Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lost and seriously need help. Confused page 2

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Nice...when we create a deficit through exercise does that mean eat at maintenance but if I burn 600kcal through running then that means I'm at a 600 deficit?or 500 under maintenance PLUS training?
    Eat at maintenance and whatever you burn exercising is your deficit. RE: the kettlebells, swings are a good conditioner, you could also do goblet squats, waiters walks, farmers walks....google it and I'm sure you'll come up with a bunch of stuff.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Keep in mind that your BMR is the absolute minimum amount of daily calories you need to expend in order to keep your vital functions running. You'd burn your BMR if you laid in bed all day and didn't move a muscle... so even if a given day isn't a workout day, if you are walking around a lot your actual caloric expenditure could be much higher than your BMR. For example, I have a similar goal as you currently, and my BRM is 1850, but I set my average daily caloric expenditure at 3100 when I include my workouts and daily activity (walking to work, ect.).

The first thing you must do is figure out what your maintenance level actually is. Trying to figure out your daily caloric expenditure on a daily basis is nearly impossible, and honestly would take way too much effort than it is worth. Take a weeks worth of activity and try and figure out your average daily expenditure, then shoot for a weekly average of 500cal/day below that. See how you feel, take a picture of yourself once a week, and assess your progress in 1-2 months. If you aren't losing anything, reassess and lower your intake, as long as you are feeling fine.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    there is great internet based software to make this easy, btw, for example FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Get faster.
    That may lean me out in the progress?
    Perfect. And yes, most likely it will, presuming you don't start eating a lot of crap. Work on speed, work on sprints, work on constantly striving to lower your time(s). Do this for 6 weeks, really focus on it, then reassess. Don't make it complicated. Complex does not always mean better. Keep it simple and focus.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    I know I'm being the downer of the group here, but why do we need to worry about bodyfat percentages?

If you have a bf% of 15 percent, you look DAMN good.

If you're trying to lean out for long distance running, I guess I can see that, but you do yourself no favors by trying to lose body fat like that.

I honestly just want to look good and feel good. (deposits 2 cents in jar)
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Karma is offline Senior Member
    As a beginner you may feel 10K is an endurance event but in reality it realy isn't. A guy your age and body composition tells me that you should be running a 10K in under an hour with the proper training. This is NOT endurance racing. I train folks up to 100 miles running and 200 miles in cycling. Now THOSE are endurance events. If you want to RUN a 10K, you need to run FAST in training in addition to your LSD (Long Slow Distance) running in low zones. Two days a week of sprinting with pick-ups into Z4/Z5 (lasting no more that 20 seconds to start) will help build top end speed. It's not like your body suddenly STOPS burning fat once you go anerobic. That is still happening, just at a slightly less agressive rate.

I find that athlete's who go Paleo/primal benefit from a carb re-feed about every 3-5 days ( A heavy carb day once a week in many cases). It's called carb cycling and works well. Mark did a nice write up here. Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple

Good Luck.

runner_79 is offline Senior Member
    Which is why I'm looking to do kettlebell movements

Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    I know I'm being the downer of the group here, but why do we need to worry about bodyfat percentages?

If you have a bf% of 15 percent, you look DAMN good.

If you're trying to lean out for long distance running, I guess I can see that, but you do yourself no favors by trying to lose body fat like that.

I honestly just want to look good and feel good. (deposits 2 cents in jar)

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    As a beginner you may feel 10K is an endurance event but in reality it realy isn't. A guy your age and body composition tells me that you should be running a 10K in under an hour with the proper training. This is NOT endurance racing. I train folks up to 100 miles running and 200 miles in cycling. Now THOSE are endurance events. If you want to RUN a 10K, you need to run FAST in training in addition to your LSD (Long Slow Distance) running in low zones. Two days a week of sprinting with pick-ups into Z4/Z5 (lasting no more that 20 seconds to start) will help build top end speed. It's not like your body suddenly STOPS burning fat once you go anerobic. That is still happening, just at a slightly less agressive rate.

I find that athlete's who go Paleo/primal benefit from a carb re-feed about every 3-5 days ( A heavy carb day once a week in many cases). It's called carb cycling and works well. Mark did a nice write up here. Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple

Good Luck.
    I run the 10km in about 38 minutes.
    I do sprints 1 day a week. 6-100s 4-200s 4-800s
    I'm working in block zones of running every 100m in 18 seconds consistently back to back.

To everyone,
    You don't know how grateful I am for all this advice...

Food wise, protein veggies and fat and post workout is carb and protein?
    Thanks heaps everyone

Melody is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I run the 10km in about 38 minutes.
    I do sprints 1 day a week. 6-100s 4-200s 4-800s
    I'm working in block zones of running every 100m in 18 seconds consistently back to back.
    really? when my 5K was 24 minutes I ran 19 second 100 meters. That is a pretty fast 10k, are you a competitive runner?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast