Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: at my witts end page

kariev34 Guest

Shop Now

forgive me for this vent. i have yet to start PB and for the past 2-3 weeks i have been binging on carbs/sugar and i keep seem to get a grip. i feel sooooo terrible about myself and i'm watching the scale start to climb. I then proceed to overexercise to try and compensate for my eating which just keeps me exhausted and starts the cycle all over again. I've never officially done any type of eating like this and i'm afraid i'm going to fail. I keep reading too about how low carb isn't good b/c your body forgets how to process carbs without them but at this rate i can't go on like this. i feel like any type of carb anymore triggers me to wanting more. I feel like such a failure and i'm so sick of this cycle Please give me some words of wisdom. Just now i ate 4 huge bowls of raisen bran cereal, 1 large bagel with PB. I feel like the whole day is ruined. I'm so sick about thinking about food all the time and its mostly b/c i'm frikin hungry all the time. I try to stick with 1500 cals a day but like i said, i'm finding oatmeal, fruit, and other carbs in my diet are making me hungrier. HELP

maba is offline Senior Member

I transitioned slowly into PB, by slowly eliminating grains, it took me some time while many others here in the forum went cold turkey from day one. If eating even small amount of carbs triggers cravings in you, then you might want to try going cold turkey. You need a lot of prep work before you do so - eliminate all junk and non-primal foods from your home and make sure you're well-stocked with primal foods and snacks. So whenever hunger pangs hit you, you have access to healthy foods. You'll get the low-carb-flu, symptoms of carbs withdrawal initially but if you just keep at it, you'll be fine in no time. Good luck.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

We've all been there before. Make sure to read the book/forums/blog topic and glean as much info as you can from it. Knowledge is power and having that knowledge will go a long ways in terms of helping you understand the cycle you are currently experiencing. Before we started PB, my wife was skeptical as well, and now she's 40 pounds lighter and looks pretty darn fantastic!

First, you can't out-exercise a bad diet! So cut out the 'trying to make up for it' exercise. This cycle is wasted energy IMO. Body composition is pretty much ruled by diet.

Second, you are constantly spiking your insulin with all the carbs you are injesting. So after your 'carb high' is over, your body is saying 'Gimmie more of that!!!'. Instead of reaching for the carbs to try and satisfy your hunger, reach for the fat. A handful of nuts, some bacon, a chunk of cheese, full fat yogurt (if you can handle diary) can go a long way in terms of being satisfied.

Third, don't be afraid of good carbs! Following PB, you could range anywhere from zero to 150grams of carbs. If you're eating tons of veg, you'll have a really hard time meeting that. Fruit in moderation due to the sugar content.

Fourth, don't view the day as 'ruined' because of one slip up. The author of The Zone (Barry Sears) says something about slip-ups. "You are only one meal away from being in the zone"...same applies to PB. Next meal, just get a good amount of fat/protein/carbs and you should be set. Easier said than done, I know...but learn to separate emotions from eating.

And as maba stated, some people find it easier to phase one thing out or in at a time. Keep your goals simple and realistic so you can reach them. Some people do cold turkey. Find whatever works for you and make a plan.

I grok, therefore I am.

Asturian is offline Senior Member

I went cold turkey. Felt like crap for a little over a week wirh fatigue, headaches, shakes, muscle aches, and some nausea. Then gradually all went away and I felt normal again. So about 10 or 11 days total for me. Forgot to add that I started my cold turkey with a 2-day fast. That helped to remind me what hunger really was so that when I started eating sans carbs, hunger was less of an issue for me.

So although everyone may respond differently, it does take some time for the body to adapt from carb fueled to fat fueled. I found that the physical sickness part was actually easiest.

The hard part is the mental part. You will soon realize that the more you avoid carbs, the more you notice that they are everywhere. Everywhere you turn there are carbs and more carbs to sabotage your progress. I had to psych myself into viewing them all as complete poison and that helped. Now I'm not so fearful of them and have complete control. Sure, a couple of things still tempt me like pizza and rice and beans (can you say Mexican Food?). But I have not fallen off the wagon for the past year and I persevere because I have experienced the benefits of eliminating carbs. Now I am able to leverage that experience against temptations. So it does get easier.

Best of luck and not give up.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

emmie is online now Senior Member

You've received very good advice from the other posters, but, remember, you're not "eliminating" carbs. You're just eliminating the bad ones. Veggies are carbs, and those are the only ones I eat.

In addition, ignore all those myths about the 'dangers' of eliminating carbs. There are none. Sugar, starch, grains are UNHEALTHY, and eliminating them is the best thing you can do for yourself.

The body cannot 'forget' how to process carbs!! Bodily systems don't work that way.

Since you tend to be like me--someone for whom starch and sugar stimulate hunger--your body will thank you for eating low carb. This is the healthiest way of eating for you. (I know this because I couple of years ago, I, too, could devour bowls and bowls of raisin bran with milk and still be hungry, but I've never been healthier or happier than since I've adopted primal eating.)

Asturian is offline Senior Member

That is correct. I meant eliminating sugars and high starch content carbs like grains, legumes, and potatos. Veggies are good and I did and do eat those.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Bronx is offline Junior Member

Stay positive.

YOu can do this.

I was never a big fan of breads to begin with. I am only a week or so in and already feel the improvements.

I dropped bread cold turkey as well as pasta and being Italian.

After 30 days I am going to slowly introduce certain foods into my diet but in the ends if it means:

breads/grains = feel crappy

no to min. breads/grains = feels AWESOME

The obvious choice is where Im going.

This past weekend we had a big get together and I had organic chicken burgers on four slices of Romaine lettuce with no bread and everyone just looked at me but then they started asking me about it etc...Tasted amazing. I did not get that full/bloated feeling.

You can do this.

BEST OF LUCK!!!!

kariev34 Guest

thanks guys. i'm in a total sugar coma right now. i have been reading the forums for the past hour. i'm so sick of the insulin ups/downs i have even on a so called healthy diet. it seems like i'm always hungry and thinking about food which takes away from me enjoying anything i do. i'm going to go cold turkey as just the little healthy carbs i've been having has triggered me. i plan on shopping later and clearing my house of trigger food. what should i do to feel better? should i get a workout in today? if so what type? mabe i should just focus on my diet for this week and not stress so much about my workouts as i'm trying to break all of these habits anyway. Carbs seems to really mess me up emotionally (starches in particular) i've been battling some depression lately to and i do believe that diet can treat these types of conditions as much as medication which i don't want to take. also, i have insomnia. mabe primal eating is what i need. i'm already over my caloric alotment for the day which is discouraging as i know i can't not eat for the rest of the day. i can't believe i binged again.

Bronx is offline Junior Member

It is amazing what some new eating habits can do for your mood and overall sense of well being.

If you're going to feel it in less than a week.

Fix your eating first and then let the workouts fall into place.

You don't want to have to worry about to many things at once.

For me, the workouts were never a problem it was always the eating.

Look, don't kill yourself, guilt yourself over this. Nothing is impossible. Stay positive and you can do this. Start fresh and tell yourself that.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

I really think being able to eat like this is a learned process. The more you do it, the more you'll know how to react to what you feel. Seeing what happens after a sugar binge is just part of the experience, IMHO. Personally, I have trouble avoiding something unless I KNOW why I should. Restless nights, stomachaches, low energy are all proof to me that eating primally is best. Don't get discouraged! Set a goal and do whatever it takes to get there: 1 week, 2 weeks, 30 days, etc.

By the way, I had the worst insomnia last year. It was cured in a week of following the primal blueprint. It also cured my crippling anxiety. And PMS. Ok, it helped me with almost everything except negotiating with my 4 year old.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast