Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo-Diet: Not the Way to a Healthy Future?? NPR blog page 3

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    There aren't any diets that are sustainable at the present time. Veganism certainly isn't, what with how large scale mon-crop agriculture destroys entire ecosystems.

And neither is paleo.

It's simply a matter of too many people on this earth.

We're a large-bodied creature, what other animal of our size boasts a population of 7 billion? All others are a million or less.

Though I'm not sure that many of us would be willing for drastic measures to be put in place to decrease our population back down to an ideal number.

Satch12879 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I agree with iniQuity. There are too many people, period. I feel like Agent Smith from "The Matrix", but seriously, enough is enough. This world can only support so many people.
    How many people are enough in your enlightened opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    And no, I don't plan on ever having any kids.
    I feel bad for you.

Anti-human nonsense all of it.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Isaac Asimov populated solaria with 10,000 people and 1 million robots

sounds about right.

We are facing a global problem and depeding on the math one of two things will happen, society will crumble under its own weight and mass murders will take care of the population, or nature will reach a breaking point and a famine the likes of which "god himself has never seen" will wipe out 9/10 of everyone now living.

say what you will, it has happned before and it will happen again.

Humans are the smartest idiots around
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Am I the only one who truly does not care one iota if there is enough grass-fed beef to go around to feed everyone in China? Is that really an excuse for Westerners not going Paleo in the first place? I'm a flaming liberal, but this sort of thing makes me roll my eyes. I care about my own health and keeping my grandma's leg from having to be amputated as a result of her diabetes. I've got to save myself and the people I actually know and care about before I can save China.
    i agree, i couldnt care less about the chinese. they have been around much longer then pretty much anyone else, i think they can take care of themselves
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post

I feel bad for you.

Please don't feel bad for me. I'm happy as I am. I don't need a child to make me feel good about myself.

And honestly, I don't know how many people are "enough". I haven't looked deeply enough at the issue. Certainly not more than the Earth can sustainably support in optimal fashion. Which is certainly way lower than the current population.

I realize that this is a very complex issue and I don't have all the answers. But it's fun to debate!

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    oh and the people that dont think paleo is sustainable, what exactly do you think is going to happen when the current society fails? when there are no more factories churning out processed foods for the masses? farms and agriculture surely wont be able to feed 7 billion people, youll see a return to the hunter gatherer type of system where only the strong survive. the question is when all this will happen. my guess is within the next 100 years judging by the way things are going currently
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I will speak for myself, not yodiewan, but I think somewhere around a 500 million to a billion people would be plenty, and I am sure that many could be sustainably fed off naturally-raised animal and plant products. Having one-seventh the current population would still ensure that there were plenty of people around to continue technological and social progress without having to destroy every ecosystem on the planet to enjoy a high standard of living.

I feel bad for you.

Bullshit. Wanting humans to go on reproducing and living like we have been, as though that has no repercussions, is the real anti-human (and anti-planet) nonsense. The world 100 years from now will barely be fit to live in, FOR HUMANS, if we go on the way we have been for the past 150. It's already marginal in most places. We used to have lots of space; abundant wilderness, teeming with robust populations of game and fish; clean water; clean air; and dark, star-filled night skies. Now the world is full of people almost everywhere you go, and what space we aren't using directly for habitation we are depleting of water, biomass, and biodiversity, and replacing those essential components of a healthy planet with industrial byproducts, dust bowls, and terawatts of never-ending light that keeps most of us from ever even seeing the stars.

I am not anti-human. I want humans to go on living free, happy lives on this beautiful planet forever (or at least until the sun expands and boils the oceans in a billion years or so). That will probably not happen if we don't get our shit mostly right this century, and reduce our population within the millennium. It is not anti-human to understand that there is a carrying capacity for people the same as every other species, and we've overshot it. Big time.

And for the record, I advocate a slow reduction over several centuries, accomplished my having fewer children. I am not in favor of any measure that involves killing any already-living people, or sterilizing anybody, or anything that otherwise harms people. I don't know how to best accomplish that, but it needs to happen. But just doing the math, if we could accomplish a worldwide replacement rate of 1.6 children per couple reaching reproductive age, we would be below 1 billion people in about 500 years. That's not impossible.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Wilt, I've been thinking about sustainability issues since the 70s, so of course my concern is for the entire ecosphere. When I talk about the planet being habitable by humans, that assumes that the we haven't messed it up too much for other species.

Currently, much of our corn production is going into our cars' tanks, not anybody's belly. We are cutting down forests to make advertising circulars and junk mail. We are strip-mining oil sands and coal so people can take cheaper long-distance vacations and make more useless business trips. We are misusing the world's resources in ways that are far from sustainable on so many levels it makes your head spin. And, yes, I insist that these problems are essentially ones of policy and politics .
    We elect people who tell us what we want to hear and we call those who actually sound the alarm "extremist." The problem is policy and politics which, in my mind, means the problem is voters.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    @Uncephalized: *high-five*

PrimalCon New York
    Fewer people might relieve some of the daily traffic bog I encounter.

That would be sorta nice.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast