Thread: Should I be eating more? page

henrysmom717 is offline Junior Member

Should I be eating more?

I have gone primal and I feel great. So many of my issues are gone. And I find that I am just not that hungry. I eat when I am hungry, but I dont force myself to eat a certain amount of protein, etc during a day. My friends say I should force myself to eat, but that seems silly. So, should I be eating a certain amount of food during a day or can I eat when I am hungry?

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    What do you normally eat? What gets you full? Are you looking to lose weight?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I see no point in eating if you're not hungry. You may need to maximize the nutrition in what you do eat but generally if your body isn't asking for food, you should be fine. If you start feeling bad then look at it again.

PrimalNYC is offline Junior Member
    My only worry about not eating enough is a lack of the proper nutrients you need consistently for your cells to function properly. It is very good to not feel hungry all the time and this is a direct result of a well-followed primal diet, Just make sure you are taking a high quality/paleo or primal endorsed daily multi-vitamin. You should begin to feel even better when your cells are properly nourished. If you can believe that.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    We can better answer your question if we know your height, weight and average menu for a day.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Many around here seem to rave about following your hunger & eating till satiation, but personally I've found it a rather unreliable indicator when making radical shifts in my diet, including this recent shift to a diet based around whole foods.

I've noticed that if I simply follow my hunger I could easily go many hours without food and feel fine, and then eat a good sized meal that seems "filling", but when calculated out has provided nowhere near enough calories & nutrition for the number of hours I've expected it to sustain me.
    I sometimes find it challenging to eat enough healthy food to approach my caloric needs when easy to eat filler & crap from my diet has been eliminated, but huge deficits (under 50% of BMR/RMR) don't lead me to weight loss, so I've gotta eat.

I've found dedicating a longer time to eat meals can help, as it just seems far easier/faster to eat 2-3 eggs, glass of OJ and a buttered english muffin than to polish off 5 eggs with cooked spinach, a sliced yellow pepper, half a tomato and some avocado, even though they may have similar caloric values. That, and try experimenting with various cooking techniques, cuts of meat, recipes, etc.... as there's nothing harder to eat than bland or uninteresting food
    Last edited by Fury; 10-26-2011 at 12:47 PM.

henrysmom717 is offline Junior Member
    I am 35, female, weigh 130, and 5'4". I lift 3 times a week and do a 4 mile walk everyday. Plus, i walk alot for errands etc.

My normal daygoes something like this:

breakfast: hard boiled egg, small serving of fruit, water

lunch: mixed salad vary the veggies, generally with chicken, small serving of dark chocolate

dinner: coconut curry with veges and meat, steak and veggies, etc.

hard to say what my serving size is, but in general my dinner plate is covered with food.

maybe I should be eating more breakfast...?

I am not losing weight. In general, that would be nice, but not the goal, since I mostly started due to stomach (digestion) issues

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom717 View Post
    I am 35, female, weigh 130, and 5'4". I lift 3 times a week and do a 4 mile walk everyday. Plus, i walk alot for errands etc.

My normal daygoes something like this:

breakfast: hard boiled egg, small serving of fruit, water

lunch: mixed salad vary the veggies, generally with chicken, small serving of dark chocolate

dinner: coconut curry with veges and meat, steak and veggies, etc.

hard to say what my serving size is, but in general my dinner plate is covered with food.

maybe I should be eating more breakfast...?

I am not losing weight. In general, that would be nice, but not the goal, since I mostly started due to stomach (digestion) issues
    I don't eat much more than this, and I am 5'9". If you are feeling great, I don't see any reason to force feed yourself. I agree that your friends are being silly.

Sulamar is offline Junior Member
    I have the same concern. I'm trying to lose weight. Down about 50 lbs already since April. I'm 6 ft, 250 lbs, male. I'm only twice a day since I'm not that hungry on primal and I've always wondered if I was eating enough or too much. I keep losing weight so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but I wonder about nutrition as well.

I feel wonderful since going Primal. I eat 2 times a day.
    First meal usually 4 eggs - heavy cream - 4 strips of bacon (some mornings I do 3 sausage patties instead)
    Second meal usually large meat portion. Like 12oz steak of 5 chicken legs - and a plate of Asparagus or something else thats green and delicious when tossed in butter.

These 2 meals bring me around 1700 calories I believe. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less.

I'm not hungry and I feel good so I don't think I should change it but I wonder sometimes.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Some people find it beneficial to eat their biggest meal in the morning, so you could try transitioning to a bigger breakfast and smaller dinner, but really, if you're not hungry and not suffering from a lack of food, you're probably fine!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.