Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My True Primal Story by SweetPickles page

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member

My True Primal Story by SweetPickles

Shop Now
    Hi! I'm SweetPickles (like the bus) and I am on my ninth day of going Primal.

PRIMAL SCREAM!

Two weeks ago, I read Why We Get Fat. And just over a week ago, I read the Primal Blueprint in one sitting. I knew I had that found out about something good because of the positive Amazon reviews, which I also credit for helping me pick out quality accessories for my iPhone. Anyway, I made myself one last bowl of popcorn later that night and the next day I said goodbye to grains, just like in the Jeff Buckley song.

LAST GOODBYE

We both cried a little, but I think deep down we really knew that steak and I were going to be much better fit.

I am a 35 year old woman, 5'10", and I currently weigh approximately 195. My highest weight ever was about 260 - yikes! That was about 10 years ago, though. Through CW techniques, I have managed to keep my weight below 200 since then, but I've never really gotten as trim as I've wanted to be. My lowest weight (for my wedding) was 175 and I've mostly hovered around 185 by running, doing Bikram Yoga, and doing Weight Watchers. (Stop booing, I didn't know any better.)

THIS IS NOT LIVING

So, this summer, I hit a wall. I gained weight and my usual ways of battling it did nothing. I biked, I ran, I ate no brats. I guess you all know where I'm going with this.

NO PLACE GOOD

By September, I couldn't zip up my regular, not skinny, jeans without a muffin top. Luckily, it got cold so I just started leaving my coat on all the time, but I was getting frustrated and also bored with wearing the same three things that fit. I started researching and plunked down for Gary Taubes' book, which lead me to find the PB.

SO LONG, STINKTOWN!

And so far, this has been amazing. It's only nine days, but I can zip up my jeans again w/o muffin, in fact, they are a little loose. I am guessing I am about 195 right now, but I do know I am noticeably trimmer in my face and in my waist. I have been exercising, but not all that much because I've been busy. I'm having a great time and the food! Oh, the food! Yeah, I could get used to this.

BACON TOWN!

But here's the part I really want to share: I have rosacea that acts up in cold, dry weather. I get glowing, bright red, raw skin and I flush frequently - it's embarrassing, to say the least. I've tried all sorts of topical treatments (which made it worse) and painful IPL treatments (which resulted in some temporary improvement). However, I haven't had IPL for quite a while and for about a week now, my skin has been much less reactive and less dry, which I attribute to both getting grains out of my diet and getting more fat in. It looks normal - dare I say pretty? As far as I am concerned, that alone is reason enough to stick with it.

YOU'RE SO VAIN

Anyway, I'm really grateful to be here and can't wait to share more of my primal adventure. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by SweetPickles; 10-25-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome SweetPickles. I'm glad primal is going well for you. We are here if you have any questions. Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks so much, Hedonist!

And you know, I like that you have a blog for those who are not into the cave thing - I think of myself as more bobo than cavewoman. I would have been the one in the tribe who didn't hunt or gather anything. I might have gotten into cave painting, but more likely, I would have worked hard to provide constructive criticism to the painters.
    Last edited by SweetPickles; 10-26-2011 at 05:25 AM.

I have a refrigerator full of lovely eggs and organic ground beef, plus lots of fresh vegetables from the garden of Mr. SweetPickles. So why do I want to go out for dinner? I know that I can have much better food at home for much less money, but I feel really good and I want to be one of the ones who walk in the sun.

Today I ate:
    2 sausages
    3 slices of bacon
    2 eggs scrambled with cheddar cheese, onions and red peppers
    1 oz almonds
    1 tossed green salad with chicken breast and olive oil dressing
    1 small apple

So, dinner....
    Could be a sort of pastaless lasagna with the ground beef, tomatoes and peppers. Or, I could tell Mr. SP that we should go out - we haven't done that much lately, mainly because I didn't want to put on real pants. Decisions, decisions. I'll have to see how the mister feels when he gets home.

I think I've already indicated that I am fairly useless at anything of practical value. No? Well, I'm indicating it now. You know that game, "Lifeboat" where you pretend you are on a boat and you have to decide who the most valuable members of the group are and then get rid of the dead weight to ensure the best chances of survival? Yeah, I hate that game. I can't build a fire, identify poisonous mushrooms, or perform an emergency tracheotomy. So what? Fine, I'm going to have my own lifeboat where we sit around and discuss Foucault and die quickly.

THE LOVE BOAT

Cooking is also one of those things I don't really do. But Mr. SP is a marvelous cook and does all of our cooking happily. Combine that with his mad gardening/foraging skills and I have no excuse not to eat properly. I'm not exactly sure why he lets me stay on his lifeboat, but I'm a pretty lucky lady and I don't really feel the need to ask too many questions.

As for the primal lifestyle, well, Mr. SP is always supportive. He was supportive when I did Weight Watchers, that time I thought we should give up red meat, and when I made him cook with virtually no oil and butter. And now, he has been at his best yet with shopping and cooking primally. He loves rice and pasta and baking bread, and I was afraid he would feel limited, but opening the door to all the good oils and animal fats has really excited him. He just doesn't like it that he doesn't get all the skin and fat to himself anymore.

Mr. SP is a slender and active guy. He isn't going totally grain-free like me, but he's already got a lot of the primal lifestyle going on - slow, steady activity, lifting heavy things, and his fingernails are always dirty. I think I can live with that.

The night before last we did end up going out for dinner. Mr. SP was tired and happy to have a night off from cooking. Shiitake soup, beef, broccoli for me, sausage and mussels for him, yum. We went to a restaurant that makes really good bread but I didn't have as hard a time ignoring it as I thought I would - just didn't appeal to me. I had a nice glass of wine instead. Mr. SP had moved the breadbasket to his side so I couldn't reach it easily and I was like, no, put it right in the middle so I can dance close to the fire.

They also have amazing butter which was harder to pass up, even though I didn't have anything to put it on. And so I may have dipped my soup spoon in once, twice, three times a lady. Because that's how I live now.

I'm on day 12 now and things are still going well, still shrinking, still feeling good, and working on a primal exercise/activity routine which for me includes a lot of walking, Bikram yoga (I take it easy) and very short sprints which are exhilerating - a big change from before. In Bikram classes I used to go full throttle and feel like passing out. And I'm no super runner or anything, but I would focus on how many calories I could burn jogging on the treadmill. I used to take the bus or drive places to allow myself more time to get home and do heavy cardio - no more of that.

But I need to start lifting heavy things, which is not part of my normal routine at all. I need to get on board with strength training, so this weekend, I'm going to plan some ways to start incorporating strength workouts in.

Some people like to go out on the weekend. Not me. Fridays are quiet stay in nights for me. Husband is at work, it's my special time. I can do whatever I want - watch my stories, read the obituaries, sit on the davenport.

Old Man, look at my life.

What group of people besides primals likes to talk constantly about their ailments and what they ate? One of the great things about keeping this journal is that it brings out the senior citizen in me, which is awesome because now my wardrobe makes much more sense.

What I ate today: (cue soundtrack music, Van McCoy's The Hustle)

3-4 egg omelet with peppers, tomatoes, onions
    2 hardboiled eggs
    handful of walnuts
    handful of almonds
    large spinach salad with tomatoes, walnuts, chevre, and dressing
    glass of red wine

That's not a lot of food, I guess, but I'm not that hungry and I'm also not inclined to get up off the sofa. Since beginning this new woe, I'm not really sure when I'm hungry or not. Sometimes I think I'm not hungry, and then there's a steak, and bam, it's gone, and then I think I'm starving, and I eat one of my two hardboiled eggs, and I can't eat the second one. It's kind of strange. I mean, I could eat, but I don't feel that dizziness or crankiness coming on like I did before at the end of the day. I'm wondering how my body will let me know when I want to eat? Do they sell an app for this? I guess I'm supposed to "listen to my body" and get to know my hunger signals, but Grok probably just ate when there was food. Maybe he learned to save some for later, I don't know, but I don't think he thought about whether or not he was really hungry or not.

Late yesterday morning I hit a bit of a wall. I thought I was already done with the adjustment - I thought I was now a fat-burning machine! - but maybe not. I was lethargic - not really "foggy" but just tired - flu like. Ohhhh....wait, low carb flu! Oh, now I get it. Day 13 = flu day. D'oh!

And hungry. And eggs weren't cutting it. I'm glad I'm keeping this journal, because now I can look back at what I ate the day before. Nope, not enough food. But my body didn't tell me I was hungry! Body, we need to learn to communicate better before it comes to this. Why didn't you tell me how you were feeling? You talk and I'll listen. We can work it out. I'm not going anywhere.

I am really trying to avoid being hungry, and part of that might be some fear that if allow myself to get too hungry I will lose control and eat all of the Halloween candy. This sort of concern is really left over from years of low-fat diets, when I've been more or less constantly hungry and always walking that line between being "good" and binge eating. But yesterday I did feel a little bit of that desperation and I didn't like it at all. Bacon helped, and I eventually perked up, but there were some emotional things going on as well as physical.

Feelings, nothing more than feelings.

