Thread: Howdy all! A little bit about me page

Pa-RN is offline Member

Howdy all! A little bit about me

I am a 37 yr old ( well will be 37 on Nov 3) wife,Mother of one and a registered nurse.I have been primal eating for about 10 days now.This is my 2nd attempt at going primal.I sabotaged myself last year since I started right before Christmas..I am not in the best shape.I suffer from GERD ,Hiatal hernia and High cholesterol.My Dr put me on nexium and zocor, 2 really bad ones I know.I recently went off the zocor with my Drs blessing to try primal.The nexium is a harder one since my reflux has been pretty bad.I am hoping eventually to get off that as well.I have lied to myself telling myself I am not that bad off though..I am 5'2 inches and 155 lbs.I was over 161 lbs 10 days ago..SO this is working!! P90x,Chalean Extreme ,TurboFire and running are some of the programs I completed, but I could never get the eating controlled properly becasue I was fueling with ALL THE WRONG FOODS.I am hoping to learn to eat properly.Vegetables are my struggle..never been a fan, but I am trying .I bought the primal cookbooks and have been reviewing primal recipes.

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome! I too, had GERD -- and eventually had the surgery, which worked for me. I now have no problems, but looking back, Prilosec (this was before Nexium) really screwed up my digestion for several years. Do work on getting off that stuff, too. You will have trouble digesting proteins properly until you have enough acid in your stomach. It is a weird reverse paradox for those of us with GERD.

Lucky for you you won't have to keep up with the P90x type of exercise either. You didn't say that you have read The Primal Blueprint -- if you haven't yet, I definitely recommend that you do so, as Primal is much more than diet. Congratulations on the first 10 days of your New Life. And Welcome.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Pa-RN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkd2001 View Post
    Hi and welcome! I too, had GERD -- and eventually had the surgery, which worked for me. I now have no problems, but looking back, Prilosec (this was before Nexium) really screwed up my digestion for several years. Do work on getting off that stuff, too. You will have trouble digesting proteins properly until you have enough acid in your stomach. It is a weird reverse paradox for those of us with GERD.

Lucky for you you won't have to keep up with the P90x type of exercise either. You didn't say that you have read The Primal Blueprint -- if you haven't yet, I definitely recommend that you do so, as Primal is much more than diet. Congratulations on the first 10 days of your New Life. And Welcome.
    Thank so much..yes I have read the Primal Blueprint and the new one too that just came out.I really want to get off the Nexium.Iam hoping with weight loss and proper eating, my need to be on it won't be there.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa-RN View Post
    I am hoping to learn to eat properly.Vegetables are my struggle..never been a fan, but I am trying .I bought the primal cookbooks and have been reviewing primal recipes.
    Just make the recipes and eat them. Don't search too long for ones that look good or you think you might like. Half of eating well is training ourselves to enjoy new foods. We can only do that by eating the new foods and severely limiting the old ones. At first, the food doesn't have to be delicious or enjoyable. Instead, think of it as nourishment/fuel. Your tastebuds will catch up.

Pa-RN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    Just make the recipes and eat them. Don't search too long for ones that look good or you think you might like. Half of eating well is training ourselves to enjoy new foods. We can only do that by eating the new foods and severely limiting the old ones. At first, the food doesn't have to be delicious or enjoyable. Instead, think of it as nourishment/fuel. Your tastebuds will catch up.
    Thanks..i am going to do that..I am trying the Primal Spaghetti and meatballs recipe using cauliflower tomorrow.I had plain old spinach with a steak the other night..A little butter helped it taste a little better, but overall I liked it.I used the leftovers in a veggie omelet for lunch

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Hi! Today is day 10 for me, too! I hope you find some great ways to enjoy vegetables eventually. I am vegetable crazy, but I grew up hating them because we always had nasty canned stuff, and so I've spent my adult life relearning to like them (one good thing I got out of CW!). I really developed a taste for most of them. Maybe you can start by thinking of greens as a conveyor of yummy high fat salad dressings?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here are some thoughts on vegetables. The short answers are 1)butter, 2)you don't have to eat a ton of vegetables. I eat a lot because I love them, all of them - beets, broccoli, stinky cabbage, spinach, and all the rest. But there may be some that, because of your genetics, will always taste like crap to you. Don't eat them.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.