Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo-Diet: Not the Way to a Healthy Future?? NPR blog page 2

Good point, Yvonne.

It may be easier to defend vegan or vegetarian choices as being "good for the planet", but if those choices are not "good for the body", I fail to see their virtue.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I like the end part where she says that genes aren't in control. Bloody hell they aren't in control. We're like machines running around doing things and thinking that we're autonomous beings. We're really just vessels for our DNA that either gets passed on or fails based on how well we are suited to all aspects of the environment that we live in.

I am one of those "sustainability freaks", Burger. One of those weirdos who indeed want the planet to be habitable by some human beings for another few millennia or so, just not necessarily by so many of them.

I am also one of the original ZPGers (Zero Population Growth, for you youngsters), from back when there were only 4 to 5 billion souls on the planet. I also chose not to have kids, and our extended family is currently in replacement deficit (less than two children per adult couple). Because I don't really like the idea of mass starvations (climate or biological problems) or mass murders (policy problems).
    Last edited by Northern Light; 10-27-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Daemon, I wonder whether she thinks that genetic birth defects are "not in control". Or that carrying the various BRCA breast cancer risk genes does not put a woman at greater risk. Mind over matter! Society trumps biology! Yeah, yeah. I read Margaret Mead, too, Ms. King. But she was not talking about nutrition and physiology.

If those "bad" genes can so dramatically affect peoples' health, why on earth would anyone think that our "normal" genes are not running the show (or trying desperately to do so)?

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only one who truly does not care one iota if there is enough grass-fed beef to go around to feed everyone in China? Is that really an excuse for Westerners not going Paleo in the first place? I'm a flaming liberal, but this sort of thing makes me roll my eyes. I care about my own health and keeping my grandma's leg from having to be amputated as a result of her diabetes. I've got to save myself and the people I actually know and care about before I can save China.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Rather Darwinian thinking, iniQuity.

I think that the problem is one of distribution, not production. That is, policy and politics are the problem, not biology.
    Consider this though. We are not the only species on this planet. We don't necessarily deserve to live in every single nook and cranny on Earth. I think the biology is more complicated that you make it out to be. What will our continued expansion due to wild life, and what will that do in affecting the entire ecosystem? How will that changed ecosystem then affect whatever agricultural methods we have in place? How will our agricultural methods affect the ecosystem? These are all questions that somewhat go back and forth, but they show clearly that the Earth is not designed for anything at all. We adapted to it/We adapted it to us a long time ago, but modern science still is unable to determine the true answers here. Either that, or the true answer isn't pretty so there's nothing to really talk about.

I'm not trying to be Chicken Little. All I'm doing is trying a little scientific logic.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I'm all for the population decreasing. I think the argument certainly holds water when you consider the population boom due to agriculture. All these people are about to make the planet go out of orbit if they keep fattening up and reproducing like its their right or something. No more than two kids per household if that, and ration the food, mass suicides are encouraged as well.
    Needs to start in Africa & Asia first
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Am I the only one who truly does not care one iota if there is enough grass-fed beef to go around to feed everyone in China? Is that really an excuse for Westerners not going Paleo in the first place? I'm a flaming liberal, but this sort of thing makes me roll my eyes. I care about my own health and keeping my grandma's leg from having to be amputated as a result of her diabetes. I've got to save myself and the people I actually know and care about before I can save China.
    Ok, so we all think primal eating is great right? What if more and more of the population started eating this way. Forget about China. If there is more and more demand for grassfed beef, etc, that will raise the prices significantly. The only way to make grassfed beef available for the average person without farming it himself is to be able to produce enough for most people.

It's long distance thinking, but shit...our political system is pretty messed up right now. We need to be thinking about our future.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    That statement just seemed so out of place for an anthropologist. She also said that genes didn't design our language. Really? This is an extreme example but ever try having a conversation with a chimpanzee? They can't make the same sounds we do and even if they could their brains aren't set up the same way that ours are. Think that might have some something to do with, I don't know, say genes? Perish the thought.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wilt, I've been thinking about sustainability issues since the 70s, so of course my concern is for the entire ecosphere. When I talk about the planet being habitable by humans, that assumes that the we haven't messed it up too much for other species.

Currently, much of our corn production is going into our cars' tanks, not anybody's belly. We are cutting down forests to make advertising circulars and junk mail. We are strip-mining oil sands and coal so people can take cheaper long-distance vacations and make more useless business trips. We are misusing the world's resources in ways that are far from sustainable on so many levels it makes your head spin. And, yes, I insist that these problems are essentially ones of policy and politics .

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast