Thread: Ergh, got bad cholesterol reading page

Voytechs is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Ergh, got bad cholesterol reading

Primal Fuel
    My cholesterol reading didn't come back as I expected. May be my expectations were too high in the first place, but the doctor now wants to put me on Statins

Background. I had a doctor appt monday so I did IF sat/sun but mixed up the time (thinking it was in the 3pm afternoon, actually was 9am) so I had a large latte in the AM before the appt. He wanted a cholesterol test so I had to fast 1 more day until tuesday morning. So in total I ended up fasting for 3 days. I'm not sure what impact that had, I didn't plan on doing it that way.

Anyway the cholesterol came back as:
    Total = 243
    Tri = 127
    HDL = 32
    LDL = 186

I didn't expect my triglicerites to be that high, since the latte in the morning is the only non vegetable carb I indulged myself (fairly regularly) for the last 8 months. Other then the latte, everything else is low carb, with plenty of veggies and no junk food.

I don't have any health conditions and I have been loosing weight steadily for last 8 months. Down around 60lbs now, and 47 lbs more to go to where I need to be.

I have been reading up the cholesterol articles on this site, and the ratio of HDL/LDL = .17, which isn't that good. The doctor is very negative towards paleo diets in general and this is now helping my case.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    mark...
    Last edited by Voytechs; 10-26-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Typos

Cubbieblue is offline Junior Member
    RATIOS:
    Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 7.59 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) AT RISK
    Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.172 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) AT RISK
    Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 3.906 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) NORMAL

From this neat tool:
    Cholesterol HDL/LDL/Triglycerides Ratios Calculator

How long have you been paleo?

Do you have a sample day diet you can give us?

Fish oil?

I've been on this since March 9th of this year, about 9 months.

I typically eat as follows:

AM: multi-vitamin, calcium and 5000IU vitamin D3

Breakfast: 2 slices of bacon and 1 egg, followed or sometimes preceded by a latte (whole milk + coffee, no additives or sugargs).

Lunch: meat out of the fridge - chicken/steak/pork/polish sausage (the real thing), lettuce, cucumber, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots - no specific portions, I sometimes even eat all these separately.

Dinner: I skip it a lot or eat some meat

PM: finish off with another 5000IU Vitamin D

I do not have any cravings for carbs and never reach for them. I don't count my calories. I drink plenty of water between 24-48oz per day. Occasionally I do have a fast food burger + always have a side salad with it, I try but don't always skip the bun. NO sodas, just water or coffee.

That is mostly it.

I should add, in addition to the latte, I can also drink 1 or 2 large cups of black coffee per day. I'm a big coffee drinker. I usually drink it all before 12pm and then do not drink in the afternoon. I dumped the latte yesterday (I found out that a large whole milk latte has 14.6g of sugar in it), and decided to drink just black coffee. I had 3 large (20 oz) cups today.

Also I walk 4-5 miles per day and throw in some push ups in the morning.
    Last edited by Voytechs; 10-26-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added note about walking

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Others with more knowledge can weigh in, but it is pretty well documented that during weight loss on a low carb plan, your triglycerides can be high. Looks like you are still losing weight to me.

Check this out. What is this wacky thing called “weight loss”? | The Heart Scan Blog

Thanks for that link, calmed me down a bit.

Weight loss is great. Hunger totally under control. I can IF for 1 - 2 days easily. I just tried, not by design, a 3 day fast and I was seriously considering going the rest of the week, but my wife cautioned me to take it easy. I'm not in any hurry.

May be because of the 3 day fast, obviously was going on my stored fatcell energy so lots of triglicerites being released? (As the article explains it.) That is what might have skewed the results so? May be a simple/normal 12-24 hour fast would have been more accurate representative of my cholesterol? I'm sure I dropped 1-2 lbs of fat within those 3 days of IF, which is pretty rapid.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, you were not even close to the extremes Dr. Davis described. I am not expert for sure. But if you are losing fat and feeling good, I wouldn't personally worry much about the numbers. I'm glad it was of some help to you. I'm sure Mark and Dr. Eads have written about this as well. You should go hunting. Also, I'm pretty confident there are other threads here in the MDA forum...just don't have the links handy. You've done good work...enjoy it.

I'd consider finding another doctor who will support what you are trying to do as well.