Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: My True Primal Story by SweetPickles

Threaded View

My True Primal Story by SweetPickles

Hi! I'm SweetPickles (like the bus) and I am on my ninth day of going Primal.

PRIMAL SCREAM!

Two weeks ago, I read Why We Get Fat. And just over a week ago, I read the Primal Blueprint in one sitting. I knew I had that found out about something good because of the positive Amazon reviews, which I also credit for helping me pick out quality accessories for my iPhone. Anyway, I made myself one last bowl of popcorn later that night and the next day I said goodbye to grains, just like in the Jeff Buckley song.

LAST GOODBYE

We both cried a little, but I think deep down we really knew that steak and I were going to be much better fit.

I am a 35 year old woman, 5'10", and I currently weigh approximately 195. My highest weight ever was about 260 - yikes! That was about 10 years ago, though. Through CW techniques, I have managed to keep my weight below 200 since then, but I've never really gotten as trim as I've wanted to be. My lowest weight (for my wedding) was 175 and I've mostly hovered around 185 by running, doing Bikram Yoga, and doing Weight Watchers. (Stop booing, I didn't know any better.)

THIS IS NOT LIVING

So, this summer, I hit a wall. I gained weight and my usual ways of battling it did nothing. I biked, I ran, I ate no brats. I guess you all know where I'm going with this.

NO PLACE GOOD

By September, I couldn't zip up my regular, not skinny, jeans without a muffin top. Luckily, it got cold so I just started leaving my coat on all the time, but I was getting frustrated and also bored with wearing the same three things that fit. I started researching and plunked down for Gary Taubes' book, which lead me to find the PB.

SO LONG, STINKTOWN!

And so far, this has been amazing. It's only nine days, but I can zip up my jeans again w/o muffin, in fact, they are a little loose. I am guessing I am about 195 right now, but I do know I am noticeably trimmer in my face and in my waist. I have been exercising, but not all that much because I've been busy. I'm having a great time and the food! Oh, the food! Yeah, I could get used to this.

BACON TOWN!

But here's the part I really want to share: I have rosacea that acts up in cold, dry weather. I get glowing, bright red, raw skin and I flush frequently - it's embarrassing, to say the least. I've tried all sorts of topical treatments (which made it worse) and painful IPL treatments (which resulted in some temporary improvement). However, I haven't had IPL for quite a while and for about a week now, my skin has been much less reactive and less dry, which I attribute to both getting grains out of my diet and getting more fat in. It looks normal - dare I say pretty? As far as I am concerned, that alone is reason enough to stick with it.

YOU'RE SO VAIN

Anyway, I'm really grateful to be here and can't wait to share more of my primal adventure. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by SweetPickles; 10-25-2011 at 03:34 PM.