtaxed immune systems (grains make me more likely to get sick) will kill off three quarters of the human race first.
    Really, the most likely to survive group of people is going to be us because we're healthier.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Oh and I hope civilization collapses. That way I can do what my nature dictates and kill people who touch my food. My brother has already learned that any time he eats my bacon it tastes like clenched fist.
    Last edited by Alex Good; 10-28-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    There's no point in having a sustainable food supply when it inevitably leads to chronic illness both in the short term and down the line for the majority. I'm oversimplifying when I say this, but it'd be much better to have, say, 1 billion people thriving off a Primal way of eating and maximising their quality of life as opposed to 7 billion with a significantly large percentage of people who suffer from the deleterious effects of consuming grains and artificial foods / complete starvation across the world. Politics plays a fundamentally massive role here which can't possibly be ignored, but we are overpopulated no matter how you look at it. If everybody somehow made a global vow to only have 1 child per couple, I wonder how that would work out (I haven't researched into this at all, just pondering on idle thoughts..)

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welcometogoodburger View Post
    I think sustainability freaks are just as much "blind fanatics" as we are, except they're worse because they're self-righteous. The assumption that we believe 7 billion people can eat and live like this is flat-out insulting.

Does anyone know of a Paleo guru who claims the diet is sustainable? I know Mark doesn't.
    I don't know about the global scale, but I'm definitely a "sustainability freak" and I'm perfectly happy with the sustainability of homestead-style farming and primal-style eating. I think a lot of modern homesteaders would be surprised at the notion that it's either self-righteous or unsustainable to eat grain-free and be low-impact.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456