Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wheat free tamari has soybean in it? page 2

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    A spoonful of soy sauce isn't worth stressing over anyhow.
    Chocotaco, "Shoyu" is the base Japanese word for "soy sauce" and it comes in lots of different consistencies over there, from very thin with a pronounced fish-sauce like flavor to thick and slightly sweet. Wheat is an optional ingredient over there, too. Tamari is one type of Shoyu among others.
    And the only good soy sauce you can buy in America has no English on the bottle at all and is only available in Japanese specialty stores.
    I'm just stating how it's marketed in the US. In the US, "tamari" usually implies water and soybeans only while "shoyu" is a blend of wheat and soybeans that is meant to be milder. There are rare exceptions. The cheap ass Kikkoman tamari still has wheat in it, though it's less wheat than their standard shoyu, which is primarily wheat with some soy. Good gluten-free brands are only water and soybeans, and San-J is a very good brand of tamari.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    I love the San J. Wish it were cheaper, though.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Milox5 is offline Junior Member
    Try Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Aminos available at Whole Foods and online. Bring a bag when you purchase as they have a problem with the seal braking with any movement(discovered this after a 2hour drive to Whole Foods for stock up). Coconut Secret customer service was awesome and sent replacement along with suggestions for future purchases. This item is 100% organic, gluten-free,dairy -free, GMO-free and of course soy free.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    last time I checked la choy was mostly hard-to-pronounce chemicals and tasted terrible. I'll stick to my more expensive gluten-free san-j. I did find some gluten-free soy sauce at an asian market once, but I haven't had the time to read every bottle in the (very long) aisle lately.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    San-J is $3.99 for the bigass 20oz bottle normal price at Whole Foods. That's no more expensive than a cheap jar of Kikkoman's, which is around $2.29 for the little bottle. That's pretty darn cheap.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ruthevans41 is offline Junior Member
    Itís true; I donít think it would be near possible to find Tamari without soya in it. I too tried finding and I am lost. If anyone does know, can someone share the link? It would be really helpful.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    San-J is $3.99 for the bigass 20oz bottle normal price at Whole Foods. That's no more expensive than a cheap jar of Kikkoman's, which is around $2.29 for the little bottle. That's pretty darn cheap.
    Damn! I don't live near a Whole Foods; I buy mine at Fred Meyer and pay $8 bottle. Obviously I need to look elsewhere.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12