I bottle my negative emotions tightly. Tightly! In my marriage, Mr. SP is really good at expressing his feelings but I like to push everything way down inside where it's all dark and slimy. Sort of a switch of traditional gender roles. (I suspect that the idea that women are always great about expressing their feelings and that men are not is bunk, but anyway, we all know how that drill goes).

When faced with something unpleasant, painful, or irritating, I squelch the anger and discomfort and concentrate on the positive, I take ibuprofen, I watch TV. This is the modern way and I'm very good at it. Of course, eventually, I get pretty stressed out trying to keep all this stuff buried.

On the other hand, I hate being negative. I hate complaining. I'm like a high school gym teacher with one of those "no whining" signs up at all times. That is the other side of the modern way - I think many times when we do express our emotions it turns into a broken record and we just ruminate over and over - never "letting it out" but instead letting it build unto itself until it has a life of its own. This is not usually my style, but I think it's equally stressful.

So, what to do? One of the things that I've been working on is getting comfortable with not being comfortable all of the time, both physically and emotionally. I'm not sure if it's my natural instinct or my learned instinct to try to kill every negative feeling that comes my way immediately, but the impulse is strong. But it's okay to be a little sad, or angry, or hungry - and I don't have to bury it or let it become the dominant thing about me, I just have to go with it.

I imagine that Grok and Grokette didn't think about emotions as things that needed to be dealt with externally, but rather as things that they just felt. And I also suspect that they didn't see physical and emotional feelings as being as separately as we do in the modern world, but maybe that's another topic.

So, in conclusion: I'm working on dealing with my discomforts in what is perhaps a more primal way. So I'm hoping this will help me ride out any more "flu" that comes my way - both the hunger and the panic. Until the next steak comes along.
    Last edited by SweetPickles; 10-30-2011 at 03:25 AM.

This morning for breakfast we had sausages and strawberries with heavy unsweetened cream. Other than our Saturday night steak dinner and eating out, it was probably our most expensive primal meal yet. I feel very spoiled.

My grocery bill is high, but it isn't really higher than it was before, mostly because we were already big spenders when it comes to food. We aren't wealthy by American standards, but both my husband and I place a high value on quality food both for health and flavor, and so we have sought out organic and grass fed meat and eggs for quite some time now - and now that we're buying more of that, it's costly. But, we aren't buying prepackaged foods like crackers, cereal, tortilla chips, and frozen dinners - all of which were very expensive, particularly because we purchased the organic versions at our local co-op. Yep, we did that.

Anyway, we cut corners in other ways, for example don't have cable TV (though I do love cable TV, the trashier the better...), and we have one car and no plans to add another one. Mr. SP grows almost all of our vegetables and forages for things like mushrooms, apples, and berries. Not huge sacrifices, really. These were decisions made by us years ago because we love food. We're really lucky to be able to choose to spend our money this way, and lucky to have access to wonderful farmer's markets and stores.

But now we are planning our meals more carefully and we've really been enjoying it more than ever. You know that cheesy cover of that cookbook, Make it Paleo? Not knocking the book, it's on my Christmas list, but the cover is like a steamy hunk of Velveeta. Anyway, that's how we've been with this primal cooking and eating thing. It's actually brought us closer together, even if Mr. SP wants to have his with a side of rice.

Yesterday we went shopping and we spent about 50 dollars at Costco on bulk amounts of pork, walnuts, and almonds. We spent about 60 dollars at our coop on bacon, sausage, ground beef coffee, eggs, bananas and avocados (can't grow those in Wisconsin!), spinach (supplementary - can't grow enough for our needs) chocolate and heavy cream. We spent a final 40 at WF on strawberries, a chicken, some really delicious cheese, and olives. I expect all of this stuff to last two weeks, so not so bad.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    SweetPickles, I'm really enjoying your journal! Just two weeks in and you're eating, living, and writing like a veteran. Keep this up and you'll drop right through your wedding weight, and you'll feel better at that weight as well.

Having a supportive spouse may be the greatest advantage of all. Especially one who gathers and grows. Mr. SP sounds naturally cut out for primal and I expect this will be a very instructive experience for him as well.

I loved this:

"What group of people besides primals likes to talk constantly about their ailments and what they ate? ...senior citizen..."

Haha! I need to get one of those seven-day pill organizers large enough for bacon.

Thanks Timothy, for reading and for your kind words. I'm very lucky to have that kind of support. Mr. SP did eat a big old bagel this morning and I say, if that's what's working for him, so be it. We have to respect each other's decisions, you know? And, I know his grain consumption has gone way down since I started primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post

Haha! I need to get one of those seven-day pill organizers large enough for bacon.
    Love that idea! If you forget to take your bacon on Monday, you have to double up on Tuesday.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast