Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal for gaining muscle mass possible? page

Bitteeinbit is offline Junior Member

Primal for gaining muscle mass possible?

Hi,

So I've been primal for a few weeks now and I'm loosing a bit of weight. I'm definitely loosing fat but not sure if I'm maximizing muscle mass retention. I work out fairly often and figure I need around 3500 calories/day to maintain or gain a tiny bit of weight. I don't necessarily need to gain much but retention is my key goal, at least for now. The first few days were an adjustment (wasn't sure how much fat I should eat, felt weird to eat so much fat, got hungry etc.) and I figure some of the weight loss is water-weight, but now i figure I might be under eating.

Does anyone follow a primal diet/lifestyle and is able to gain weight? If so, what's the secret? I've done a few searches and came up empty handed. Most posters seem to want to lose weight or just follow a lifestyle they feel is more healthy. I'm doing it as a test for energy levels. Would I need to up the carbs significantly? Like ~200g? Right now I figure I'm around 90-175 depending on the day.

So yeah, any examples of diets for weight gain/retention from people who work out would be appreciated. Have you been able to make gains while on the primal diet? I'm not necessarily talking about pure bodybuilder gains either (though tips for that are also good).

Should have added that I was around 180 when I started and am now around 175-178.

Cheers,
    -B
    Last edited by Bitteeinbit; 10-26-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Keeping your muscles under stress and not creating a protein deficiency is all you can do to retain muscle. I'd say by far the most important thing is that you keep lifting or you will lose muscle.

Yes, it is absolutely possible to be primal and gain muscle mass. Many of us on here are doing just that.

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    like u said u need to figure out ur carb intake for urself, but for me i do refeeds on fridays and saturdays. my usual carb intake on reg is about 90-125. but on those days im about 300 each day. give or take a few. ive noticed a huge increase in strength doing this. thats me tho. im 5 11, 162lbs. check out chocotacos' thread on refeeds its a great read. it helped me to start.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32876.html
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Bitteeinbit is offline Junior Member
    Do you eat a surplus of calories? Carb refeeds sound interesting. I could do that on my workout days. Do you eat any grains on those refeed days?
    Last edited by Bitteeinbit; 10-26-2011 at 08:40 AM.

I use the leangains approach, I carb cycle and calorie cycle to certain extent as well. Protein by far is the focus of my diet and I don't go overboard with eating fat.

We have a lot of info on carb cycling on this site actually. I use sweet potatoes for that very frequently and sometimes white rice as well. I've had a single digit fat percentage and been adding muscle for over a year now. I'm very happy with my primal lifestyle.

i mainly consume white rice for the refeeds but do low fat/nonfat on those days as well, i dont consume more than 30g of fat. theres many ways to get high carbs, just do what ur gut can handle. i also following leangains like daemonized. as far as calories id say im about 2k+ on reg days and about 3k+ on workout days, dont really know honestly i just focus on carbs and protein intake. im pretty active and on my feet all day.

oh i also IF everyday for 15hrs. and have one day where i fast for 20+ hrs usually mondays.
    Last edited by Chochobo; 10-26-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds

PaleoAP is offline Member
    Sorry to jack the thread but I've been doing the LeanGains approach for a month now and find it extremely difficult to create low-fat, high carb, high protein meals that are high enough in calories to have a 20% surplus. What sort of meals do you guys have on your carb refeeds? I've been doing a ton of chicken and turkey breast which gets old fast, white-fish is sort of expensive. Then I try and force feed myself enough sweet potato/squash/fruit to fill in the remainder of my calories and reach 3000 cals. I find it extremely difficult to choke down that much lean protein and carb. How do you guys do it? What sort of meals do you have?

heres a meal i usually eat PWO. u just gotta find dif ways to do it.

Dinner carb refeed
    White rice pasta
    About 10oz of ground turkey breast
    Curry sauce(red curry paste, pumpkin puree, tomato paste, nonfat greek yogurt, okra, siracha, onions, garlic, parsley)
    Mixed greens(kale, greens, sauerkraut)
    Pumpkin pudding(greek yogurt, pumpkin puree, pumkpin spice, cinnamon, cocoa powder, stevia)

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoAP View Post
    How do you guys do it? What sort of meals do you have?
    Lately I've been on a beef heart kick. $1.99/lb and it's super lean (once you trim off the exterior fat). And lots of potatoes. My PWO meal is usually ~1lb of beef heart and 2lbs of potatoes. Sometimes I take a scoop of whey protein mixed with a little milk as an appetizer. And have some fruit also. Every now and then I might also add in some rice cereal or plain rice. This meal is probably around 1500-2000 calories. Then I have a lower carb higher fat meal later in the day. Usually eggs/meat, veggies, greek yogurt/cottage cheese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast