Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asthma and cleaning products page

geostump is offline Senior Member

Asthma and cleaning products

Shop Now
    So, I have asthma and I'm wanting to do a deep cleaning at the house to eliminate cigarette smoke odor. From what I'm understanding, due to the asthma, I can't handle a lot of cleaning solutions due to the chemicals they add to make them smell nice. Plus, it's getting cooler out so leaving the windows open isn't the best idea. Any thoughts on what I should do, especially trying to remove the cigarette smoke odor?
    Georgette

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Georgette~

I use white vinegar to clean a lot of things. Works great for pet odor. Haven't needed to deal with cigarette smoke odor, so YMMV.

Since getting my Vitamin D level above 80 ng/ml, my asthma has disappeared. Several similar anecdotes over on PaleoHacks.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I'd start with vacuuming everything. Carpets. Under the furniture. Upholstery. Everything. Then wait about an hour for anything you've kicked up to settle. Then wash all surfaces. I do most of my surface cleaning with plain old white vinegar and water. Giving all hard surfaces a clean will help eliminate the smoke particles. I'd even give the walls & cabinets a bit of a wash. You don't need to scrub them but just a once over with a damp cloth.

I'd say launder everything you can. Mop all the floors. If you can steam clean, that's great. I have a little Bissel machine. I know they make an unscented, anti-allergy cleaning solution.

Oh, and if you have any blinds, they're major dust and particulate magnets. Sometimes people clean them in the bathtub.

I also have massive dust allergies so I even vacuum my books from time to time.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I'll jump on the white vinegar bandwagon as well. It's supposed to help eliminate smoke odors if you put a bowl of it out in the rooms where people smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Georgette~

I use white vinegar to clean a lot of things. Works great for pet odor. Haven't needed to deal with cigarette smoke odor, so YMMV.

Since getting my Vitamin D level above 80 ng/ml, my asthma has disappeared. Several similar anecdotes over on PaleoHacks.
    Do you use a water bottle mixed with white vinegar to spray it on couches and other things? I at least plan on vacuuming, cleaning blinds, and other things this weekend. I really have no way to test for my Vit D3 levels right now, hoping to in a few months. I'm taking 5000 IU's a day right now after backing down from 30,000 IU's last week when I was real sick. I plan on steam cleaning carpets in about a month. The nice thing is that in 2 weeks, I will have a day off work during the week so I can get stuff done during the week. I would like to look into have hardwood flooring done in the living room and in our bedroom. Would Febreeze help or could that make things worse?
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    I'll jump on the white vinegar bandwagon as well. It's supposed to help eliminate smoke odors if you put a bowl of it out in the rooms where people smoke.
    Straight vinegar or mixed with water?
    Georgette

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Straight vinegar or mixed with water?
    Straight vinegar is what I've read. Just put it in a nice bowl somewhere on a shelf. Never tried it myself, but it can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Straight vinegar is what I've read. Just put it in a nice bowl somewhere on a shelf. Never tried it myself, but it can't hurt.
    Thanks. Guess I'm buying a vat o'vinegar this weekend lol.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Thanks. Guess I'm buying a vat o'vinegar this weekend lol.
    I get 2 gallons for $3.50 at Costco. I go through it fast. I use it in my laundry in place of fabric softener, too.

As for the flooring, I'm a firm believer in having wood or some other hard flooring everywhere. I know it gets expensive, though. I'm probably a bit more persnickety about this stuff than most people because of my issue with dust, but it's just cleaner. It's hard to really clean wall to wall carpet thoroughly. Stuff gets down into the pad. I have area rugs in most rooms, but it's easy to roll them up and mop underneath. Plus replacing them is simpler when the time comes.

I'd skip the Febreeze. That stuff makes me sneeze my head off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast