Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplements for primals page

Bern is offline Member

Supplements for primals

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

Just wondering, what supplements do you take and why? My husband always questions why I feel the need to supplement when I already have a good diet but I always think there's room for optimization..

I take:

Vitamin D - 5000 units/day - because as much as I try and sun myself I still work 8 hours a day 5 days a week inside a hospital and would rather be overdoing it than underdoing it!
    (will get levels checked soon)

R-lipoic acid, 100mg daily - for it's antioxidant effect. I used to take vitamin c and e but this is meant to help with the absorbtion/utilization of these

Fish Oil - 3g daily - to get more omega 3's!

Inosital - 3.5 g daily - new one I've just started taking. I have mild anxiety and depression and am recovering from a binge eating disorder, inosital is meant to help with this as well as numerous other things like improved blood flow, improved cholesterol profile, cancer and Alzheimers prevention. 2 friends of mine swear it helps with cravings for sweet things too

Magnesium citrate powder - 1 heaped teaspoon at night - also for anxiety/depression and to help me sleep.

Very interested to know what other primals supplement with and if you feel the need to supplement at all..

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I take 4000 IU of Vit D a day - I hate the sun, even though I know it's superior to supplementation.

I also take a prenatal vitamin b/c I'm pregnant. When I wasn't pregnant I took half a dose of the pre-natal most days...my nutrition is pretty good but I feel like this helps cover my bases for times when I go off the rails a bit.

Take Natural Calm most nights b/c it really does help me sleep. Before I got pregnant I just did the magnesium...now I take the mag/calc combo on the recommendation of my midwife. It has helped with my restless legs quite a bit.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    kennelmom, have you found that Natural Calm helps more than plain magnesium with sleep? I've been taking plain magnesium citrate for a few months and haven't really notied any difference.

I take 4000 IU of Vitamin D on days when I don't get much sun and magnesium citrate (1 TBSP) every night pretty much.

I stopped taking fish oil and started just eating more fish and eating a lot less nuts. Chris Kresser has a good series of posts on omega 3/6 and why fish is superior to fish oil.

I took creatine for a few weeks but didn't notice much from it, so I stopped.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I've only ever taken Natural Calm...started with just their magnesium citrate drink, which I believe is just magnesium citrate. I moved to the Natural Calm magnesium/calcium combo after getting pregnant. I've been really happy with the results of adding Natural Calm in the rotation...I quit taking it when I first found out I was pregnant b/c I wasn't sure if it was safe and my sleep took a big hit. I was SO happy once the midwife said I could add it back in!
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Consider vit A if you're not into organ meats. Also consider zinc. Adding these two seemed to improve my skin too, but not sure which did it.

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMarvelousMoment View Post
    Consider vit A if you're not into organ meats. Also consider zinc. Adding these two seemed to improve my skin too, but not sure which did it.
    ZMA would be a good combo supplement.
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by raptoryell View Post
    ZMA would be a good combo supplement.
    I find it cheaper to go for bulk mag. citrate powder and separate zinc tabs. Also the A doesn't stand for vit A, ya know?

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Liquid Multivitamin / Minerals - its the standard to cover your bases
    Liquid Probiotic - healthy gut
    Vitamin C powder form - keeps my immunity high. I cant remember when the last time I had a cold was
    Brain Prep - combo of herbs that keep me focused
    Saw Palmetto - protecting myself from all those man-cancers
    Omega 3 - I dont eat enough fish
    Tribulus - helps with testosterone
    Vitamin D3 - I sit in an office all day

I'll also take Glutamine and BCAAs just cause I train a lot.

I usually also take ZMA at night. It helps me sleep and recover.
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

SUEVILLE is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    kennelmom, have you found that Natural Calm helps more than plain magnesium with sleep? I've been taking plain magnesium citrate for a few months and haven't really notied any difference.

I take 4000 IU of Vitamin D on days when I don't get much sun and magnesium citrate (1 TBSP) every night pretty much.

I stopped taking fish oil and started just eating more fish and eating a lot less nuts. Chris Kresser has a good series of posts on omega 3/6 and why fish is superior to fish oil.

I took creatine for a few weeks but didn't notice much from it, so I stopped.
    Mag Malate is better for sleep than other forms of magnesium.

hockeyfan7 is offline Senior Member
    Fish Oil

Vitamin C

Vitamin D - mine is really low

Cinnamon/chromium/biotin to help regulate blood sugar

L-Trytophan -- replaced my daily dose of Lexapro with this instead

Glucosamine/Chrondritan/MSM -- I have osteoarthritis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast