Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i'm tired - how to beat winter? page

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member

i'm tired - how to beat winter?

I'm eating right, I've made massive strength and speed gains, and when I'm on, I'm ON. Only now it's late October and I'm tiiiiiiired. Like, I can hardly seem to do anything professionally on days that I'm doing things athletically anymore (where that used to focus my attention) because I'm so drowsy and unmotivated. WHY? lack of sun, lack of vegetables (been a bit slack wrt lots of greens and pro-egg recently), lack of... what? and don't say rest. I rest when I get a hangover, dammit!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I have the same issue. For me, it was more rest. I slept 14 hours last night but I feel a LOT better today. It was driving me nuts for the last 3 or 4 days. I was dragging ass and couldn't figure it out. Winter sucks. Sucks big balls.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Vitamin D might work wonders.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Also, just because you don't want to hear that you need to rest, doesn't mean that isn't the problem. If you haven't been sleeping enough you could be burning out or getting adrenal fatigue. Sleep is a good thing...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Given the areas listed in your profile, you are probably not getting enough sun. I always supplement on rainy days now, and daily anyway, and it definitely helps with my mood, but getting regular sleep (at least 8 hours every night) is the only thing that TRULY keeps my ass from dragging come this time of year.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

bahaaha, yes my geography is definitely a pain in the bum sometimes... as for rest & sun, guess i should look up a good D supplement!

Tomtom is offline Junior Member
    Your body uses more energy in colder weather to stay warm. At least that is what they taught us in the military. Which is why our winter MREs have about twice as much as the normal ones...

You are tired because you don't have as much energy. You don't have as much energy because it is cold. Simple.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely say make sure your sleep is good. Lack of motivation and energy and dreading going to the gym are potential signs of overtraining. You have to rest as hard as you train, so schedule in a week when you drop the volume and intensity so your body can recover and adapt. Another point would be make sure you are eating enough carbs to fuel your sessions and recover.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

well, let me clarify - i don't feel like i'm overtrained because i'm not experiencing major doms or muscle fatigue (if anything, my body feels great) and working out is about the ONLY thing i feel happy to step up and blast into. and i'm definitely not feeling like i'm holding back or missing out or slowing down or anything. but when i'm not working out, i'm like a friggin ADD child. very hard to focus on anything that is NOT athletically-centered.

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have you tried light therapy? My doctor recommended it to me, and while I initially thought it was hoodoo-voodoo, it actually seems to be helping. I feel more alert during the day, and sleep better at night.

I just flick on my therapy light for an hour in the mornings while I'm checking my emails. And, of course, getting outside in the sunshine (when it's available) is even better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast