Thread: Hack My Workout page

kristiashley is offline Senior Member

Hack My Workout

Shop Now
    Just wanted a bit of wisdom from those who have been there and done it more than I.

I workout every other day or every 3rd day depending on recovery from the last workout. I alternate LHT and HIIT so one week it's 2 LHT and 1 HIIT and the next it's 2 HIIT and one LHT. I get my low level cardio/play from swimming and hiking with the kids on off days.

My LHT is all the big moves, Squats, Deadlifts, Pushups or free weight Bench Presses, Shoulder Presses and Planks and Side Planks. I do throw in some glute work from time to time with some hip presses and once in a blue moon I'll do curls if I feel like it, but not often. Occasionally I'll sub walking lunges for Squats if I'm feeling like a change. I do 3x5-7 with enough weight that the last few are a struggle while still maintaining good form.

I do a variety of HIIT that include sprints, running up stairs and walking down, jump rope, bodyrock.tv workouts, etc.

Anything I'm missing? I want to both shed fat and build muscle and I'm in it for the long haul so I'm in no particular rush. I've been able to see strength gains with each workout, although I de-loaded recently since I was needing longer and longer to recover and feeling week for several days so I backed off a bit and upped my sets to 3. I've done a lot of lifting in my day, but am starting again recently with this program. I used to lift all individual muscles and I like this much better, even though the minimalist approach is not what I'm used to.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    sounds like you've got your exercise down pat. keep up the good work.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    If you're making gains, you're on the right track. Are you doing all that during each LHT day? That's a lot of volume to do all in one day and could be the reason for the fatigue you're feeling. Also, according to Mark you only need to do HIIT once a week at most. Given that I might change the schedule to 2 LHT, one HIIT per week. Keep shoulder presses on a separate day from the pushups/bench presses, and once a week for deadlifts is plenty. So maybe LHT day one would be squat, bench/pushup, deadlift (classic Starting Strength A day), day two would be squat, shoulder press, chins. Planks, accessory work (like curls, hip presses) should be at the end of the workout.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If you are not recovering well, you probably need to either do less volume (less frequent, or fewer moves), or eat a bit more carb and maybe protein on your workout days. Once the workouts get heavy, low carbing just doesn't cut it. I downed a whole huge sweet potato with my stew tonight.

As to your exercises - maybe you ought to go with an established program. If you've been lifting a while and are not in a rush (Starting Strength is for people in a rush, and not for people losing fat), 5/3/1 seems like a great program and is very flexible. Check this out: Strength Standards
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

kristiashley is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thanks everyone. I did forget pull ups. I do those too, assisted as I'm not all that yet. I can easily switch it up and split my exercises. I don't currently do deads the same day as squats, I do either or. I can split my chest work from my shoulder work too no problem.

I probably wasn't clear, but I don't do 2 HIIT and 2 LHT each week, just three workouts total, one week will have 2 HIIT and 1 LHT and then the next week is reversed with 2 LHT and 1 HIIT. That seems to be working well for me given that I'm resting 1 or 2 days in between my workouts.

I was thinking the load was too much, but will also break up the exercises a bit more too. That's a great point.

I was looking at 5/3/1 which is what led me to un-load a bit on my weights, I'll read further though as I didn't put hard numbers to the weight and could probably benefit more from that thinking. I do track my workouts, so I'm sure of my gains week to week.

Good point too with the food. I've been eating well, a huge breakfast, a small lunch and a normal dinner, but not tracking macros at all. I just eat until full and that's that. I had been wondering though if I should track a bit just to ensure I'm eating enough.