Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Husband and wife hope to overcome joint pain and infertility page

cathb is offline Junior Member

Husband and wife hope to overcome joint pain and infertility

Primal Fuel
    My husband and I started primal yesterday. We've tried a couple of times before, but did not last past a few weeks. We did, however, see results. I'm a little conflicted on the research--I've been reading the Blue Zones book and diets are very different from this. We would both like to lose weight, but more importantly have health issues to conquer. Now 35, I've been trying to get pregnant for almost 2.5 years. (Apparently nothing is wrong with either of us.) I've read some promising stories and am keeping my fingers crossed. At 37, my husband's joints are really hurting him now and has a rheumatologist appt. next month. Preliminary blood tests over the summer showed nothing wrong.
    As a biology teacher, I find the science behind this lifestyle very interesting. Right now I'm teaching biochemistry and had my kids compare a recent article showing how a study on rats showed diets high in protein (compared to typical American diet) showed a decreased risk for breast cancer. Another article on the same page showed our government's new "food plate" recomended diet. There is certainly a discrepency!
    I'd like to hear encouraging stories from people who have overcome infertility or joint problems by following this diet and way of life!
    Thanks,
    Cathy

Pa-RN is offline Member
    I am new to this too..But I wish you luck.This is my 2nd attempt at primal life.I tried it last December, and get derailed by the holidays.I will say that while on it I never felt better and had wonderful results.I am now day 11 and down 7lbs and feel phenomenal.I am sleeping better with no meds( was ambien dependent),more energy, my skin is clearing up ( gotta love adult acne).I wish I would have done this years ago.I only had one child since I had so many health issues getting pregnant and then a rough pregnancy.I can't help but wonder what would have happened had I HAD this info then.I am still on nexium for my reflux, and hoping in the months to come that I can stop.I already stopped taking cholesterol meds with my Drs blessing to try primal life.

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your early successes. We've tried primal a couple of times before and been successful, but only for a short time. We have to figure out why. Let's keep in touch--I'm in PA, too

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! If standard primal eating doesn't help with your joint problems you may want to add a lectin elimination trial on to your primal diet to see if a particular group of foods is causing you trouble. I had amazing results doing this for arthritis and so have several others on this forum.

THE LECTIN STORY

Cubbieblue is offline Junior Member
    Why are his joints so bad at 37? High impact sports? Has he ever taken quinolone antibiotics?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cathb View Post
    I'd like to hear encouraging stories from people who have overcome infertility or joint problems by following this diet and way of life!
    Thanks,
    Cathy
    I have bone on bone OA of left knee and moderate OA of right hand. Prior to going low carb/primal I was taking Rx anti-inflammatories (celebrex) and Rx pain meds. After a few weeks of no grains my pain began to subside. It is now only present if I step wrong or indulge in grains. I am off all Rx meds associated with OA.

I have also improve glucose control (diabetes run rampant in my family) lost 50+ lbs and maintained that loss for almost 2 years.

I never heard of lectins, though I've heard about insensitivities to those groups of foods. What about cashews? I thought they were a trigger bunched in that group??? I read over the link and it seems a bit complex, but certainly doable if this doesn't work.
    Chris played tennis when he was in school and lifted weights, at times very intensely. His knees have always cracked and bothered him at times, but over the past few months it's been most of his joints that hurt--even fingers and ankles. Of course you can get overwhelmed by what you find online and early tests (summer) for RA, Lyme's, and lupus came back fine. Alleve clears it up temporarily, but he doesn't want to take meds for any length of time.
    It's great to know that in a short amount of time some have seen such great results! Marcadav--congrats on losing--and sustaining--those 50 pounds!

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    cathb, if you haven't yet given up grains, do that now.

I have little or no joint pain now. It is truly amazing how fast grain-free changes the inflammation in the joints.

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    I was reading some of Dr. Kruse's works and ran across this:

Leptin resistance always pre-dates the development of osteoporosis. Leptin also controls the ability of women to get pregnant. That is called fecundity. If a women is leptin resistant she will have a lot of difficulty getting pregnant. We see this in PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), in anorexia, or over training. Having a baby requires a lot of energy for growth. Leptin is the key for that process to occur smoothly.
    Thought of you. Maybe something to investigate. There's an incredibly long (and resourceful thread here on leptin resistance/leptin reset).

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks for this info. Primal at times seems like the answer to everything and at others very claustrophobic and limiting. I'm wondering if I should ease into with allowing rice, etc. in the beginning.
    I spoke with a health/phys ed teacher today (who actually looks and acts the part) and we talked about the movie Food Inc. She said she won't shop at a supermarket for meat or eggs anymore and uses a local butcher. I told her about this website and explained the basic premise. She said she's heard about problems with gluten, but is wary to eliminate it--she's heard that sometimes after eliminating it and bringing it back causes an otherwise dormant insensitivity to surface. I'm wondering if this is what happened with my husband. His joints seemed to get noticeable worse in the spring/summer, after we had dabbled in primal a couple of times. Has anyone ever heard of this occurring? It's scary! I will be researching a bit this weekend. Thanks for all of your comments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast