Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheat free tamari has soybean in it? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

wheat free tamari has soybean in it?

So anyone know where I can find wheat free tamari that doesn't have soybean in it? The primal blue print recipe book asks for wheat free tamari but all i can find is one with soybean in it. Not really primal.

thanks guys!

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Uhhh... tamari IS soy sauce. Fermented soy beans. That's just what it is. Asking for tamari without soybeans is like asking for an omelette without eggs. But fear not, the fermentation removes the stuff one needs to worry about most - the phytates and whatnot - and it's not like you can chug it, it's something you use by the teaspoon.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Yep. If you want to replace it with something, coconut aminos are pretty close.

yeah, that was a pretty dumb post I just thought it odd paleo recipes call for soy sauce, yet soy beans aren't paleo friendly. But if it is fermented and removes the bad stuff I shall continue using it. thanks guys!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    yeah, that was a pretty dumb post I just thought it odd paleo recipes call for soy sauce, yet soy beans aren't paleo friendly. But if it is fermented and removes the bad stuff I shall continue using it. thanks guys!
    Hey, this stuff is complicated. Lots to learn.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Hey, this stuff is complicated. Lots to learn.
    not so complicated if i hire a paleo chef. love the food, don't love the time it takes

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    There's a big difference between raw soy, processed soy (like tofu), soybean oil and tamari. Fermented soy actually has some health benefits that are actually useful since the toxins are removed. Plus, you don't take it in large quantities. I wouldn't drink tamari, but a tablespoon or two is just fine.

"Soy sauce" marketed in the US is actually "shoyu" and uses wheat to make the flavor milder. If you compare tamari to shoyu, there is no comparison in taste - tamari is a dark stout while shoyu is Coors Lite. After tasting tamari, I don't think I can go back to shoyu. It tastes like salt water by comparison. San-J makes a delicious organic certified non-GMO tamari. You can get it for around $6 for a huge ass bottle at Whole Foods.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    A spoonful of soy sauce isn't worth stressing over anyhow.
    Chocotaco, "Shoyu" is the base Japanese word for "soy sauce" and it comes in lots of different consistencies over there, from very thin with a pronounced fish-sauce like flavor to thick and slightly sweet. Wheat is an optional ingredient over there, too. Tamari is one type of Shoyu among others.
    And the only good soy sauce you can buy in America has no English on the bottle at all and is only available in Japanese specialty stores.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Siren is offline Senior Member
    Slightly OT, but I was trying to figure out what gave me a midnight stomach ache after eating what I call "Asian" salmon about 2 weeks ago. I marinated it in sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, fresh grated ginger, and soy sauce <---- yep, you guessed it: that's what set my bowels a-grumblin. I had NO IDEA there was wheat in American-made soy sauce until I started poking around here on MDA, so imagine my shock when I checked the ingredients- wheat was SECOND on the list!!! O_O straight down the drain it all went.

And Choco: thanks for the tip about tamari at Whole Foods. I shop there almost exclusively, and now tamari is on this weekend's list. Thank goodness for the forums; I might never have been able to enjoy an Asian dish again!
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf

hockeyfan7 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yep - when I was eating the CW way because I still had to be gluten-free the only soy sauce I used was La Choy. It's made from soybeans instead of wheat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast