Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pls pls convince me to avoid regular meals page

fra0039 is offline Member

Pls pls convince me to avoid regular meals

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey, there is one thing of the primal approach that I cannot follow: the advice to avoid regular meals and just eat when you are hungry. Since years I have 5-6 meals a day and I struggle to give this up (even if that would actually make things much easier) for several reasons, the main ones being:
    - I am trying to gain muscle and I am afraid this would be harder without regular meals (I read so much about the need to constantly provide protein to the muscles). I actually do not even mind gaining fat while doing this, as burning it up has never been a big problem for me
    - I am hardly ever hungry, so if I would start listening to my hunger I would probably hardly ever eat
    - I train regularly at the gym (with weights) and I feel that having a meal straight before/after the trainings helps to build muscle mass.

Am I so wrong? Or are small regular meals indeed what is needed when bulking up? And are regular meals actually unhealty or just inconvenient?

Thanks!

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Regular meals for me are inconvenient and boring. Having a life revolve around how many meals you have per day and at what time is a tragic waste of life and I know this from experience. It also adds to the stress,'i.e, freaking out when you miss a meal' type bullshit.

But, you have to do what you want to do. From a practical perspective, you certainly do not need 6 meals a day/protein every 3 hours to gain muscle. That is pure nonsense. Take a peek at Matt Lalonde- he eats the calories but he has put on massive size and strength eating anywhere between 1-3 meals a day, usually two by the looks of what he has posted. Your protein requirements are probably not as high as you believe, but this is your call. You can carry on eating 6 meals a day if you like, but know why you're doing it, because it will not help add muscle anymore than 2-3 meals a day will, UNLESS, it is easier for you to partition your calories as such. Most people here are just trying to get back to sanity, rather than add muscle, which is why a more natural, biologically congruent way of eating is advocated.

Good luck.

June is offline Senior Member
    You never get hungry because you are always eating. If you go down to 3 meals a day, your hormones will have a chance to do their job and you will start to feel hungry for your next meal. Hormones have a significant role in building muscle and losing fat.

Someone will probably come along and give you more information.

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    You never get hungry because you are always eating.
    No actually i can go on even an entire day without touching any food. I have tried that a few times and never got hungry... Apart from feeling bad thinking about my muscles being deprived of their food (maybe with no reason, I admit). I usually get hungry only when I am bored, but thats probably more desire to eat than real hunger...

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Its all mental unless you fast for 3 days straight. I have been IF'ing for at least 16 hours/day and have thrown in a few 40 hour fasts over the last 8 months and all I have done is actually build muscle. You won't go catabolic if you don't eat for 6 hours (or whatever). I know a few bodybuilders that live by the Warrior Diet (which is eating once per day essentially) and they don't fret over losing mass. Actually, a LOT of bigger guys that I have worked with usually only eat once or twice per day just because it feels "right" to them.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I found I naturally drifted away from eating between meals as my body adjusted to this way of eating. When I ate enough fat and protein at a meal, I wasn't looking for food in three or four hours.

Quote Originally Posted by fra0039 View Post
    No actually i can go on even an entire day without touching any food. I have tried that a few times and never got hungry... Apart from feeling bad thinking about my muscles being deprived of their food (maybe with no reason, I admit). I usually get hungry only when I am bored, but thats probably more desire to eat than real hunger...
    Then don't eat for the entire day and then when you are hungry (I'm assuming that you will get hungry eventually) eat.

Rinse and repeat.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fra0039 View Post
    Hey, there is one thing of the primal approach that I cannot follow: the advice to avoid regular meals and just eat when you are hungry. Since years I have 5-6 meals a day and I struggle to give this up (even if that would actually make things much easier) for several reasons, the main ones being:
    - I am trying to gain muscle and I am afraid this would be harder without regular meals (I read so much about the need to constantly provide protein to the muscles). I actually do not even mind gaining fat while doing this, as burning it up has never been a big problem for me
    - I am hardly ever hungry, so if I would start listening to my hunger I would probably hardly ever eat
    - I train regularly at the gym (with weights) and I feel that having a meal straight before/after the trainings helps to build muscle mass.

Am I so wrong? Or are small regular meals indeed what is needed when bulking up? And are regular meals actually unhealty or just inconvenient?

Thanks!
    -Less frequent meals boosts your HGH (human growth hormone) production between meals. This should make up and probably further improve muscle building.
    -If you stopped eating 5-6 meals per day, you would start to get hungry pretty quickly! Trust me.
    -Timing your meals before or after a workout has nothing to do with frequency of meals. If you workout once a day, eating a meal after a workout only requires 1 meal per day.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that there is any benefit from the frequent meal's claim. Here is Martin Berkhan from leangains take on it.

Better Blood Glucose with Lower Meal Frequency | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

alright, you convinced me, am gonna give it a try. think i will freak out at the beginning because i am so used never to skip a meal but i will let you know how it went. thanks a lot to all of you for your posts, i love this forum :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast