Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: at my witts end page 2

jenna Guest

Dont give up!!!!!! it probably seems a little like you are all alone and no one else feels this way but trust me most of us have felt this way at one time or another. Just started the PB a week and a half ago and while it is hard I find a reason each day to stick to it. We did clean all the carbs except for veggies out of our house and donated them to the local food bank. Wow it was amazing how much stuff there was. Please know that you are not alone this is my first post but most of what I read here is encouraging and very helpful.

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

Karie, you can definitely do this.

Start with the diet. If you so feel like doing any moderate exercise, like walking, go for it. But don't plan it. When I first started reading the PB, I actually felt inspired to go for a walk, even though I was still concentrating on the diet part.

Good on you for starting today by cleaning house (pantry in this case). Make sure you get lots of veggies and fats, because when you find the right mixture, it's going to give you the most energy you've ever had.

Brit is offline Junior Member

I went cold-turkey. It was a "tease" to go slowly for me. The day I started I also started "fitday.com" and ransacked the pantry (my wife was pi**ed!) I got rid of all the crap, went to the store and bought a bunch of greens, meats, oils, nuts and some fresh berries.

I did have the "carb-flu" for a week, but then it went away and I feel AWESOME! In terms of carbs now, I'm completely satisfied with a bananna or a handfull of berries...it's like a treat! Or an ounce or so of some dark chocolate.

Also, if tapering is hard, try "cold-turkey". Try for a week. If you have cravings, have a little fruit but don't let yourself 20% until the end of the week.

kariev34 Guest

thanks guys! so i went to the store and stocked up on veggies, proteins, healthy fats and some fresh berries. i ended up doing a circuit workout and now my mind feels a bit clearer. I had to burn up some of that glucose i consumed LOL. I plan on having a nice salad for dinner with some grilled chicken and some healthy fats. I'm going to try and keep my carbs to 100g or less. I don't think i'm going to start off trying for 50g and i've done 150g before and didn't get any weight loss. i'll keep you posted. do you guys find that you don't need to eat so frequently on this diet? i hate having to lug food around with me all the time b/c i wind up hungry an hour after i've eated an decent carb/protein meal. I'm hoping the protein/fat/veggie will make the difference. i'm so sick of food obsession.

Brit is offline Junior Member

kariev34-

Remember, carbs @ 100-150g/daily is "maintenance range", meaning no weight gain, but NO weight loss.

Less than 50g is ketosis and "accelerated fat burning"

50-100g is "effortless weight loss".

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

If you stick with less than 100g, you'll begin to see a difference in a week or two, with good exercise! once you're "in the groove", try less than 50g for a couple days to see how you like it!

If you find yourself hungry, drink some water and have a small handfull of almonds...it'll curb you for a while!

Best of luck!!!

London Mike is offline Junior Member

I went cold turkey too. I mean ice-cold turkey...

Hereís what I did. It may work for you. It may not. But itís good to have lots of options to consider.

I started eating primal around August last year. The slowly-slowly approach I decided to use turned into a half-arsed effort because every time I ate any carbs I went on a binge. This went on for a couple of months.

I then remembered the time I did Atkins around 6 years ago (and lost around 25 pounds if I remember right) and the key helper for me was the zero carb two week induction phase. So I did this again. I didnít care if what I ate was primal or not as long as it had zero carbs. I also didnít care about how much I ate, again as long as it had zero carbs. I just wanted to break the carb cravings. That was my goal and I was single minded about it. I didnít stray once for two weeks. And it worked! Iím 100% primal most days since coming out of the induction phase, and even on the days Iím not itís still around 90%.

For some the idea of zero carbs for two weeks is a bit too hardcore, too painful. But actually it isnít, itís quite easy. I made BIG meals and ate everything so I was full most of the time. If I ever felt hungry when I was out I would go into a store, petrol station or whatever was near by and buy a packet ham, salami, turkey breast, pork, pre-cooked chicken, proper cheese, anything, as long as it had no carbs and filled my belly. Iíd wash it down with a bottle of water too.

I ate soooo much during the induction phase but not only did I break my carb addiction, not only did I make my body switch to using fat as its preferred fuel, I also lost a pound! Haha!

Apologies for the long post and I know many seasoned and better educated PBíers may shoot me down for my approach, but I remember feeling so shit about myself, trying to go primal and falling down every couple of days. I remember eating whole boxes of cereal in a day. Filling up the car with fuel and driving away with a large latte and a big bag of donuts. And then feeling even worse about myself.

Feel free to try a different, easier approach. If it works for you then great and welcome aboard. If not then please consider my approach. It worked for me and has changed my life for ever. I canít begin to explain the feeling of freedom when youíre in control of your eating.

Good luck and Iím sure youíll find a way through.

Acmebike is offline Member

London Mike, I'd second that idea. Go zero carb day to day. Only water to drink, and as much steak, eggs, bacon, butter, lamb, fish, crab, lobster, fowl a person can stand. Eat all you want, feel like a snack, do it, reach for the bacon. Two weeks of this and you are a fat burner and ready to rock. Give it a shot!

Avoid the little "acceptable" things like nuts and cheese. While fine for Primal eating, they are very calorie dense and easy easy easy to over do it on. Down a big bag of pistachios and you could be in the hole 30g of carbs without even noticing it. But instead, eat a bunch of bacon or fish, for zero carbs.

You can do it!

MikeGP Guest

Why dont you Fast for the next 24 hours? That will reset your body, control your insulin and get rid of the cravings, then you can resume eating primal.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Hi KarieV - glad to hear you're sick of food obsession. That alone helped me tons! Simple things like keeping non-primal foods out of the house, helped, too. I also took chromium nicotinate to help take the edge off carb cravings. That was a big help, too. Good luck & stick with that attitude!

Katt is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Dr. Harris posted a great list to ease someone into better food choices. It's a heirarchy of things to cut out.

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

Cold turkey can be rough, but sometimes worth the trouble. It's up to you to decide what is the best way to go. Knowing you have a problem is a good start to taking charge of your life.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast