Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My True Primal Story by SweetPickles page 6

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, it's Monday and I am not craving donuts. So that's good. I started off my challenge with a breakfast of coffee, 4 jumbo eggs, arugula, and a little bacon. I'm not hungry for lunch but I do have an apple and some nuts with me just in case I need them. I babysit until 6:00 and then I have Crossfit at 7:00. Dinner will be porkchops and broccoli.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Just catching up with you - glad to hear you are doing well. Good luck with the challenge - I know you'll do awesome.
    Crossfit is a blast - I truly loved it when I went! and I felt so strong!

forward
    pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I love Crossfit too!

It's been a good first 5 days of the challenge! I've been doing a lot of IFing this week - 1-2 meals a day. We usually eat dinner around 7 or 8 and then I usually don't eat again until at least noon, usually later.

Yesterday I may have overdone it though - I honestly wasn't feeling hungry during the day, and when I got home it was 19 hours since my last meal. Then I ate 5 eggs, 3 slices of bacon and an arugula salad. But I was still hungry, so then an hour later Mr. SP and I split a nice big sirloin (I could have eaten the whole thing but I had just spent the day with a 2 and 3 year old discussing the concept of sharing, sigh), and I had another salad - spinach this time.

This weekend I want to make some food ahead for the coming week; I think maybe I convince myself I'm not hungry sometimes out of sheer laziness. But I want to maintain this rule for IFing - to eat whenever I'm hungry - that is my concession to the modern world. Anywhere from 15-18 hours usually seems pretty comfortable to me, but I like to be prepared with good snacks and meals I can take with me. When I first started primal, I was probably a little too prepared with food on hand - but I think that was good - it was really important to my successful transition. Now I've got a little less diligent.

Mr. SP has decided to do his own challenge while I do mine. He's giving up sweets and commercially processed foods for the six weeks. That will be pretty easy for him to give up, but I know that anything that smacks of dietary restriction makes him recoil, so I thought it was pretty cool that he wanted to play along in his own way.

For the record, Mr. SP would do much better in a challenge that asked him to say, tan some animal hides, or tap trees and make his own maple syrup, carve some bowls and spoons, or make a meal out of tree bark. He's done all these things and he thinks they are really fun. I have done none of those things because I think that is why we have stores, but you know, we have to support each other's projects.

But for the record, the squirrel pelt is a little creepy, the maple syrup is tasty, the bowls and spoons are quite impressive, and the tree bark is all kinds of ick.

Yesterday I IF'ed until dinner, no problem at all. I haven't eat yet today, but I'm starting to feel hungry and I don't think I can make it until dinner. Plus, we are eating with Mr. SP's family and I heard a rumor about beef stroganoff (ick), so I had better make sure I eat before that. They know about my eating habits but I don't want them to feel like they have to make special meals for me.

Especially since Mr. SP's grandmother died on Sunday morning. She died quickly and peacefully at home, but it's a big loss. I will miss her very much. There will be a memorial service in a few weeks but that's it. In the meantime, this week we've been staying close to grandpa, and so we've been sharing a lot of meals. Luckily, Mr. SP cooks most of them, just not tonight.

This is also the first week of classes after the break, and it brings another meeting with my advisor, which somehow I avoided for most of the fall.

My advisor: Where's your dissertation at?
    Me: It's in my head. I just need to start writing it down.
    My advisor: You need to get going on this.
    Me: Okay. I'll send you something soon. (Plans on taking 7 flights of stairs for the next month to avoid running into advisor in the elevator).

As part of my teaching appointment, I work in our writing lab and I meet with other students all of the time to discuss their dissertation writing, and I think I give them solid advice. But I can't seem to get into my own project. And the thing is, I think I'm actually pretty well cut out for academia. This really is what I want to do with my life. So what am I so afraid of?

I spent the last few days thinking, and I have come to the conclusion that I am afraid of hard work. The cure for that fear is to face it and start working hard. Or, maybe I could watch a movie or read a book about people working hard. Or, maybe I should just spend a few hours reading some more coverage of the Republican primary. I am normally quite liberal in that I like public education and lady rights, but since Newt has promised me a moon colony, and I want to go to there, so I'm all about the Newt candidacy. Also, somebody called him an "angry attack muffin" which I think is pretty awesome and I would like to see much more of that in politics.

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPickles View Post
    My advisor: Where's your dissertation at?
    Me: It's in my head. I just need to start writing it down.
    This had me giggling at work. It sounds markedly similar to my expereince if you replace dissertation with thesis. Contrary to what I expected, I found that regular meetings with my advisor to discuss my progress really helped get me moving. I had a really tough time distilling the copious data I collected (I'm a water treatment engineer - we were experimenting with new technology) into the truly useful nuggets I wanted to talk about. Having pretty frequent meetings when I started writing helped get me on the right track, and reign me in from going off in the wrong direction. Once we got my results sorted out, I was able to write in peace with less involvement.

Becka, your work sounds really challenging! I agree, being able to talk with someone frequently about your work is vital - especially when you are trying to hone in on what is most important or interesting aspect of your complex work, you need perspectives outside of your own. Alas, like many graduate students, when I fear I will be scolded (and rightfully so), I avoid those important meetings.

My advisor is not really a scolding type, which is good, I am supposed to be a functioning adult and all - but all he has to do is raise an eyebrow at me and I feel like such a disappointment - I'm ruled by my own guilt.

However, I have another one on Monday and I will be ready for it! Even if my work sucks and I feel lost, I know the meeting will help me make it better.

I've been slow to update - but that is because I've been focusing on my work, which is good. But I still want to keep a toe in MDA.

I really need to take some measurements again soon, because I'm still shrinking. It's not as dramatic as it was at first, but every time I see myself in the mirror I'm still slightly surprised that I'm as thin as I am. I've definitely had to tighten my belt. I still have plenty of fat I'd like to lose, but while I don't think anyone would describe me as skinny, I'm also quite confident that most people wouldn't describe me as chubby, either.

I do plan to post before/after pics eventually. I'm a fairly private person - I don't mind having my picture taken, but I'm a little uncomfortable posting them on the Interweb. However, I feel like it's important to share that evidence of a successful primal lifestyle, and I've been so inspired by everyone else who has been brave enough to share their photos.

Anyway, today I went to the dentist. Guess who needs braces! Or maybe a retainer. I've always enjoyed really good dental health until I hit my mid-thirties. Now, every time I go to the dentist, I find out about something expensive that I "need." Last time it was a crown, the next time it will probably be full headgear. This time they recommended seeing an orthodontist because I have no contact between two of my teeth, and almost none between another two. This is apparently bad, because of all of the food that gets caught in there. Luckily, Dado recommended floss picks to me, so I've been able to keep it pretty clean with minimal fuss. I think I will skip the orthodontia for now, but I guess I should start saving my pennies. I need my teeth for eating meat. What is the primal take on braces, anyhow? Put some coconut oil on it, or something?

On the bright side, I hadn't been to the dentist since August and the hygienist was very impressed by how little tartar and plaque had built up on my teeth. I didn't mention that I had gone primal in October or talk about diet, so she thought my great check-up was due to my diligent brushing and flossing. She still only gave me one sticker, though. Pfft.

PrimalCon New York
    Mr. SP went to Crossfit with me on Saturday! Mr. SP hates sports. And gyms. And exercise that isn't functional. It's all spandex and douchebags, as far as he's concerned. But I wanted him to come with me to meet the amazing trainers and other people I've met there, and to give him an idea of what we do there, and well, we like to try each other's activities even if it's only once.

Mr. SP is all about chopping wood and lifting heavy buckets and he bikes and walks everywhere. He's naturally lean and muscular looking; he looks like he works out, at least to my biased eye. He doesn't have any shorts, so he had to wear swim trunks. He also doesn't have sneakers, but he does have lightweight hiking shoes, so he wore those. Two surprising things happened: 1) It kicked his ass. I kicked his ass. We were at the beginner's intro class which is no longer hard for me and was surprisingly hard for him - he didn't quite finish the workout and he's still sore. 2) More surprising - he liked it and he's going to try it again. I'm so proud of him - now we just have to get him better shoes and a pair of shorts.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456