Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lost and seriously need help. Confused page

runner_79 is offline Senior Member

lost and seriously need help. Confused

Primal Fuel
    Male, 22 170lbs 5 11 I have just been metabolically tested for running and I have been assigned Zones for training both the aerobic and glycolytic pathways to optimally help with endurance running (10km racing) My test results are as follows Zone 1 (140-148bpm) Zone 2(148-160bpm) Zone 3 (160-170) Zone 4 (170-178) Zone 5 (178-188)

Zone 1 and 2 are mainly fat burning zones and zones 3+ are more glycolytic. If for example I'm training the follwing Zone 1 3minutes Zone 3 2 minutes Zone 2 5 minutes Zone 3 5 minutes (repeat these 4 again)

Zone1 2 min Zone3 3min (total 35minutes)

How would I best use paleo to lean out and lose fat/weight?
    I am slightly lean at 12-15% bf ranmge and would like to get down to 10% for vanity reasons, but don't want performance to suffer to much.

I am really stuck with what to eat when. Training fasted is easy. My BMR is 2240 and i want to stay away from nuts (phytic acid and fruit(fructose)).
    PLEASE HELP

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    You don't seem lost at all, to be honest -- if you're interested in leaning out to 10%... you only have like 3-5 pounds of BF to lose, which isn't too much. If you're creating a daily calorie deficit of 500 a day, you'll get there in 8-10 weeks, which isn't long at all. I have to admit, your BMR seems a bit high given your stats. Which method did you use to calculate it?

I wouldn't try and shoot for more than 1lb of weight loss a week... otherwise you could easily compromise your performance and aerobic gains. I also would not skimp on the carbs either, given what you are training for. You sound like you're going to be above your aerobic/anaerobic threshold regularly. A 10k is definitely a V02 max race. A healthy serving of carbs post workout will promote glycogen recovery and optimal protein synthesis via insulin much better than fat will. Why do you have an aversion to fruit and fructose? a person your size with that training schedule could definitely benefit from 100-150g of carb on your active days. Possibly more. Assuming you don't have any prior metabolic issues... consider eating some white rice with your post workout meal. I also started avoiding nuts and dried fruit since they aren't particularly nutritious or filling, and are easy to over consume.

Long run fat loss has nothing to do with when/how frequently you eat during a single day -- this has been scientifically proven time in and time out. I wouldn't worry about it too much and do what feels comfortable as long as your average daily deficit is around 500cal.

Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    You don't seem lost at all, to be honest -- if you're interested in leaning out to 10%... you only have like 3-5 pounds of BF to lose, which isn't too much. If you're creating a daily calorie deficit of 500 a day, you'll get there in 8-10 weeks, which isn't long at all. I have to admit, your BMR seems a bit high given your stats. Which method did you use to calculate it?

I wouldn't try and shoot for more than 1lb of weight loss a week... otherwise you could easily compromise your performance and aerobic gains. I also would not skimp on the carbs either, given what you are training for. You sound like you're going to be above your aerobic/anaerobic threshold regularly. A 10k is definitely a V02 max race. A healthy serving of carbs post workout will promote glycogen recovery and optimal protein synthesis via insulin much better than fat will. Why do you have an aversion to fruit and fructose? a person your size with that training schedule could definitely benefit from 100-150g of carb on your active days. Possibly more. Assuming you don't have any prior metabolic issues... consider eating some white rice with your post workout meal. I also started avoiding nuts and dried fruit since they aren't particularly nutritious or filling, and are easy to over consume.

Long run fat loss has nothing to do with when/how frequently you eat during a single day -- this has been scientifically proven time in and time out. I wouldn't worry about it too much and do what feels comfortable as long as your average daily deficit is around 500cal.
    i crave fruit and nuts and they inhibit me leaning out most due to sugars. If i have a small portion of blueberries, ill wanna eat the whole lot, same with nuts.
    BMR was calculated via a RMR test and the same with my HR zones as i had a fitness test done with a mask and leads to my chest and hr monitor. while running on a treadmill at certain inclines and pace.
    meal wise: do i eat lean meats and veggies with some added fat to meet a caloric intake (still a deficit) or just lean meats and veggies and carbs p/workout?
    thanks pete

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Since you have so little to lose, your best bet would be to eat around maintenance, and get your deficit thru exercise. Have you checked out LeanGains? IF'ing might also be a good tool to dropping the last few pounds and maintaining muscle.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Have looked into LG. do it 3 days a week.usually I over w/e.
    Any suggestions on what I can do in terms of strength WITHOUT a gym membership?cannot afford it.
    Thanks

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    push ups and pull ups alone can give you a very effective strength workout. Start to do alternating pushups putting more weight on one arm as you get stronger. One legged squats are good to. hold onto a door for balance and do a nice deep squat on one leg. Not as effective as traditional squats and dead lifts, but better than nothing. If you're already familiar with leangains.com, you are right there dude...I think all you need is some patience and consistency, and it will come off.

Nice...when we create a deficit through exercise does that mean eat at maintenance but if I burn 600kcal through running then that means I'm at a 600 deficit?or 500 under maintenance PLUS training?

And also, what about kettlebells?
    I own 2 of them that I bought ages ago. A 16kg and 20kg. Any thoughts with these and other conditioning for strength and fat loss

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Male, 22 170lbs 5 11 I have just been metabolically tested for running and I have been assigned Zones for training both the aerobic and glycolytic pathways to optimally help with endurance running (10km racing) My test results are as follows Zone 1 (140-148bpm) Zone 2(148-160bpm) Zone 3 (160-170) Zone 4 (170-178) Zone 5 (178-188)

Zone 1 and 2 are mainly fat burning zones and zones 3+ are more glycolytic. If for example I'm training the follwing Zone 1 3minutes Zone 3 2 minutes Zone 2 5 minutes Zone 3 5 minutes (repeat these 4 again)

Zone1 2 min Zone3 3min (total 35minutes)

How would I best use paleo to lean out and lose fat/weight?
    I am slightly lean at 12-15% bf ranmge and would like to get down to 10% for vanity reasons, but don't want performance to suffer to much.

I am really stuck with what to eat when. Training fasted is easy. My BMR is 2240 and i want to stay away from nuts (phytic acid and fruit(fructose)).
    PLEASE HELP
    Do you think the Kenyans, as they are being brought up, are being metabolically tested and then basing their training on different ďZonesĒ? No, they just run. You are correct that you are lost, but itís not because you donít know what to do, itís because you havenít decided what is most important to you. Make that decision, and then the next steps become self-evident.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Get faster.
    That may lean me out in the progress?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast