Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting with dogs page

seaweed is offline Senior Member

Hunting with dogs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a dog who is a hunting dog. Or his breed is. He is still a pup. He's one of the old old breeds of what is termed versatile hunters so he can, in theory, hunt anything. I dont know much about it, but my feeling is we have been hunting with dogs forever so it is a very natural primitive activity. It combines alot of good exercise patterns such as sprinting and walking all day, getting out in the bush, load bearing carrying the quarry home and so on. Getting decent food and also valuing the effort which goes into getting your own food. One of my most favourite things is to follow him around the bush or down the beach. Or even go out with a pack of dogs. Anyone else here into hunting with dogs? if so, what do you hunt?

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I know very little about it since hunting, in my family, was sadly restricted to men. I was just wondering what breed of dog you have.

Paleobird Guest
    My dog is a mutt who grew up feral in Mexico. He hunts gophers, squirrels, seagulls, etc. He even catches them sometimes.

I got a hungarian vizsla. paleobird, what do you do with the animals he catches?

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    My three labrador retrievers are all trained for hunting - but none of them are very good at it, so we've never really used them for it. Luka is scared of dead animals, has no self confidence and thus gets insecure when she does tasks far from me.
    Laika is... not very interested. She drops the target.
    Nala was probably the best of them. My dad did bring her once or twice though, but when she was sent out to pick up a duck they'd shot, she sniffed but didn't bring it back... my dad had to go fetch himself

lol my neighbour has a lab which i am sure is somehow damaged as it is so dopey. it is only a pup and it moves so so slowly. it is a very sweet natured dog tho but nothing like mine in terms of movement. i have heard about labs being used on deer but only hearsay. no actual first hand accounts. by all accounts they make terrible pig dogs as they are too scared. much better crossed with something like a staffy. my dogs' breed are supposed to work close in with you. he definitely has a very strong retrieve instinct as he will always bring me something when i come home to show me how happy he is to see me and readily drops it when i tell him to. he's done this since we got him at 9 weeks. he doesnt stray that far in the bush either and has always come back when i have called him. he's not found anything to stalk yet other than on the beach, so that will be the next test. bissen you would be slutted if you had to wade out and get your own duck when you have a retrieving dog. does the dog swim normally? mine voluntarily gets in the water and all the lab crosses i know like to swim. especially if you throw them a stick to fetch. the other thing is do they come from show or hunting lines? my dog comes from full hunting lines. they were so rare till relatively recently they were all proper hunting dogs. once they start getting showed they dont get selected anymore for their hunting ability so it could well be hit and miss how inate it is.

fishin-frog is offline Member
    I've got a Vizsla as well (female). She's pointed pheasant, quail, and chukkar for me. She's retrieved dove for me. She loves chasing squirrels. I'm not a duck hunter, but they are also used in the water to retieve ducks. There are better pointing breeds, but they can't do the other things a vizsla can do. I haven't needed to yet, but if the need arises, I would let her try and track a deer if I can't find it myself. They are great dogs. I can't imagine ever not having at least one. She's also been good around my 2 year old daughter; very protective.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    We have Australian cattle dogs, which are herders. They have a very strong prey drive but I don't know how good they'd be at hunting. Probably with the right training. I saw something about using stumpies, which are related, for hunting pigs, which doesn't surprise me as they tend to not be afraid of much. We don't hunt so it's no point, but encourage our dogs to catch and eat what they can when we're out. The older one is a killing machine. Moles, rats, ground hogs, field mice, the occasional squirrel. The younger one has started learning from her but he isn't as good a hunter. He's still a bit dopey though. When he matures he'll likely get better. I think it's important to the dog's mental well being to exercise their natural instincts. We don't have access to livestock, otherwise I'd get them to do some actual herding, but they get daily herding ball exercise along with the long romps where they can be dogs, have plenty of freedom.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Our greyhounds do a lot of hunting on their own, if anything happens to make the mistake of coming into their yard. I'd love to have some coursing dogs to take out west to course jacks, but I'm too nervous to do it with my retired racers and no one experienced enough around here to teach me how to train them properly.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Contact the Rod and Gun Club Directory about finding a local club and then ask the local club if they know anyone that likes to train people & dogs in hunting

My father competed internationally in tracking with Beagles, it's a lot of experience that you learn in the field
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast