Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: lost and seriously need help. Confused page 2

  1. #11
    tradawg's Avatar
    tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    501
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Nice...when we create a deficit through exercise does that mean eat at maintenance but if I burn 600kcal through running then that means I'm at a 600 deficit?or 500 under maintenance PLUS training?
    Eat at maintenance and whatever you burn exercising is your deficit. RE: the kettlebells, swings are a good conditioner, you could also do goblet squats, waiters walks, farmers walks....google it and I'm sure you'll come up with a bunch of stuff.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

    "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire


    For nutrition/wellness tips:

    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

    www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

  2. #12
    primal pete's Avatar
    primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    195
    Keep in mind that your BMR is the absolute minimum amount of daily calories you need to expend in order to keep your vital functions running. You'd burn your BMR if you laid in bed all day and didn't move a muscle... so even if a given day isn't a workout day, if you are walking around a lot your actual caloric expenditure could be much higher than your BMR. For example, I have a similar goal as you currently, and my BRM is 1850, but I set my average daily caloric expenditure at 3100 when I include my workouts and daily activity (walking to work, ect.).

    The first thing you must do is figure out what your maintenance level actually is. Trying to figure out your daily caloric expenditure on a daily basis is nearly impossible, and honestly would take way too much effort than it is worth. Take a weeks worth of activity and try and figure out your average daily expenditure, then shoot for a weekly average of 500cal/day below that. See how you feel, take a picture of yourself once a week, and assess your progress in 1-2 months. If you aren't losing anything, reassess and lower your intake, as long as you are feeling fine.

  3. #13
    primal pete's Avatar
    primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    195
    there is great internet based software to make this easy, btw, for example FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

  4. #14
    dboxing's Avatar
    dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Get faster.
    That may lean me out in the progress?
    Perfect. And yes, most likely it will, presuming you don't start eating a lot of crap. Work on speed, work on sprints, work on constantly striving to lower your time(s). Do this for 6 weeks, really focus on it, then reassess. Don't make it complicated. Complex does not always mean better. Keep it simple and focus.

  5. #15
    fpsjosh01's Avatar
    fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Britain, CT
    Posts
    1,079
    I know I'm being the downer of the group here, but why do we need to worry about bodyfat percentages?

    If you have a bf% of 15 percent, you look DAMN good.

    If you're trying to lean out for long distance running, I guess I can see that, but you do yourself no favors by trying to lose body fat like that.

    I honestly just want to look good and feel good. (deposits 2 cents in jar)
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

  6. #16
    Karma's Avatar
    Karma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    654
    As a beginner you may feel 10K is an endurance event but in reality it realy isn't. A guy your age and body composition tells me that you should be running a 10K in under an hour with the proper training. This is NOT endurance racing. I train folks up to 100 miles running and 200 miles in cycling. Now THOSE are endurance events. If you want to RUN a 10K, you need to run FAST in training in addition to your LSD (Long Slow Distance) running in low zones. Two days a week of sprinting with pick-ups into Z4/Z5 (lasting no more that 20 seconds to start) will help build top end speed. It's not like your body suddenly STOPS burning fat once you go anerobic. That is still happening, just at a slightly less agressive rate.

    I find that athlete's who go Paleo/primal benefit from a carb re-feed about every 3-5 days ( A heavy carb day once a week in many cases). It's called carb cycling and works well. Mark did a nice write up here. Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple

    Good Luck.

  7. #17
    runner_79's Avatar
    runner_79 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    115
    Which is why I'm looking to do kettlebell movements

    Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    I know I'm being the downer of the group here, but why do we need to worry about bodyfat percentages?

    If you have a bf% of 15 percent, you look DAMN good.

    If you're trying to lean out for long distance running, I guess I can see that, but you do yourself no favors by trying to lose body fat like that.

    I honestly just want to look good and feel good. (deposits 2 cents in jar)

  8. #18
    runner_79's Avatar
    runner_79 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    As a beginner you may feel 10K is an endurance event but in reality it realy isn't. A guy your age and body composition tells me that you should be running a 10K in under an hour with the proper training. This is NOT endurance racing. I train folks up to 100 miles running and 200 miles in cycling. Now THOSE are endurance events. If you want to RUN a 10K, you need to run FAST in training in addition to your LSD (Long Slow Distance) running in low zones. Two days a week of sprinting with pick-ups into Z4/Z5 (lasting no more that 20 seconds to start) will help build top end speed. It's not like your body suddenly STOPS burning fat once you go anerobic. That is still happening, just at a slightly less agressive rate.

    I find that athlete's who go Paleo/primal benefit from a carb re-feed about every 3-5 days ( A heavy carb day once a week in many cases). It's called carb cycling and works well. Mark did a nice write up here. Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple

    Good Luck.
    I run the 10km in about 38 minutes.
    I do sprints 1 day a week. 6-100s 4-200s 4-800s
    I'm working in block zones of running every 100m in 18 seconds consistently back to back.

  9. #19
    runner_79's Avatar
    runner_79 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    115
    To everyone,
    You don't know how grateful I am for all this advice...

    Food wise, protein veggies and fat and post workout is carb and protein?
    Thanks heaps everyone

  10. #20
    Melody's Avatar
    Melody is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dfw
    Posts
    385
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    I run the 10km in about 38 minutes.
    I do sprints 1 day a week. 6-100s 4-200s 4-800s
    I'm working in block zones of running every 100m in 18 seconds consistently back to back.
    really? when my 5K was 24 minutes I ran 19 second 100 meters. That is a pretty fast 10k, are you a competitive runner?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •