Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vit D advice needed page 2

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for the help. I'll use up what I have and then move on to something that is better absorbed. I'm a school librarian and I'm around kids all day so I'm going to try Vitamin D-3 and not to get a flu shot this year.

Yesterday I found a bottle of D-3 Softgels at home. I must have bought them last year and forgot I had them. They don't expire until August 2012. Problem is they have been in a room that, through the summer, could have reached 90 degrees every day. The bottle says to "avoid excessive heat". Not knowing just how excessive "excessive heat" is, I wonder if they are safe to take or still have their full potency. They look fine - not glued together.

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D gets destroyed at over 300 degrees (according to Vitamin D Health. org) so it would be more of an issue of the oil it's in being rancid.

Its Soybean oil, not the best I know, but it should stand up to 90 degrees shouldn't it? I could break one open and smell it. That should tell me something. I just don't want to take diminished Vitamin D-3 while I'm trying to keep my resistance elevated. Thanks.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    Hi

Iím after some info regarding Vit D3 supplemetation, I have read somewhere that the tablets should be in a capsule form with oil, is that correct? Canít remember where I read about it.

I have a big pot of 400IU powder tablets which I have just started taking now the English summer is over. Are there any issues with taking the tablets in powder form?

Can anyone provide links to why the tablets should be the capsule type and the pros and cons of both types maybe?!

I donít really want to throw the powder tablets out, but I will if they do more harm than good.

Thanks
    Sorry,

But dump them in the garbage. They are worthless. You need a MINIMUM of 5,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 Gellcaps. Most folks need 10,000 IU daily to get their blood level up to 80 ng/ml. I suggest getting the ones made with OLIVE OIL not soy oil.

After 3 months get your blood tested, $65 at home test or $50 at nearby any nearby Lab Corp . Details below the line in my Vit D research report.
    Then adjust dosage as required - Each 1,000 IU change in dose results in a 10 ng/ml change in the blood.

Grizz

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Grizz, where are you getting this info? You can't say that this person NEEDS at least 5000IU daily unless you've seen their bloodwork and they did not share that information.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    I take "Natures Answer" Vitamin D3, one serving providing 4000iu.It comes in liquid form (extra virgin olive oil) two drops in water,on your tongue,in your food etc.

I have not had a sniffle or a chill for 19 months since starting supplementing with D3.I have also recently read "The Vitamin D Revolution" by Soram Khalsa , MD. a fascinating insight into recent medical research regarding the importance of this hormone (yes,hormone).

seniorvitamin is offline Junior Member
    Vitamin D3 ideally should be taken as an oil filled capsule which provides far better absorption. In many cases powder filled capsules or tablets are unable to raise serum Vitamin D levels significantly thus oiled filled capsules are recommended.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12